Creatine: Before or After Workout?

In the most recent article concerning creatine (May 2006) it gave some guidelines about the best use for creatine. I am confused because it says that you should take creatine after your workout to prepare you for the next workout, but I have also read on this site that you should not put your creatine in your post-workout protein shake.

I may be thinking about this wrong, but if I take my 8oz. protein shake and then follow right after with my 16oz. creatine drink, wont it just mix up in my stomach? Does this make sense, or should I take the creatine drink maybe like an hour after my workout? I appreciate any help.

Read “Creatine Controversy” by Dave Barr; he goes into great detail on this (hint: during/after is best).

You may be over-thinking this one. Just take your creatine when it’s easiest for you. Why not even just mix it in with your protein?

Idealy, I would say that before and after your workout is best.

The thing I have learned most about creatine over the last 10 years is that there are over 100 billion different opinions on how to use it…and still there seems to be no real right, or wrong.

If you drink Surge PWO, it was designed to put your creatine in. That’s what I do.

I put it in Surge PWO.

When I run out of Surge, I put it in a Gatorade that I’m sipping during training.

I’d say after training as well. Maybe also read this, has some other good info too: http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=193athl2

I do not use Surge, and from what I have read from other posts, it seems that grape juice is another popular drink to use. I looked on the back of the carton and the nutrition for grape juice has ALOT of sugar.

Would I be better off making Kool-Aid with low sugar, or even use splenda as a subsitute with the Kool-Aid?

That’s the point. You need sugar post-workout, and also as a delivery system for creatine. Insulin is your most anabolic hormone, so spiking it after training is essential.

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
That’s the point. You need sugar post-workout, and also as a delivery system for creatine. Insulin is your most anabolic hormone, so spiking it after training is essential.[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks everyone.

I take 10 grams before and after my workout.

I usually put 10 grams in my protein shake which is just water and whey, post workout. However in order to get an insulin spike and carbs I have been drinking pure honey with it. (I find this all easy and convienent since the gym is 30 mins away from home)

Wondering how many grams of sugar is sufficient for the spike and how many are in say… 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of honey?

creatine post-workout is ideal for the volumizing effect, but it must also be noted that in order to get the full benefit (i.e. making it worth taking the stuff at all) it should be taken throughout the day to keep the muscle saturated.

creatine is, in a sense, similar to glycogen in that it leaves the muscle tissue (usually during the same time glycogen is used). i recommend people that take it to take 5g in the morning, 10g post workout, and 5g sometime thereafter.

The problem with taking it in the shakes would be that it could stay stuck on the sides when you’re drinking the shake. (like if you take 5g and 2g is stuck on the side, some is wasted. now keep multiplying that for every time you take creatine) the receptors in the small intestine may have something to do with ‘not taking creatine w/ protein’.

it’s suggested that you should take glutamine 15m before protein for the same reason. I think it’s too inefficient this way … you’d spend your entire day waiting to take supps.

insulin spikes are dependant on your diet. e.g. people that eat 2 meals per day may only require 20g of carbs to spike insulin levels, whereas if you eat 8-10 meals per day it may require 200g for the same effect. i’m sure there are calculators somewhere on the internet, but i highly doubt if it’s an exact science. everyone’s different. I’d guess you would need.

If you’re doing it mainly to increase absorption, go ahead and take a little bit too much. as long as it’s not fructose (or, more correctly, high fructose corn syrup), it should help fill up those glycogen levels without (way) too much ill effects.

[quote]lazyaxus11 wrote:
I usually put 10 grams in my protein shake which is just water and whey, post workout. However in order to get an insulin spike and carbs I have been drinking pure honey with it. (I find this all easy and convienent since the gym is 30 mins away from home)

Wondering how many grams of sugar is sufficient for the spike and how many are in say… 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of honey?[/quote]

1/2 cup of honey has 140g of sugar, 1/3 of a cup has 94g, This is more than you probably need… Since 1/2 of a serving of Surge seems to be enough according to Dave Barr. (1/2 pre, 1/2 post)