Crazy Eights!

I created a routine I call “Crazy Eights” which involves squatting (but I have used it for other areas as well). You take your weight and multiply it by 121 then you squat that weight for 8 sets of 8 reps. with only :88 seconds between sets. I do all squats to a 14" bucket, just barely touching and coming back up (I am 5’ 10"). Also, all squats must be done with a narrow stance, less than shoulder width. This makes them much more difficult.

After the eight sets of eight you then do 8 reps with no weight (free squats) with :8 seconds rest between each set. It’s fast and furious. My workout looked something like this:

Warm Up:
Free Squat-20
135-10

Begin “Crazy Eights”

228-8
:88 rest
228-8
228-8
228-8
228-8
228-8
228-8
228-8

8 Reps
:8 rest

PUKE!

Actually, I never puked from this but I almost passed out the first time that I tried it. I crawled upstairs after I was finished (I train in my basement gym). Grabbed a glass bottle to pour myself a drink, dropped the bottle, which immediately broke. I then fell in a corner of the kitchen with ears ringing and pretty white lights sparkling before my eyes. At this point my wife walked past said, “another good workout huh?” And she kept walking. She thinks I’m a bit crazy…Hey thats another topic.

After the first time it actually gets much easier as you are prepared both mentally and physically.

If you are looking for something to shake up your leg routine, give Crazy Eights a try. Make sure you are strict with the :88 second rest time. you have to be under the bar and starting your first squat at the :88 point! No resting between any of the reps or its over!

The entire session should take just about twenty minutes or less to complete, if you are not cheating in some way. It will be twenty minutes that you will not soon forget!

Before you try this routine make sure you are cleared for this sort of training by your doctor! This is so much harder than you think.

Anyone else have any good torturous training routines, or ideas that they would like to share?

Anything over 5 reps on the squat is no fun.

“Also, all squats must be done with a narrow stance, less than shoulder width. This makes them much more difficult.”

Harder for whom? Certainly not me. I actually squat similar amounts with wide and narrow stances. I work hard to bring up imbalances like this.

Thunder,

Give this a try, just once!

It doesn’t take a genious to work somebody to death.

What would this be good for? Seems closer to GPP than anything.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m ready to drive 88.8mph so I can go back to the time before I read this and stop myself.

If I take my weight and multiply it by 121 I would have to squat 24200 lbs. How the fuck is that possible?

" You take your weight and multiply it by 121 then you squat that weight for 8 sets of 8 reps."

230 x 121 =27,830

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t even squat that once. Of course, I haven’t maxed in a while.

Just another example as to why only experts should create routines.

So someone comes up with a workout tip that they want to share with others and they get flamed. Why do “we” always look to put others down before we try it ourselves? And if you don’t want to try it, then don’t try it. Do you think people e-mail JB and CT and tell them that their routines look lame and stupid?

ZEB, thanks for sharing the info, and you know what I may try this out.

I invented a program called crazy 9’s and it’s exactly the same as yours, but with 9’s instead of 8’s and everyone should really try it cuz it’s much harder than Zeb’s crazy 8’s.
Just funnin’ ya Zeb.

Ben,

It is merely one example of a great way to break your training routine. It may not take a genius to create something like this, never said it did. However, it sure takes no genius to criticize every idea that you read!

If I posted that I got a great workout by rolling a bowling ball up a hill with nothing but my nose, what kind of response should that get?

A lot of us are not trying it because we do not see why it will do us any good. Why are you criticizing our freedom of expression? Sort of hypocritical there, huh?

Generally, no, because their programs are typically not lame and stupid, but I’m sure there are nut cases that still do this.

Ten,

You take your body weight and multiply it by 121%. In my case it would be 188lbs x 121% = 227.48 (228lbs).

But you go ahead and stick to everything the “experts” tell you. And in 10 to 15 years when all the new “experts” are contradicting all of the old “experts” I will still be creating new ways to make my workouts challenging and fun!

I follow many of the routines from others that I respect as well, but it’s nice to create things from what you have learned. Some of you need to take a walk outside your little box now and then!

Well thanks for providing this permutation.

Ben,

By the way, if you do not think that you can obtain any benefit from “Crazy Eights” I challenge you to try it!

Then again it is a lot easier to sit in front of your computer and attack something you know nothing about. Much harder follow the routine that I suggested.

I can go lift heavy weights for hours and break my training routine. This is a lot like the “bear” that Davies comes up with. It’s only good for upping your pain tolerance.

Since it is just basically a superset, why don’t you just call it that?

OH, and you said multiply your weight by 121, not 121%.

[quote]By the way, if you do not think that you can obtain any benefit from “Crazy Eights” I challenge you to try it!

Then again it is a lot easier to sit in front of your computer and attack something you know nothing about. Much harder follow the routine that I suggested. [/quote]

I challenge you to roll a bowling ball up at least a 100ft incline with your nose. Let me know how it goes!!!

And forget any point I’ve tried to make, because I’m being a Negative Nelly. My thoughts therefore don’t count. Nice defense. Really.

Ten,

To my knowledge a “superset” is one set after another, continuously, with no breaks. The first part of Crazy Eights has an :88 break between each set. The second part has an :8 break between each set.

Do you understand the difference now?

I left out the “%” sign while posting initially. I have since cleared that up. Thank you for your patience regarding that matter.

My fucking god. 8 seconds. It could take you 8 seconds to catch your breath, grab the weight and start. That is a fucking superset.