Crazy Idea: Blood/Nutrient Supply

Ok, this may sound completely ridiculous and will probably be badly wrong but, I was thinking the other day that when you tie an elastic band around your finger, it cuts-off/restricts the blood supply to that particular area.

Now, if you worked out just your upper body in one workout and not your legs at all, and then cut off your blood supply to your legs somehow, that this would increase the supply of blood to the upper body providing the upper body muscles with more blood and all that good stuff meaning greater gains. Of course this can only be done for a short period.

Yeah, a crazy stupid idea. And i’m not suggesting that anyone does this or that have tried this in the past either, but I’d like like to know what you think of such an idea.

So, what you think?
(And be serious)

Cutting off the blood supply to your legs requires quite a bit of compression. The Femoral nerve runs in close proximity to the femoral artery and vein. Repeated use of tourniquets could easily cause nerve damage.

Cutting off the blood supply for any length of time can also encourage vascular damage and clot formation which could result in a Pulmonary embolism.

The pain of the endeavor would result in sympathetic activation and the release of fight or flight hormones possibly increasing your performance temporarily. snort

If you wanted to increase the vascular supply to the upper body you would need to wrap the legs in an Esmarch bandage tightly from the toes to the groin to push as much blood as possible back to the core and then place the TK to prevent refilling, otherwise you’re just compartmentalizing. Doing both legs at once though could raise the Blood Pressure like a pair of MAST Trousers.

It’s an interesting thought. I wouldn’t advise it, but it is interesting.

Isn’t there some crazy technique like this already?

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ijktr/1/1/1_1/_article

I’ll stick to hard work and supplements. Sounds like too much hassle and risk lol

Like anything…go ahead and try it. Before you tighten up the tourniquet, dial 9-1 on your phone, then, if you feel your heart explode in your chest or your testicles start to swell to the size of a watermelon go ahead and hit 1 again. LOL

Doing the leg wrap from the toes to the groin is a better idea as suggested

Your theory assumes a major drop in concentration of nutrients in the blood as it passes through muscle.

If there were such a drop then a greater rate of blood flow would lessen the drop, and thus allow a higher concentration of nutrients at the tail end of the blood flow through the muscle.

However, if venous level of nutrients is similar to arterial, then there would be no room for improvement.

The only values I’m aware of, glucose and oxygen, are shown to be almost identical.

if i could just somehow transplant my head atop Phil heath’s body i’d be good to go!

Damn it.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
if i could just somehow transplant my head atop Phil heath’s body i’d be good to go!

Damn it.[/quote]

You fool!! Phil Heath’s not functional!!

not functional is the excuse fat fuckers and skinny bastards alike use to down play how good cat’s like Phil Heath look.

“i have lots of functional strength,” often translates into it’s o.k. that i don’t look good naked because… I ARE STRONG!

did you see the new comic book called “Average looking but really strong guy?” You never saw it because nobody is buying that shit!

Try this and report back. Remember, don’t give up and loosen the knots if it gets tough. Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
did you see the new comic book called “Average looking but really strong guy?” You never saw it because nobody is buying that shit![/quote]

lol awesome.