Crazy PWO Hunger

I’m new to proper nutrition and, I have to admit, even to proper training. But I’m learning fast.

So, I will probably purchase Surge and experiment with it. But until then, I’m doing the next best thing: just swallow up a scoop of whey protein plus some simple carbs immediately after the work-out.

And here’s my question:
Pretty much every time I do this (take the post-workout protein/carbs combo), approx. two hours after that, I’m overwhelmed by the mother of all cravings for food! I feel I could literally bite into a living pig and swallow it raw.
Why? What’s the cause? Should I follow my craving and stuff myself up?

I’m still pretty scrawny, hard-gainer, not an ounce of fat and it seems I can do anything and my body fat percentage won’t increase.
So stuffing my face is probably not going to hurt me. But I’m still puzzled by the effect of the post-workout protein/carbs combo - a double puzzle if you think that I’m borderline anorexic!

If I don’t take the post-workout combo, I am a little bit hungry, due to all the effort and whatnot, but it’s nothing like the bestial hunger triggered by the combo.
If I take the combo at any other time, nothing happens out of the ordinary.

Any hint at an explanation is greatly appreciated.

Have carbs and protein before you work out. Again, after. Again, 1 hour after. These last two should be liquid. Then have a solid meal 1-2 hours after (whenever you get hungry).

yeah, the shake afterwards is pretty much used for immediate recovery rather than a meal. i’m the same way if i don’t get some actual food a couple hours later. take your shake, then fix up something nice and balanced for later.

Are you trying to gain weight? If so, go ahead and eat that pig…for an appetizer.

We will squash that “hard gainer” mentality in a few weeks. Keep a FOOD LOG for 2 weeks… PLEASE. Track every single calorie that enters your mouth. If you aren’t hitting at least 3,000 we’ll know why its been so hard to gain!

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Are you trying to gain weight? If so, go ahead and eat that pig…for an appetizer.[/quote]

:slight_smile:

Well, here’s the thing:
I could never eat too much. If I do, I tend to get sick - strangely, I don’t throw up or anything, but rather catch a cold, feel “stuffed”, things like that.

I’m 36 but I look younger, I pass all physical exams with flying colors, enjoy a very good health, so I figured I must be doing something right, right?

Anyway, it will not be too difficult to eat a lot, now that I figured this trick with the PWO combo. I’ll milk it for all its worth and we’ll see where it takes me.

don’t worry about the PWO window so much, just know that you need to eat sugary carbs and protein.

It sounds to me like you WANT to put on mass, if not disregard everything I am about to say.

Read around a little bit on the site. If you want to get bigger, you need to eat bigger. Eating a good amount of food will eventually become commonplace and won’t make you sick after a while.

“Where there’s a will there’s a way”

OK, I think I’ve found the cause:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459463

[quote]The other thing that needs to be addressed with Surge is how quickly it shoots up (and subsequently drops) blood sugar levels. While we really want this big insulin spike, you might need to have some other kind of carbohydrate to consume within half an hour of drinking Surge; otherwise your blood sugar could drop too quickly and you might not feel well.

Of course, hundreds of people have consumed Surge and not eaten for an hour or more afterwards with no problem, so this is really an individual thing. (Also, some people report liking this pleasantly loopy feeling!) From a glycogen storage perspective, however, this may be a little more cause for concern. If our blood sugar drops too low, our bodies may kick into a state of gluconeogenesis, where we actually start to break down what little stored glycogen we have left ? the exact opposite of what we want.

Based on this, you want to be sure to stabilize your blood sugar levels before your second drink or next meal.[/quote]

It’s probably just the sugar levels dropping way down one hour post-Surge. David Barr recommends to “sip simple carb containing beverage like grape juice or sugar water” 25 minutes PWO, which makes sense to me now.

Simple.

Your hungry out of fuel. Take the Surge and 45-60 mins later EAT.