Creatine Breaks?

I have been taking a creatine supplement for a long time and i was just woundering on how long are you suposed to cycle off creatine? How long do you take it?

I have been taking it for a month and then taking a two week break. is this wrong?

Well the thing I see wrong with your approach is that if taking the 5g a day for a month then you are just getting saturated and then taking a break.

If you are loading for two weeks then two weeks regular then a break sure your loaded for two weeks but you are literally pissing away a lot of money.

I say buy a jug on monohydrate and take 5 g a day and run the bottle then if you want take a break.

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Well the thing I see wrong with your approach is that if taking the 5g a day for a month then you are just getting saturated and then taking a break.

If you are loading for two weeks then two weeks regular then a break sure your loaded for two weeks but you are literally pissing away a lot of money.

I say buy a jug on monohydrate and take 5 g a day and run the bottle then if you want take a break.

Hope that helps,
Phill[/quote]

There is no evidence to suggest a benefit in “cycling” on/off creatine supplements.

-daMOJO-

This is one of those age-old topics that always crop up.

It’s true that the cycling regimes put forth by marketers are more about repeat loading (and more consumption/ sales). And there’s no consensus of convincing data that creatine is harmful (despite what one may have heard from Blue Cross educational campaigns).

I for one am just a stick in the mud and don’t like the idea of consuming any supplement daily ad infinitum. Over the last 15 years, I’ve just seen too many situations that pan out where a little moderation - like time away from a supplement - has proven helpful even in the most benign situations. But still, I respect everyone’s persoanl choices and creatine sure looks benign to me.

So in other words, creatine does not need to be cycled.

On the other hand, as LL indicated, and as Cy so often mentions, it’s not a bad idea to take a 2 week break from any supplement every 12 weeks or so.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
But still, I respect everyone’s personal choices and creatine sure looks benign to me.
[/quote]

Just because you have PhD doesn’t mean you can force your dogma on us!

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
This is one of those age-old topics that always crop up.

It’s true that the cycling regimes put forth by marketers are more about repeat loading (and more consumption/ sales). And there’s no consensus of convincing data that creatine is harmful (despite what one may have heard from Blue Cross educational campaigns).

I for one am just a stick in the mud and don’t like the idea of consuming any supplement daily ad infinitum. Over the last 15 years, I’ve just seen too many situations that pan out where a little moderation - like time away from a supplement - has proven helpful even in the most benign situations. But still, I respect everyone’s persoanl choices and creatine sure looks benign to me.

[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth. I cycle EVERYTHING, be it something simple like caffeine(coffee) or ZMA or a mulitvatin, or something a little more hardcore like Alpha Male. 5 on/2off, regardless of what it is. I can tell a HUGE difference in something as simple as coffee on a monday morning after I havent taken it since friday.

ANY supp? does anyone cycle protein powder? except that right? right?!