Crazy workout yesterday

Great workout yesterday. Hit a 405 floor press after having done roughly 40 sets of heavy pressing!!! (no kidding). Despite having a regular bench press max of 445 I never floor pressed more than 375 before so I’m psyched!

The workout was as follow to give you an idea:

1. Shoulder press from pins starting at the chin 5 sets of 3 reps
  2. Shoulder press from pins starting at forehead 5 sets of 3
  3. Shoulder press from pins 4" from lockout 5 sets of 3
  4. Javelin thrower press 5 sets of 5 per arm
  5. Standing military press we did 8 sets of 3 reps
  6. Incline bench press 5 sets of 3 reps, 1 set of 1 rep
  7. Floor press working our way to a a 1RM with sets ranging from 3 down to 1 rep.

NOTE: all of these exercises were “ramped up” meaning that only the last set was a near max effort. The other sets where in the 75-85% range. Heavy enough to cause a training effect, not high enough to cause neural fatigue.

P.S. This was an extreme workout because the stars were aligned for both my partner and I and we just “had IT” on that day, I do not recommend such a workout or do it on a regular basis.

I REPEAT WE DO NOT DO THAT KIND OF WORKOUT ON A REGULAR BASIS. IT WAS ONCE OF THESE DAYS WHERE WE WERE BOTH INVINCIBLE AND SIMPLY WANTED TO SEE HOW MUCH VOLUME WE COULD DO.

I didn’t actually plan on doing the floor press or incline press. But my partner Nick beat me for the first time on a pressing exercise (presses from pins) and I know the incline and floor press are not his best lifts, so I decided to put him back in his place :slight_smile:

Do you use a standard barbell or the shorter curling straight barbell for your Javelin Thrower Presses?

I incorporated these presses into my training after reading one of your articles about a year ago… I have been using a standard barbell and am now up to pressing 70 lbs for 5-6 reps per arm for 5-6 sets… I have really benefitted from performing them as they have helped my Push Press (my 1RM is now 220 lbs.) and definitely my Incline Press which is at 215 lbs. now.

Thanks.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Great workout yesterday. Hit a 405 floor press after having done roughly 40 sets of heavy pressing!!! (no kidding). Despite having a regular bench press max of 445 I never floor pressed more than 375 before so I’m psyched!

7. Floor press working our way to a a 1RM with sets ranging from 3 down to 1 rep.

NOTE: all of these exercises were “ramped up” meaning that only the last set was a near max effort. The other sets where in the 75-85% range. Heavy enough to cause a training effect, not high enough to cause neural fatigue.

P.S. This was an extreme workout because the stars were aligned for both my partner and I and we just “had IT” on that day, I do not recommend such a workout or do it on a regular basis.

I REPEAT WE DO NOT DO THAT KIND OF WORKOUT ON A REGULAR BASIS. IT WAS ONCE OF THESE DAYS WHERE WE WERE BOTH INVINCIBLE AND SIMPLY WANTED TO SEE HOW MUCH VOLUME WE COULD DO.

I didn’t actually plan on doing the floor press or incline press. But my partner Nick beat me for the first time on a pressing exercise (presses from pins) and I know the incline and floor press are not his best lifts, so I decided to put him back in his place :)[/quote]

VERY impressive, Thibs!

Lifting Partner + Excellent Execution of Autoregulation = INVINCIBLE workout

Was this workout performed in the beginning of the day or afternoon/evening?

So is this a good push workout to do say 2 times a week?

Lol, I’m sorry, only kidding. It’s nice to get a lot of great info from a guy who has the strength and experience to back up his ideas!

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:
So is this a good push workout to do say 2 times a week?

Lol, I’m sorry, only kidding. It’s nice to get a lot of great info from a guy who has the strength and experience to back up his ideas![/quote]

LOL, you beat me to the joke. You know how some sites where you sign up for stuff they make you read an agreement and click “I agree” before you can proceed further? Pretty soon, Thibs is going to need something like that before you can read his posts or articles.

Feel free to use this one:

THE READER OF THIS POST HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE FOLLOWING WORKOUT WAS PERFORMED ON A ONE-TIME BASIS ONLY AND IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE DONE ON A REGULAR BASIS OR EVEN TO BE REPEATED. IT WAS PERFORMED ON THE SPOT DUE TO THE FACT THAT CHRISTIAN THIBAUDEAU AND HIS WORKOUT PARTNER WERE FEELING VERY GOOD ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY. IT IS NOT INTENDED AS A RECOMMENDATION FOR A WORKOUT NOR IS IT PART OF ANY TYPE OF “PROGRAM.” IF, DUE TO LACK OF READING COMPREHENSION OR SHEER STUPIDNESS, THE READER SHOULD ATTEMPT THIS WORKOUT, THE READER RELEASES CHRISTIAN THIBAUDEAU, HIS HEIRS AND ASSIGNS, AS WELL AS NICK THE WORKOUT PARTNER, HIS HEIRS AND ASSIGNS, FROM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, BOTH PHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL, THAT MAY RESULT FROM ATTEMPTING THIS WORKOUT.

_____ I AGREE

[quote]Ricochet wrote:
Do you use a standard barbell or the shorter curling straight barbell for your Javelin Thrower Presses?

I incorporated these presses into my training after reading one of your articles about a year ago… I have been using a standard barbell and am now up to pressing 70 lbs for 5-6 reps per arm for 5-6 sets… I have really benefitted from performing them as they have helped my Push Press (my 1RM is now 220 lbs.) and definitely my Incline Press which is at 215 lbs. now.

Thanks.[/quote]

I use a regular olympic bar

[quote]Eric Buratty wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

I didn’t actually plan on doing the floor press or incline press. But my partner Nick beat me for the first time on a pressing exercise (presses from pins) and I know the incline and floor press are not his best lifts, so I decided to put him back in his place :)[/quote]

VERY impressive, Thibs!

Lifting Partner + Excellent Execution of Autoregulation = INVINCIBLE workout

Was this workout performed in the beginning of the day or afternoon/evening?[/quote]

Evening, at 5pm

NICE!
GJ

How long do you rest between sets when you start getting close to near maximum weights?

[quote]JosephT123 wrote:
How longs do you rest between sets when you start getting close to near maximum weights?[/quote]

I have no idea. I always go when I feel ready and never bothered to try to find out how long that was

CT, was the pin work done seated or standing? I don’t believe that i have read about you doing overhead standing work from the pins, not that i’m sure you haven’t but i’ve been wanting to try a standing overhead from the pins to get activated for a military press so i’m curious about it.

[quote]JosephT123 wrote:
How long do you rest between sets when you start getting close to near maximum weights?[/quote]

=Autoregulate - but remember, probably not too many as in tune with body signals as Thibs - it’s a learned skill

[quote]Eazy wrote:
CT, was the pin work done seated or standing? I don’t believe that i have read about you doing overhead standing work from the pins, not that i’m sure you haven’t but i’ve been wanting to try a standing overhead from the pins to get activated for a military press so i’m curious about it.[/quote]

Ideally I’d do it standing. In Colorado we have the Collegiate power rack from EliteFTS which are super tall and have holes up to the top. At the gym I train at we have two regular power racks where the holes stop 3/4 of the way up so I have to do them seated.

Thib

Can you explain how a ‘Javelin thrower press’ is performed please? Is on end of the BB on the floor, with plate loaded at the pressing end (An excercise I use sometimes myslef), or the BB pressed over head from the shoulder position?

Strong by the way…Impressive, good job. It’s awesome when you have a workout like that, and you never know when it’s gonna be. Makes my day, especially when it’s a leg work-out.

Thanks

moog

[quote]moogweasel wrote:
Thib

Can you explain how a ‘Javelin thrower press’ is performed please? Is on end of the BB on the floor, with plate loaded at the pressing end (An excercise I use sometimes myslef), or the BB pressed over head from the shoulder position?

Strong by the way…Impressive, good job. It’s awesome when you have a workout like that, and you never know when it’s gonna be. Makes my day, especially when it’s a leg work-out.

Thanks

moog[/quote]

Easier if you can visualize it:

Sweet spandex!

Just skip ahead to 1:00 to get the idea.

What’s the benefit of Javelin Throw Presses?

[quote]tolismann wrote:
What’s the benefit of Javelin Throw Presses?[/quote]

In the context of CT’s and Nick’s productive workout, the Javelin Throw Presses (a unilateral/one-limb movement) served as a great deltoid potentiation technique prior to performing the standing military presses. Optimal execution (timing/rep quality) of potentiation exercises during a workout enhances the effect of autoregulation when training.

Haha, nice! Had a few of those days, the feeling is undescribable… you’re in the zone and is doesn’t seem to finish, breaking through plateaus as if it’s just so easy.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]JosephT123 wrote:
How long do you rest between sets when you start getting close to near maximum weights?[/quote]

=Autoregulate - but remember, probably not too many as in tune with body signals as Thibs - it’s a learned skill[/quote]

Perhaps this is a good place to ask - I’ve been trying to include as much as possible ideas and concepts CT shares here in my workouts, with special emphasis to perfect rep, but one thing is still mystery to me - autoregulation. Not in terms of rest between sets, but capturing a moment when ramping should be terminated. I have read several times the theory, watched the videos, I know about speed decrease, etc. however I’m never certain how far shall I go. I relize this is a skill and requires experience, however if you have any hints that could help me with this that would be great.

Wow, that’s an awesome workout!!!