Creatine and Fat

I have noticed that when I start taking creatine my stomach fat tends to look a lot bigger.

I know creatine causes you to retain water in your muscle, but does it do that to adipose tissue also?

Has anyone else noticed this happen to?

Does your eating change at asll when you do this??? Add simple sugars etc…??

In reality no you shouldnt what brand are you7 using some cheaper brands can makew it in the gut cause intestinal bloat and distress

Phill

I use Biotest’s brand.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
I have noticed that when I start taking creatine my stomach fat tends to look a lot bigger.

I know creatine causes you to retain water in your muscle, but does it do that to adipose tissue also?

Has anyone else noticed this happen to?[/quote]

I love Biotest Creatine and recommend it to all my clients.

How are you measuring your body fat?

Creatine will not increase body fat levels.

What does your diet look like?

There are a ton of other variables involved here but I can assure you that I have never seen Creatine increase body fat.

It’s all mental. You see visual signs of water being held in your abs, and the first thing that comes to your mind is that you’ve gained fat. Probably because you’re a fat-phobia kind of guy.

It’s just water.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this happen to?[/quote]

I found this on another reputable supplement companies website.

“All other forms of creatine (except creatine ethyl ester) need transporters to enter the muscle. There are only a limited number of natural transporters in the body. This causes any creatine that is left outside of the muscle waiting for transporters to decompose into the waste product creatinine. Also while creatine waits outside the muscle it attracts water causing the puffy, bloated look.”

Does anyone know if this is a valid statement?

Also Just wondering if there’s any reason why Biotest doesn’t have it’s own creatine ethyl ester product?

total BS its just creatine cee with a stinkin ester attached. absorption has never been a problem. Read Dave Barrs article on creatine covers all this marketing hype

Phill

[quote]orinoco wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:

“All other forms of creatine (except creatine ethyl ester) need transporters to enter the muscle. There are only a limited number of natural transporters in the body. This causes any creatine that is left outside of the muscle waiting for transporters to decompose into the waste product creatinine. Also while creatine waits outside the muscle it attracts water causing the puffy, bloated look.”

Also Just wondering if there’s any reason why Biotest doesn’t have it’s own creatine ethyl ester product?

[/quote]

[quote]orinoco wrote:

[/quote]

oh and to address this because theres no need the creapure they sell is better or atb least as good and cheaper. its not like its super secret cee hell i could oder it wholesale in bulk and sell it. its just marketing hype bro

Phill

Really? I remember reading an article by dan duchaine. The basic gist of it was that creatine is best absorbed when in solution, but it’s not very soluble(hence the advice to disolve in luke warm water).

He also stated that micronizing it wouldn’t help, as all that means is you have smaller undisolved particles in suspension. He went on to say that when ingested as a suspension, some of the creatine turns into creatinine due to reactions with stomach acid.

His own solution (both liquid, and the problem solving kind!!) was to take his creatine with an effervescent product, to change the ph of the stomach and to speed gastric emptying.

Also whilst on the absorbability of creatine, I’ve read plenty of articles substantiating the practice of ingesting creatine with simple carbs to raise insulin.

Now to me, this would seem to qualify an argument that absorbability with creatine could reasonably be considered ‘a problem’.

Granted, not a huge one, but it’s a bit of a hassle. I realise that this is a moot point as creatine is cheap, and if you just take an excess, to ensure you’ve saturated your muscles with the stuff…then what’s the problem?

Well, that’s why I asked if anyone knew if the statement posted by the supplement company was valid. If it turns out to be an accurate statement, then there would be an argument for Creatine ethyl ester.

Based on empirical evidence (my own and 3 friends), whilst taking CEE, there does seem to be an increase in definition…but that’s only if you can stop yourself from vomiting. Dave Barr is right, it does taste like ass…and not your GF’s ass just after she’s had a shower, more like the ass of a construction worker who’s not bathed in weeks (I’m just guessing here!!!).

Plus even if the only advantages with CEE are solubility and no need to optimise absorbtion by elevating insulin levels, then it still might have a niche for non-workout days/dieting periods when you want to avoid the extra carbs to spike insulin.

[quote]Phill wrote:
total BS its just creatine cee with a stinkin ester attached. absorption has never been a problem. Read Dave Barrs article on creatine covers all this marketing hype

Phill

orinoco wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:

[/quote]

Bro id love to keep the discussion going etc but very hard for me to type im one handed in a cast lol

its your $$$ i just have had no sign in the use of cee to make it any more valid an option the a good creapure creatine the stuff is easy cheap and effective

just poppin 5g a day in the morning in my hot coffee im all good once saturated its just a matter of staying there nd 5g more then does the job

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Bro id love to keep the discussion going etc but very hard for me to type im one handed in a cast lol[/quote]

What the hell happened Phill?

Oh and I’m also glad you clarified why you were typing one-handed…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Phill wrote:
Bro id love to keep the discussion going etc but very hard for me to type im one handed in a cast lol

Oh and I’m also glad you clarified why you were typing one-handed…[/quote]

One end of his bicep decided to go swimming around in his arm. Two days after re-attachment and the freak boy was in the gym. Phill is not human :wink:

[quote]4est wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Oh and I’m also glad you clarified why you were typing one-handed…

One end of his bicep decided to go swimming around in his arm. Two days after re-attachment and the freak boy was in the gym. Phill is not human ;)[/quote]

lol that about sums it up thx 4est total detachment of right distal bicep tendon on long head been in cast post surgery 4 weeks now two more weeks in this then splint then who the hell knows

going well still hitting it as hard as i can

Phill

[quote]orinoco wrote:
His own solution (both liquid, and the problem solving kind!!) was to take his creatine with an effervescent product, to change the ph of the stomach and to speed gastric emptying.
[/quote]

Do you remember whether he was trying to change the ph toward base or acid?

[quote]Phill wrote:

its your $$$ i just have had no sign in the use of cee to make it any more valid an option the a good creapure creatine the stuff is easy cheap and effective

just poppin 5g a day in the morning in my hot coffee im all good once saturated its just a matter of staying there nd 5g more then does the job

Phill

[/quote]

No, i agree with you phil. I’ve been taking creapure continually for 10+ years with the exception of only about 2 weeks. Unfortunately however I do notice weaker results if I don’t take it with 40+ grams of dextrose.

If I could take it like you do, just in a cup of coffee, then I’d similarly have no reason to try anything else.

I was surprised to find myself less puffy/more defined when I tried the CEE. That’s why I thought the explanation of excess creatine attracting water outside the muscle might have something to it.

Bummer about your arm mate. Hope it isn’t your wanking hand. :wink:

[quote]orinoco wrote:

No, i agree with you phil. I’ve been taking creapure continually for 10+ years with the exception of only about 2 weeks. Unfortunately however I do notice weaker results if I don’t take it with 40+ grams of dextrose.

If I could take it like you do, just in a cup of coffee, then I’d similarly have no reason to try anything else.

I was surprised to find myself less puffy/more defined when I tried the CEE. That’s why I thought the explanation of excess creatine attracting water outside the muscle might have something to it.
[/quote]

well hell id say problem solved lol the extra puffy/ less defined thing could very very likly be the difference in intake the addition of simple sugars in the 40+ range everytime you take it.

have you tried a month at just taking it once a day any time no matter use a hot liquid tea, even just water maybe a lil sodium as Cy Willson has pointed that may be more beneficial then the sugars that really arent needed to store creatine. worth a try no?

Thanks
no worries there bro its one of the activities in a switch hitter in its like having a new girl friend :stuck_out_tongue:

Phill

[quote]P1 wrote:
orinoco wrote:

Do you remember whether he was trying to change the ph toward base or acid?[/quote]

The idea was to increase the ph in the stomach, as the acids convert creatine to creatinine. Also taking the bicarb of soda was meant to trigger gastric emptying(decreasing exposure to the stomach even more) into the duodenum where the creatine gets absorbed.

On non training days I used to chuck 10 gms glutamine and 5 gms creatine into about a litre(slightly over 2pints) of luke warm water along with an effervescent vitamin c. The idea was to maximise solubility,decrease stomach acid exposure and speed up gastric emptying.

Have no idea if it was effective as I only have an off day every third day - and any decrease in muscle creatine levels would have been gradual/marginal.

CEE seems to allow me to forego spiking insulin on a non-training day…but thinking about it, the 40+ grms of dextrose could be the cause of the smoothing out and nothing to do with the CEE.

It would be handy if any of the authors could shed some light on the statement about excess creatine attracting water outside the muscle.
I’m sure they’ve got time-a-plenty to devote to this pivotal issue!! :wink:

oh, I see you came to the carb conclusion before me…haha.
I can be a bit slow, I am welsh afterall.

Although, I seemed to have a bit more definition 24/7. Obviously I take creatine in with my PWO shake, so it’s only two out of every 6 days that I should notice less puffyness if it was solely the dextrose. This wouldn’t explain the slightly better conditioning everyday.

Perhaps I’m imagining it…who knows - and after devoting a little too much time to the issue -who cares.

Wow thats a lot of effort on the creatine. I just mix with tap water at high concentrations. I hate the way it tastes so I just shoot it fast and don’t want to drink lots of stuff mixed with it. Works great for me however. Takes about 5-8 days of 5g a day for me to put on about 5lbs of water weight. Takes about 5-8 days to lose that weight again.