T Nation

Creatine and Sprint Running

would creatine help me improve my ability and performance in sprints running and sprints endurance (run many sprints, one after another while only a short rest between them) ??
thanks

yes, creatine is useless for long distance, but in sprints it will give you an advantage.

Yes it would certainly help with sprinting it is very popular, many sprinters will use it at some point, mostly the winter, during longer harder sessions, which, depending on the distance you race, would most certainly concentrate on some kind of sprint endurance.

My main concern is the increase in water body weight, i dont wanna gain 5 lbs of water now, i need to stay lean and light as possible for my physical test, 2 months from now.
what do you say about that?
Maybe i can take creatine for the next 45 days, and 1-2 weeks before my physical test i would stop using it? will it still be helpfull for thr test in this way?

the main issue with the water weight is produced through over consumption or uneven water intake, doing the typical ‘loading’ for creatine will for most produce a bloat, however if taking it for 6 weeks continuously, 5 grams before and after the workout then for the first week or so then down to 5g post after that, will limit any water retention as the saturation of the muscle tissue would not be a more gradual process, in my experience the loading phase is pretty much a waste, ive had a good training effect for before and after workout consumption with minimal water retention i also consume close to 2 litres of water before during and after a gym or sprint session, lowering the chances of water retention generally hig consumption water lowers your retention due to your hormonal status - too detailed to get into now.

if you do this and find you are still holding water 1 week out of the test, you can drop the creatine but maintain the same water intake, the muscle will still have a level of saturation 2-3 weeks after stopping supplementation, after roughly 30 days of the above protocol you should have the same saturation level and performance benefits as someone who has undergone a loading phase but with out the bloat!

Just give it a try.

You can always stop using it if you don’t like the effects.

Any water weight gained would be lost in 7 to 10 days.

[quote]antman wrote:
the main issue with the water weight is produced through over consumption or uneven water intake, doing the typical ‘loading’ for creatine will for most produce a bloat, however if taking it for 6 weeks continuously, 5 grams before and after the workout then for the first week or so then down to 5g post after that, will limit any water retention as the saturation of the muscle tissue would not be a more gradual process, in my experience the loading phase is pretty much a waste, ive had a good training effect for before and after workout consumption with minimal water retention i also consume close to 2 litres of water before during and after a gym or sprint session, lowering the chances of water retention generally hig consumption water lowers your retention due to your hormonal status - too detailed to get into now.

if you do this and find you are still holding water 1 week out of the test, you can drop the creatine but maintain the same water intake, the muscle will still have a level of saturation 2-3 weeks after stopping supplementation, after roughly 30 days of the above protocol you should have the same saturation level and performance benefits as someone who has undergone a loading phase but with out the bloat!

[/quote]
Firstly, thanks for your help :slight_smile:
Now, let me just review what you have just said, so ill be sure that i understood you clearly:
-from tomorrow i’ll start taking 5 grams of creatine
before and after a workout (and 5 grams on non workout days right?)
-a week after, only 5 grams after a workout
-large amounts of water during the day, especially close to the workout (before, during and after it)
-if getting bloated to much, drop the creatine a week before my test while keeping the large amounts of water?

Again, thank you for your help

Sorry for the late reply, yes thats it you have got it!

hope this is as successful for you as it has been for me.