Crazy Spartan Training :P

Ok, so I think that I got something new here…(I didn’t really find anything like this on the site) Anyways tell me what you guys think…

Everyday in the morning:
My modified Spartan 300 training routine

25 chin-ups

25 Deadlifts (135lbs)

25 Push ups

25 Sit ups (or various ab exercises)

25 single-arm clean-and-presses (35 dumbbell lbs ea. arm)

25 chin-ups

25 Deadlifts (135lbs)

25 Push ups

25 Sit ups (or various ab exercises)

25 single-arm clean-and-presses (35 dumbbell lbs ea. arm)

And on Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

Heavy lifting like:
Monday - Back & Bi’s/ Legs

Wednesday - Chest, Tri’s, Shoulders/ Legs

Friday - Back, Bi’s, Chest, Tri’s, Shoulders/ Legs

So what do you guys think? It’s going to be ridiculously hard for me at the beginning because I just did “Spartan Morning Training” and I’m surprised that I didn’t collapse, and I couldn’t even do all of it, I only did like 16 chins each time…and those single hand cleans
killed me.

P.S. It’s funny how after that movie everyone is really interested in “Spartan Training”, myself included.

Why is this training called spartan training? Hopefully not because of the 300 movie :wink:

I also think many people need to understand how the cast of the film aren’t actually spartan, and I’m sure you can find out exactly how they were trained – although I already heard somewhere that even better procedures could have been applied.

gymjones.com?

Ah, sorry, just actually checked out gymjones.com and saw the “spartan workout” they list there.

I hope I didn’t sound too harsh, the incredible craze surrounding this movie is just getting to be a bit much :wink:

Thats pretty cool actually. Im going to cut and paste this for myself.

Thanks!

This is f’ing silly. Read more than just the sample workouts on the gymjones website and you’ll see that the actual workout ‘300’ was used only very occaisionally, and only as a sort of “final exam” for the stunt crew and actors. Their day-to-day routines were largely randomized, and thus extremely varied. Doing that every day will no more make you a spartan than walking around town in leather underwear and a cape will.

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
Doing that every day will no more make you a spartan than walking around town in leather underwear and a cape will.[/quote]

LOL

Have fun overtraining with that too.

You’ll make a little bit of progress, then your body will grind to halt until you become extremely sick or injured. If you didn’t have access to modern nutrition or medicine, you could die.

These consequences were acceptable to the Spartans - permanent injury and death during training was frequent and expected. They didn’t care if one particular individual was weeded out of training. You probably do.

Read the gymjones site again - they don’t suggest that anyone train like that. Why forget everything you’ve learned about periodization because of one movie?

so…I shouldn’t keep doing it?

Maybe every other day? Because my goal is to be able to do that whole thing with no rest in one go… without dying…but also gain some mass…hence the regular lifting three times a week.

You’re not neceessarily going to die if you do this. It’s not going to make you look like one of the guys from the movie though. If you like this style of training, you should go over to gymjones or crossfit.com and look over their methodologies before diving in head-first.

This is something they used as an evaluation of fitness.

If you want to be able to do it, train yourself as well as you can, and perhaps every 4-6 weeks, see how well you do at this “test”.

From there you can find out how effective or ineffective your training regiment is, to achieve the fitness required to perform well at this particular test.