T Nation

Creatine for Dogs (Seizures)

Had no clue whether to put this here or in GAL, so I’ll let the mods decide.

Anyone here ever supplement (or currently supplement) creatine to their pets, specifically dogs?

Research shows a neuroprotective benefit from creatine supplementation in mice studies. I’m wondering if this would apply to dogs as well. My dog is currently 13. He has a history of seizures, though not often. I’d like to prolong his life as much as possible. He’s my little buddy.

I must also note that he has minor kidney issues. Nothing serious, but his kidneys work a tad harder than normal. Just a consideration.

Hmmmm I’d be interested in finding out more about those studies you’re talking about…recommendations on a google search?

[quote]forbes wrote:
Had no clue whether to put this here or in GAL, so I’ll let the mods decide.

Anyone here ever supplement (or currently supplement) creatine to their pets, specifically dogs?

Research shows a neuroprotective benefit from creatine supplementation in mice studies. I’m wondering if this would apply to dogs as well. My dog is currently 13. He has a history of seizures, though not often. I’d like to prolong his life as much as possible. He’s my little buddy.[/quote]

This is a huge question! If i were you I would consult your vet. Any self respecting vet will know how to perform a literature search and review of the issue. He’s your little buddy so no reason to take chances. Be patient and consult an authority.

Sure creatine can have some great effects again neuro-degenerative diseases (ex: Huntingtons in a rat model) but at what dose would it have similar effects which reducing side-effects in a canine model? Maybe a vet can help you out with proper dosing.

As far as kidneys are concerned, be sure your vet talks to a nephrologist (do vets specialize in that?) I know of one who still believes that creatine can have adverse side effects on kidney function and i know of MANY who believe that creatine does have adverse side effects on pre-existing kidney issues.

TLDR: Talk to you vet. They should be well versed on the endochrine and internal-medicine aspects of you little buddy! If they roll their eyes at the suggestion/question of creatine supplementation: FUCK THEM. Your pet is not their buddy, he’s yours.