Crazy Dog

So I’m taking care of some friends dogs while they are away. She’s getting older, I’m not sure how old maybe seven years old?

I don’t know when this started but you can no longer approach her when she is lying down. If you reach out to pet her she instantly, no warning, snaps at your hand but until now she never made contact.

I was just kind of testing her to see if she was aggressive around food by petting her back as she ate and she reached back and got me on my hand. Now my hand hurts from the pressure of the bite but it only broke the skin in two little spots.

Is this a case of let sleeping dogs lie and you cant teach an old dog new tricks? Or can anything be done? I’m a little worried that its gonna get worse as she gets older.

btw she is a german shepherd akita mix.

dont look at it, dont talk to it, just DOMINATE IT.

I hope your friends don’t have kids.

She feels she is above you in the pack order. You are a shitty leader. She is letting you know not to fuck with her.

Seeing as it isn’t your dog, I wouldn’t fuck with her.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
dont look at it, dont talk to it, just DOMINATE IT.[/quote]

Are you serious?
I try. Little things, I try to lead during the walks. I make her sit and stay outside the back door afterward. I think maybe her masters are too permissive.

Also the kids are all grown and moved out.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
She feels she is above you in the pack order. You are a shitty leader. She is letting you know not to fuck with her.

Seeing as it isn’t your dog, I wouldn’t fuck with her. [/quote]

Funny… and true.

its cuz you’re a pussy

dogs respect power and influence which your pussy ass doesnt have

I want to win goddammit. I’m thinking about eating a meal and then when she comes sniffing around biting her paw.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Funny… and true.[/quote]

Those are two classic area’s where a dominant dog will display its desire for you to fuckoff if it feels you are below it.

At least that is what all 6,000 books and articles say… So take it for what it’s worth.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

I want to win goddammit. I’m thinking about eating a meal and then when she comes sniffing around biting her paw.[/quote]

LOL, dogs don’t reason dude. She won’t have a fucking clue what you are trying to do.

Just leave it be while it eats and sleeps. If she sits for you after walks and shit your cool. It isn’t your dog so no use in going through all teh work to establish dominance. It would take months to teach it anyway.

Point of reference. When we picked up our pup Dec 20th, he growled and showed teeth as he ate. He would lay around and guard an empty bowl. He was a scary motherfucker. A 90lbs beast looking like he will eat you if you fuck with his empty dish, let alone when you put food in it.

Today I could reach in and pick his food out of the bowl while he eats and he’ll just watch me. He shits when I say shit, he lays when I say lay, he eats when I say eat, and he walks when I say walk.

It has taken us 3 months, and we have only just began. He has some bad habits to still unlearn. Shit takes time man.

This is kind of fucked up. I used to really love this dog now I feel like my brain is rewiring its attitude like it just found out a girlfriend was cheating on you.

I was probably in shock like five minutes ago, now I’ve got a hurt ‘oh fuck you’ attitude going.

You guys are right I am a pussy. I’ll probably get suckered into forgiving her.

Point of reference. When we picked up our pup Dec 20th, he growled and showed teeth as he ate. He would lay around and guard an empty bowl. He was a scary motherfucker. A 90lbs beast looking like he will eat you if you fuck with his empty dish, let alone when you put food in it.

Today I could reach in and pick his food out of the bowl while he eats and he’ll just watch me. He shits when I say shit, he lays when I say lay, he eats when I say eat, and he walks when I say walk.

It has taken us 3 months, and we have only just began. He has some bad habits to still unlearn. Shit takes time man.[/quote]

Alright. I thought there might be a relatively quick fix I could at least get started on and show to the owners. I am reasonably good with dogs. I’ve trained them not to jump on me, to wait for food, to sit etc. But this…Fuck it. Not my problem.

I was just making her sit and was very aware of keeping my hands out reach and then realized that the next closest object to her teeth would have been my dick.

If I even have that fear I’m not gonna be able to do shit.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
This is kind of fucked up. I used to really love this dog now I feel like my brain is rewiring its attitude like it just found out a girlfriend was cheating on you.

I was probably in shock like five minutes ago, now I’ve got a hurt ‘oh fuck you’ attitude going.

You guys are right I am a pussy. I’ll probably get suckered into forgiving her.[/quote]

LOL

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Funny… and true.[/quote]

Yup. Dogs respond to self-assuredness and ultimately, dominance.

Theres no way around it and you cannot fake it. Ive seen BAD shit go down between very big dogs and testicularly-weak men.

LOL

[quote]Cowboy_69 wrote:

[/quote]

Teach that bitch who’s boss.

LOL. Good times!

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
dont look at it, dont talk to it, just DOMINATE IT.[/quote]

you cant talk to it or just pet it… you have to hump it into submission!