T Nation

Created a Split for Size

Hi everyone…new to this forum.

I’ve spent a few days reading posts and articles here, and finally, using “How to Design a Damn Good Program, Part 1” by Christian Thibaudeau, I’ve created my new workout.

For the past 4 months I’ve been using Chad Waterbury’s TBT training and have progressed more in that time in terms of strength than I have in all the years I’ve been working out. Of course, it helps that I committed to following the program and to a decent diet.

I created a “Split for Size” using Thibaudeau’s article and plan to stick to it for 2 months to see how it goes.

For now, I have one main question…and I’ll pose an example to make it easy.

On Horizontal Push/Pull day, do you do all the pushes THEN the pulls, or do you alternate and do push, pull, push, pull, etc?

Last night was my first night on the workout and I alternated. I felt good…but I’m wondering what the split experts say.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

[quote]IvanTheTerrible wrote:

I’ve spent a few days reading posts and articles here, and finally, using “How to Design a Damn Good Program, Part 1” by Christian Thibaudeau, I’ve created my new workout.

For the past 4 months I’ve been using Chad Waterbury’s TBT training and have progressed more in that time in terms of strength than I have in all the years I’ve been working out. Of course, it helps that I committed to following the program and to a decent diet.

I created a “Split for Size” using Thibaudeau’s article and plan to stick to it for 2 months to see how it goes.

On Horizontal Push/Pull day, do you do all the pushes THEN the pulls, or do you alternate and do push, pull, push, pull, etc?

Last night was my first night on the workout and I alternated. I felt good…but I’m wondering what the split experts say.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan
[/quote]

To each his own. I alternate, frequently super setting. I also start with the lagging body parts.

I like to alternate the movements, since I normally have a limited amount of time to work out, and I find that I can get more sets in by working an antagonist muscle group instead of just resting and repeating the same exercise.

Thanks for the reply.
One more thing… is doing any cardio or interval training counter-productive to my workout, keeping in mind that I am going for size? I have some fat that I’d like to burn, but I’m eating okay and working out hard so I assume that should take care of it. Any comments would be greatly very helpful.

-I

Maybe it is counter-productive, maybe not. It is very hard to say from far away.
It could be the case that you gain size despite cardio training, but you also cant gain size. Okay its not a super correct answer but i heard a lot of opinions on that.

[quote]
I have some fat that I’d like to burn, but I’m eating okay and working out hard so I assume that should take care of it.[/quote]
I think i would try it in the way you do if you would do cardio only to burn fat.
If you gain size and getting fat, reduce your calories, if you gain size and getting low fat, great thing, if you doesn`t gain size, your calorie intake is to low, but i think you know that point :smiley:
You can stear a lot through nutrition, you should take infos on this to see what works together (gain size and lose weight on the same time or not)
Hope to help you a little bit, but i think you will get a lot more answers.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan
[/quote]

I do all my sets for a push exercise then all my sets for a pull exercise, etc. But that’s because my gym is crowded and if I’m using 2 exercises/machines at once, one will usually get stolen

[quote]bmitch wrote:
I do all my sets for a push exercise then all my sets for a pull exercise, etc. But that’s because my gym is crowded and if I’m using 2 exercises/machines at once, one will usually get stolen[/quote]

I think you guys are referring more to supersetting than alternating. As an example, I did my 4 sets of bench press, followed by 4 sets of bent over rows, followed by 4 sets of incline dumbell press, etc…

Is this approach okay, or do you need to overload the muscle group you are working to obtain max growth?

My concern with doing all the push first is that when I get to my pulls, I’ll be more tired… thoughts?

BTW, thanks for all the replies.

-I

If you are new to lifting weights there is nothing wrong when you do it like you described it in your post.
You have a lot of possibilities. I for example start with bench press, then incline db press, followed by Seated Cable Row superset with Face Pulls.

You see i do push first and then my pull exercises. And it works but i think it depends on your personal preferences, your gym and how many people are in it with you etc. pp.
I think you will find a lot of interesting stuff when you search in the forum or in the article section.
Both ways can be hard if you train hard.

They are both hard… lol… just trying to maximize my gains.

I know what you mean but its hard to say what maximize your gains. None of us can say "this work for you the best". Try what you like best, train hard and the gains will come. Patience is the key. Rome was not build in a day (old but true saying) Change is also a key. If something dont get you the results you want, try something different or change the set/rep plan, the exercises, the pause between the sets etc. Be creative.

Great…thanks Bartleby83.

By any chance, do you want to comment on the cardio part of the question?

Thanks,
-I

I thought i answered this question :slight_smile:
But for you i will do it another time.

Cardio is not a must to burn fat. Its always the question how much fat do you want to burn. If it is much then some extra cardio could make sense but then gaining size will be difficult. If you have not so much fat then you can leave cardio out of your plan. Be active and train, eat healthy and rest. Its sometimes a problem when you would lose fat and gain max size in a short term. You can try to lose some fat and get little muscle but you would not gain max size and lose max fat. When you gain max size, you will also add fat. It`s mostly the question how much.

Maybe someone has experience with some nutritional plan which combines fat loss and weight gain in a good balance.
In this case i have to pass :slight_smile: I only heard that the metabolic diet could work, but i don`t have practical experience with it.

Thanks man…sorry…i just realized you had answered that already, and I appreciate that you didnt give me a hard time about it.

I can give you another advice…read what you can find about your issue, also in the forum. There are people who have more experience like me and maybe they have an other opinion on your task
But i hope i could help you for that moment.

bmitch wrote:
I do all my sets for a push exercise then all my sets for a pull exercise, etc. But that’s because my gym is crowded and if I’m using 2 exercises/machines at once, one will usually get stolen

I think you guys are referring more to supersetting than alternating. As an example, I did my 4 sets of bench press, followed by 4 sets of bent over rows, followed by 4 sets of incline dumbell press, etc…

Is this approach okay, or do you need to overload the muscle group you are working to obtain max growth?

My concern with doing all the push first is that when I get to my pulls, I’ll be more tired… thoughts?

BTW, thanks for all the replies.

-I[/quote]

That’s fine… there’s a bunch of different ways to do it… IMO it doesn’t really make much of a difference though