T Nation

Crazy Old School Lifts

I was doing a search for how to do a steinborn squat, and came across this site:

http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/steinbornlift/4512451541

Scrolling down, I come across the words “bent arm pullover” and see a picture of a guy with 430 pounds in his hands, doing a pullover!

I can’t copy the picture, and when I copy the link, it only brings me to the steinborn lift picture, so to see it you’d have to scroll over the bottom red arrow below the names of the lifts.

There are a lot more great old time looking pictures on the site, so I thought I’d share.

Thanks for posting the link. Those are some crazy lifts. The two dudes Clean & Jerking 605lbs is just plain nuts…

Thanks for the link. Some of those are crazy… Tough stuff!!

Some look crazy, some look like excellent exercises for working out with just a barbell and a few square feet of space. I’ve been thinking of including the Jefferson lift, bent press and one-arm Oly lifts in a program sometime. Good thing I have a bushy mustache.

Interesting that the one-arm clean and jerk included turning 90 degrees when jumping during the clean part. Coach John Davies wrote an article about the lift here (http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460025) which doesn’t include the change of direction.

here it is

Click on the Leg Press… yeah, that looks safe. Is the old codger the guy for whom Zercher Squats are named?

These are awesome, the tandem shit is crazy.

That leg press one is great as well. I get nervous when doing those by myself sometime on the smith, haha.

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Click on the Leg Press… yeah, that looks safe. Is the old codger the guy for whom Zercher Squats are named?[/quote]

[quote]rniel wrote:
here it is[/quote]

Thanks! I couldn’t figure out how to get that image.

As for those leg presses, just looking at that picture scared me. I wouldn’t trust myself with just the bar. At least they should have something to catch the bar just in case it slipped off.

Maybe some larger plates so if it landed, the bar wouldn’t hit your chest, or face.

Some of those lifts are insane! My mouth dropped open when I saw some of that. That is some impressive shit. The pullover was ridiculous. I think I’m going to incorporate some of those lifts. I noticed that many of those guys weren’t that big, yet their strength is incredible. I’d like to see their set/rep scheme and how often they lifted. Inspiring stuff!

I remember hearing that the old-time strongmen just did a shitload of singles. (Presumably in between growing handlebar mustaches and riding vehicles powered by steam.)

In any case, a lot of that looks fun, some of it looks incredibly complicated to execute (how the hell would you coordinate a two-person C&J?) and a couple things just look weird.

Once I get my space together, maybe I’ll give the bent press a try, or some other stuff. Looks neat.

and some of us on here think we get weird looks from neighbors and/or fellow gym goers for doing things like olympic lifts, car pushing, etc. imagine doing that “teeth lift” that is illustrated there.

More obscure lifts here:

http://www.usawa.com/rules.html

No pictures but the descriptions are scary enough… rolling a loaded bar down your back from a hack squat position to a good morning position?

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
More obscure lifts here:

http://www.usawa.com/rules.html

No pictures but the descriptions are scary enough… rolling a loaded bar down your back from a hack squat position to a good morning position?[/quote]

F7. Total Poundage

The accepted time limit is two hours, fifty minutes. The lifter may choose any manner of lifting and may choose any number of sets and reps. Each repetition must be completed to count. Total poundage will be recorded for the time limit.

B13. Zeigler Clean

A weight plate, not smaller than 1.5 kilos (or 2.5 lbs), will be placed upon the head of the lifter. The lifter will clean the barbell in any legal fashion. The lift is sucessful if both the clean attempt is sucessful, and the weight plate remains on the lifter’s head. The plate may not be attached in any manner.

I can’t wait until tomorrow.

Here’s another good one for getting kicked out of a gym. I would love to see video of this…

E32. Lano Lift

Using a standard Olympic bar, bring the bar from the floor to a position resting on the clavicles or the chest above the nipples or on the arms fully bent. On command, press or jerk the bar to fully extended arm’s length overhead. Lower the bar behind the neck to a position at rest on the shoulders at the base of the neck. Bend the torso forward about 45 degrees and release the hand’s grip on the bar. Quickly extend the arms, palms up, alongside the torso, balancing the bar on the shoulders and extended arms. Allow gravity to slowly roll the bar down the back until it rolls off over the buttocks. Catch the bar in the hands at arms’s length. Stand erect, holding the bar in the hands, then shrug the bar into position higher than the top of the buttocks. Bending the knees, lean forward until the head is a little lower than the bent knees. Release the hand’s grip on the bar, extending the arms backwards alongside the torso to help control the bar as gravity rolls it towards a position on the shoulders at the base of the neck. Regrasp the bar and stand erect. Jerk or press the bar to arm’s length, remaining motionless for two seconds. A command is given to return the bar to the floor.

man those guys were crazy, I love it

real “functional training” at its best

There are good points to come from these whack exercises … fit them into supplementary work in a westside template.

I’d like to see some of those old competitions come back they’d be fun.

Looking at these pics has the potential to inspire muscleheads the same way jackass inspired teenagers to do stupid shit.

About half of the stuff on that site looks like good ideas to add into one’s workout

The other half just looks completely dangerous and absurd.

I want to try it all.