Creatine: Bad for Women?

I’ve heard creatin is really bad for women, anyone else hear this?? why would this be?? I’m 5’4, 120 lbs (female) looking to lose body fat and build some muscle. I have a pretty set workout plan, but I’m having a hardtime figuring out the diet part.

Obviously no fatty fast foods and the such, right now I mostly take in grilled chicken, fish, veggies and fruits. little to no carbs (bread or cereal in the morning, someimes rice with dinner). do fat burners work? could I benefit from them? thanks for your help

No its not bad for men or women you can and do get it from food as well

Phill

oh ok, well I guess I meant the supplements in particular.

In all my years of reading and training I’ve never heard this.

Creatine is a naturally occurring substance as Phil said. Anything like sane amounts will not harm males OR females.

creatine is accepted as safe for use in most populations. if you are a healthy individual, then creatine is beneficial. it works as an antioxidant, and helps burn fat among other things (it is among John Berardi’s recommended supp list for fat loss). some studies show that people getting major surgery have better outcomes when creatine is given prior to surgery.

recommended supplementation for someone your size would be anywhere from the 2-3g range (half a scoop of the Biotest stuff - at that rate it will last you half a year) to 10g (2 scoops - 50 days worth). the high end of the dose range is for an athlete training multiple times a day.

dosage is usually after exercise, but can be taken anytime during the day, with meals or in between. as long as you use enough water and a high quality micronized creatine like the Biotest one, there should be no issues. some advanced dosing patterns are taking it inbetween meals along with BCAA and glutamine. see Christian Thibaudeau’s recent article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1615551

another excellent article while we are at it, if you have not seen it, is the 7 habits of highly effective nutrition programs by John Berardi:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

with diet, it is important that you get enough fat. i mention this since there is no list of them in the post.

HOT-ROX extreme is unreal, the se7en is good, BCAA, fish oil, and perhaps CLA are the supplements that will give you the most bang for your buck and when combined with an optimal diet, the rate of progress is astounding. also if your calories are lower, perhaps a multivitamin/multimineral.

hey thanks everyone, guess its just another bogus rumor going around. and thanks for all the diet info too… I’ll definately check all those links!