T Nation

Creatine Dangers

I used to be perfectly sure that creatine was fine to take. After all, it is natural and found in foods I eat daily. Now, I am not so sure. I met someone recently who threw me for a bit of a loop.

After talking with him for a short while, I asked what had happend to his arm, which had bad scars and pieces missing. He made the claim that using creatine had caused it. He claimed that it resulted in a blood clot and that many others have experieced similar and worse problems with creatine. He said that he only took it for four months and way below the recommended dosage.

Normally, when someone tells me about the dangers of supplements they seem to be talking out of their ass, but this guy had some pretty convincing evidence (just looking at his arm).

Thoughts?

[quote]magblue wrote:
I used to be perfectly sure that creatine was fine to take. After all, it is natural and found in foods I eat daily. Now, I am not so sure. I met someone recently who threw me for a bit of a loop.

After talking with him for a short while, I asked what had happend to his arm, which had bad scars and pieces missing. He made the claim that using creatine had caused it. He claimed that it resulted in a blood clot and that many others have experieced similar and worse problems with creatine. He said that he only took it for four months and way below the recommended dosage.

Normally, when someone tells me about the dangers of supplements they seem to be talking out of their ass, but this guy had some pretty convincing evidence (just looking at his arm).

Thoughts?[/quote]

lol

[quote]magblue wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

He probably had other medical problems.

The skeptic in me wonders how he could isolate creatine use as the one cause of his blood clot. I would first look at diet, lifestyle, overall health, etc.

[quote]magblue wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Did you ask him if he was using injectable creatine, it was popular to be used with Humulin(insulin) and he encountered issues ? Like he borrowed Pete Doherty’s syringe ? Or maybe he tried to inject Creatine from the tub.

Otherwise there is no fucking way it causes Blood clots.

he said FAT, no creatine.

Fat create clogs, not creatine.

You believe someone before hundreds of scientists who proved it was safe.

Well, at least he still has his arm. I took creatine and it fell off.

hahaha man that gave me my dose of hilarity for the day.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Well, at least he still has his arm. I took creatine and it fell off.[/quote]

That’s just the placebo effect.

Every idiot and his brother has a theory about how this food or that food or this supplement or that supplement is to blame for everything.

True story, I took creatine and my ass hole started bleeding.

On an unrelated note, my girlfriend fucked me with a strapon the other nite.

Pretty much the reaction I was having in my head. I also thought about other medical conditions, other substances. This guy was just so straight face, stone cold, serious about what he was saying. I guess I also just jumped to the conclusion that it was his doctor that told him the source of the problem.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
True story, I took creatine and my ass hole started bleeding.

On an unrelated note, my girlfriend fucked me with a strapon the other nite. [/quote]

she must be on it too then, i heard that was a common side effect.

i tried snorting my creatine through a 100 dollar bill, the next day my dick fell off

this reminds me of the time in the early 90’s when two of my coworkers were talking about creatine. they were saying how it was safe and effective, but you had to be careful and not take too much, because it will make you fat. they didn’t believe me when i told them that all that happens if you take too much is you piss out the excess, since your body has no way to store creatine as fat. amazing.

[quote]njworkoutguy wrote:
i tried snorting my creatine through a 100 dollar bill, the next day my dick fell off[/quote]

Stop stealing my lines (pun intented)

First of all, the damage done to his arm were surgical scars from correcting the blood clot.

Secondly, after researching, the only way he could of gained a blood clot from creatine is through dehydration. It is known that dehydration can lead to blood clots. So, his experience could be a side effect (Creatine->Dehydration) of a side effect (Dehydration->Blood Clot). It would also be his own fault for not drinking enough water.

any compound in the blood or in tissue can offset osmotic balance and cause dehydration. This is only the case when the compound is in extremely high concentrations(not the case with creatine), or you aren’t drinking any damn fluid.

I think considering that muscle is approximately 70% water. If you expect to build any new muscle, aren’t taking in adaquete fluid, and are supplementing creatine…

welll then darwin was right.