T Nation

Creatine = Bad?

Ok, it’s one of those iggnorance vs education type questions. I’ve read lots of stuff from this site, as well as other reputable sources for a few years now so I know my basics and creatine is not directly harmful to you (unless i have missed something along the way). Today my friend (female, who doesnt know much about anything) tells me that protein powders, creatine, etc. are harmful.

I said no thats a pile of shit…she goes on to make a big scene about this (in front of about a dozen people who know less then she does) and says that im arrogant, an idiot etc. etc. to say that i know better then a gr.12 exercise science book. Now basically I was wondering if anyone had some great citations or articles etc. that they could link me to or any particular information. Thanx.

Go to pub med do a search and show not only the studies done on muscle building but things like cognitive function general health etc…

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
Ok, it’s one of those iggnorance vs education type questions. I’ve read lots of stuff from this site, as well as other reputable sources for a few years now so I know my basics and creatine is not directly harmful to you (unless i have missed something along the way). Today my friend (female, who doesnt know much about anything) tells me that protein powders, creatine, etc. are harmful.

I said no thats a pile of shit…she goes on to make a big scene about this (in front of about a dozen people who know less then she does) and says that im arrogant, an idiot etc. etc. to say that i know better then a gr.12 exercise science book. Now basically I was wondering if anyone had some great citations or articles etc. that they could link me to or any particular information. Thanx.[/quote]

You know you’re not going to win this one no matter what evidence you give her. You know she’ll just ignore it and stick with her dumbass ways.

Rather than spend the time providing her with 100s of studies that show why supplementing with creatine is good for you I would go about it a different way.
I would just stop the argument before it started by questioning her facts and reasons or is she just arguing just to have a view opposing to yours.

There are tons of ignorant people in the world that even when you do provide them with facts, previous studies and real world results will still not see the light or just dont want to.
See Ya

I just ignore people like that. I have yet to hear this crap from someone who actually works out. But I hear it all the time from people with bad diets and little to no exercise.

My brother took creatine for a week about 2 years ago and still pretends to be an expert telling me how bad it is. I gave up explaining. I like watching him get more jealous as I get stronger each month.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Rookie21 wrote:
Ok, it’s one of those iggnorance vs education type questions. I’ve read lots of stuff from this site, as well as other reputable sources for a few years now so I know my basics and creatine is not directly harmful to you (unless i have missed something along the way). Today my friend (female, who doesnt know much about anything) tells me that protein powders, creatine, etc. are harmful.

I said no thats a pile of shit…she goes on to make a big scene about this (in front of about a dozen people who know less then she does) and says that im arrogant, an idiot etc. etc. to say that i know better then a gr.12 exercise science book. Now basically I was wondering if anyone had some great citations or articles etc. that they could link me to or any particular information. Thanx.

You know you’re not going to win this one no matter what evidence you give her. You know she’ll just ignore it and stick with her dumbass ways.[/quote]

Exactly. That is why I avoid discussion of this shit with anyone other than maybe people at the gym. It should have never gotten that far. You should have just said, “uh huh” and ignored her while drinking a protein shake.

I always like to put those people on the defensive and have them explain their positions. At best, their arguments usually fall back to relying on the words of “experts.” It only takes a few well-placed questions to leave them looking like stammering idiots.

Her: Creatine is bad for you.

You: Really? Where did you hear that?

Her: I read it.

You: Where did you read it? I’d be interested in reading it, too.

Her: I don’t remember exactly, but I know I read it.

You: If you remember, could you let me know? I’m always interested in hearing about differing opinions on the subject.

Trust me. If you peel back enough layers, you’re eventually going to expose the person’s lack of knowledge.

And if you do it in a polite manner, without arousing resentment, they will either have to agree that they are basically repeating someone else’s opinion without having confirmed it for themselves, or they will become increasingly defensive.

As long as you maintain an objective appearance, they will either have to back off their initial statement or look like a bumbling, hardheaded fool in front of everyone.

I call these people “OprahLogics”. They are just parroting what they hear in the media since they are too lazy to do their own research.

Follow Defenders advice. Learn the truth yourself and then put them on the spot with a few “simple” questions. Don’t expect to change anyone’s opinion though. Sometimes you just have to smile and walk away.

I know I shouldve gone with the “uh huh” method and I usually do, however next semister I am gonna be fed the same BS by my teacher, and i think it would be interesting to be able to NOT agree with what hes teaching and actually be able to back it up because well I know creatine isnt bad for you, but I dont know all the science and whatnot behind it :wink:

[quote]Rookie21 wrote:
I know I shouldve gone with the “uh huh” method and I usually do, however next semister I am gonna be fed the same BS by my teacher, and i think it would be interesting to be able to NOT agree with what hes teaching and actually be able to back it up because well I know creatine isnt bad for you, but I dont know all the science and whatnot behind it ;)[/quote]

That’s also a waste of time. Not only that, but should you actually succeed at putting your teacher on the spot, many of them lack the personalities to take that lightly. Trust me, no one cares that you know that high protein intakes won’t kill you. The goal is to ace the class, not go on a personal war with every doofus you run across.

Yes, you should research this stuff for your own knowledge. However, you will eventually learn that people absolutely hate to feel inferior to anyone and the attitudes that manifest when they do feel that way may alienate you at the wrong times. Call it the “superman effect”. You need to learn to be Clark sometimes.

Rule #1 of arguments (especially of this type): Don’t. You can’t win. For a person to become educated she has to be willing. It is impossible to force ideas on a person, no matter how many facts you present. You can, with all logical certainty, prove your point, but it will never be enough. You will only strengthen her resolve against your cause and elicit resentment within her.

Instead, listen to what the other person has to say, and when she’s done, calmly suggest things that she has no choice but to agree with, slowly making your way to your point. You will have a much greater chance of succeeding this way.

go here and all your questions will be answered Poof

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1085045

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You should have just said, “uh huh” and ignored her while drinking a protein shake. [/quote]

Why stop at that? Shit, you should have injected 500mg test into your jugular.

I would have punched her in the face, along with all of her friends.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
You should have just said, “uh huh” and ignored her while drinking a protein shake.

Why stop at that? Shit, you should have injected 500mg test into your jugular.[/quote]

Hahahahaha

Here’s an article outlining both safety and health benefits: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=768093

BTW-People will believe what they want, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

[quote]naughtybox wrote:
I would have punched her in the face, along with all of her friends.[/quote]

Creatine rage?

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. – William G. McAdoo

Women either.

The strong words post from a couple weeks ago.

Some people are utterly immune to evidence, especially if they’ve already taken a dogmatic stand on an entirely indefensible position. Somewhere along the way I learned to say “I stand corrected”. People know when you’re wrong anyway and you just look like a bigger dunce if you stick by your guns when proven to be in error. Some folks never do learn this.

–Tiribulus->

Are you an Ontario high school student? I’m just wondering what grade 12 textbook says that creatine is unhealthy? I would never tell my students this.

Just tell her that stinky ass is bad for your health but it doesn’t keep you away from her either.

That’ll shut her up.

My reply to others that start in on that is, “are you bigger than me?”, “are you stronger than me?”

If the answer is yes - then I’ll at least listen. If they are wrong, I’ll ask, “did you put on 30 pounds in the last 3 months like I did?” again, if the answer is no - then they know less than I do so I tell them STFU.

You can also point out that, “knowledgable people are not known for giving out incorrect, unsolicited advice”.