Craziest Gym Stories

Just a thread to post your craziest gym stories

I was front squatting with straps. Clearly I had not set it up properly . The one strap slipped and the bar up ended and hit a low ceiling and broke it.
They didn’t make pay fortunately. It was a gym for short people. There was literally no-one over 5 foot 9inches , as you couldn’t lift above your head.

I saw a guy at my new gym push a loaded trap bar into a mirror. It didn’t break though.

The only thing remotely close to being a crazy story was when I saw a guy load up 405 to do quarter squats. He unloaded all the plates from one side and the bar would’ve flipped had a guy next to him not noticed and reacted quick enough. There were people next to him but he was in a squat rack so the bar probably would’ve got caught on the upright and unloaded all the plates on the other side.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
The only thing remotely close to being a crazy story was when I saw a guy load up 405 to do quarter squats. He unloaded all the plates from one side and the bar would’ve flipped had a guy next to him not noticed and reacted quick enough. There were people next to him but he was in a squat rack so the bar probably would’ve got caught on the upright and unloaded all the plates on the other side.[/quote]

Holy shit! I’ve seen that happen before. Who could be that dumb

[quote]lift206 wrote:
The only thing remotely close to being a crazy story was when I saw a guy load up 405 to do quarter squats. He unloaded all the plates from one side and the bar would’ve flipped had a guy next to him not noticed and reacted quick enough. There were people next to him but he was in a squat rack so the bar probably would’ve got caught on the upright and unloaded all the plates on the other side.[/quote]
Yep, I saw this happen to a guy just a couple weeks ago. He looked all confused and I basically said “180 pounds on that side, none on this side, what did you think would happen??”

I’ve also chipped some walls with a trap bar doing Fat Gripz “frame carries.” Hit it hard and still somehow didn’t lose my grip!

There was this one guy who would come into the gym, go to a squat rack, and then start flipping around the barbell for like 20 minutes. He would balance himself on the bar (stomach on top of barbell) and then flip around it. Over. And over. And over.

Another time a pair of guys took off their shirts (in a university gym where that’s not allowed, but no one stopped them for some reason) and oiled themselves up and started benching on the beautiful Forza.

When I was in high school, three baseball players all got stress fractures in their spines (all ~250 pounds on the bar) in the same year because the coaches were idiots that had no idea what they were doing. (The coach I had the most interaction with told everyone to listen to what he said because back when he was in college he could bench 225)

Some jackass used a Texas DL bar for clean and jerks and broke it. Not too crazy, just infuriating.

I think that’s all I’ve got.

I watched this guy walk up to one of the only two squat racks in the entire gym… and proceeded to curl.

But really, something dumb i saw was thus dude doing loaded chair dips. His buddies just kept putting plates in his lap (150 soaking wet) until he just spilled over with plates rolling everywhere

[quote]TX iron wrote:
I watched this guy walk up to one of the only two squat racks in the entire gym… and proceeded to curl.

But really, something dumb i saw was thus dude doing loaded chair dips. His buddies just kept putting plates in his lap (150 soaking wet) until he just spilled over with plates rolling everywhere[/quote]

I see skinny beta’s doing that at my gym too, like why not just do weighted dips?

[quote]Danimals wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

But really, something dumb i saw was thus dude doing loaded chair dips. His buddies just kept putting plates in his lap (150 soaking wet) until he just spilled over with plates rolling everywhere[/quote]

I see skinny beta’s doing that at my gym too, like why not just do weighted dips?[/quote]

Yeah I’m not sure what he was trying to accomplish there other than possibly breaking his pelvis. I had to let it play out though, haha.

When I was in high school there was a rumor going around my gym that some bodybuilder was benching 600 and his balls exploded from all the steroids.

My best story: girl is deadlifting on the platform, I walk up to her and ask her how many sets she has left. Wasn’t flirting or anything, pulled one earbud out, asked the question, her response with a disgusted face: “I have a boyfriend, he’s here.” Ok, that’s fine, I’m thinking, some people, you know? I say “Ok cool, but I need the platform, are you almost finished?” With a very annoyed sounding “ugh” she turns away from me and starts deadlifting again.

Ok fine, I wasn’t gonna bother arguing so I went to do my usual warm up which takes about 30 min. Now I come back, half an hour later, and she and her boyfriend are WAITING for me at the platform. They’re not using it, they’re waiting for me and she says: “there he is”. “Fuck my life” I’m thinking. The dude walks up to me and says: “my girlfriend told me what happened, you got a problem dude?”

Now this guy isn’t huge or very intimidating, but he was damn serious about whatever the hell his girlfriend told him so I casually said that I just asked when she would finish with the platform and she told me she has a boyfriend and that I really don’t care. He then says: “you’re gonna fucking apologize to her” and I say (and now I’m getting irritated) “excuse me? for what exactly?”

This guy doesn’t give a fuck he now shouts “apologize” and pushes me causing me to stumble on the platform. Now I’m not about to beat a kid in the gym so I shove him back, not hard, but just hard enough to cause him to fly back into one of the biggest and hardest looking guys in the gym.

His name is Stephan. And now Stephan is very angry that some random kid just bumped into him and caused him to knock his shake over. And now him and his girlfriend are trying to make excuses and blame me for everything, but little did they know I gave Stephan a spot a while ago and he’s one of my boys. So he shuts them both up and tells them to promptly remover their rears from his sight. He must’ve cussed them out for like a good 2 min.

Moral of the story: keep your cool and make friends with the big, mean guys.

I used to train in a gym that was originally just a swimming pool downstairs, the upstairs gym consisted of four small rooms. If there are 15 people in there it’s crowded.

So anyway, one day me and another guy were in the weight room when this one guy came in through the door and walked towards the water fountain. The other guy (Jay) said “I hope he doesn’t come in here, that guy stinks”. I said I had seen him a couple times but never noticed anything.

Sure enough he came straight into the weight room and immediately started stretching his arms on the chin up bar. I could barely breathe. Jay started opening the windows, I asked him if he was going to say something but he replied that he didn’t want to get into a fight. So I took it upon myself to do something.

I said “Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but I think you need to take a shower”. There’s not really a nice way to say it is there? He got all mad right away, “what are you saying? I stink? I come here to sweat, not to smell good…” I told him I wasn’t trying to be an asshole an it was better he heard it from me, would he rather try to talk to a girl and have her tell him he stinks? Jay was cowering in the corner trying not to laugh.

He was pretty upset and still making noise for a while but he left after a few minutes. The next day he was back smelling like fresh laundry and deodorant. He saw me and said “hey man, what’s up!” as though yesterday never happened.

The moral of the story: if someone smells horrible, tell them. Just be ready for conflict.

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:
I used to train in a gym that was originally just a swimming pool downstairs, the upstairs gym consisted of four small rooms. If there are 15 people in there it’s crowded.

So anyway, one day me and another guy were in the weight room when this one guy came in through the door and walked towards the water fountain. The other guy (Jay) said “I hope he doesn’t come in here, that guy stinks”. I said I had seen him a couple times but never noticed anything.

Sure enough he came straight into the weight room and immediately started stretching his arms on the chin up bar. I could barely breathe. Jay started opening the windows, I asked him if he was going to say something but he replied that he didn’t want to get into a fight. So I took it upon myself to do something.

I said “Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but I think you need to take a shower”. There’s not really a nice way to say it is there? He got all mad right away, “what are you saying? I stink? I come here to sweat, not to smell good…” I told him I wasn’t trying to be an asshole an it was better he heard it from me, would he rather try to talk to a girl and have her tell him he stinks? Jay was cowering in the corner trying not to laugh.

He was pretty upset and still making noise for a while but he left after a few minutes. The next day he was back smelling like fresh laundry and deodorant. He saw me and said “hey man, what’s up!” as though yesterday never happened.

The moral of the story: if someone smells horrible, tell them. Just be ready for conflict.[/quote]

Honestly, its always good to tell the person but make it very clear that you aren’t judging them or being rude, because 9/10 people don’t notice their own stink. This applies to breath too. I’d rather someone tell me than have people avoid me all the time and know me as “that guy who stinks”.

Blondielox Useless Fucking Vag Trainer:

Takes Daddy Obesity, Mommy Obesity and Baby Obesity who have not seen the lite of a decent body since 6th grade,
and the first thing she does with them is the dreaded Bosu Bicep Curl. After that she moo-ves them onto
concentration curls. Overheard her say that they need to work on their functional training and work each muscle
independently to get the greatest “gainz” for the time that they will invest… facepalm ensues !

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:

The moral of the story: if someone smells horrible, tell them. Just be ready for conflict.[/quote]

Lol, it would’ve been funny if he came in smelling worse. It’s a good thing you didn’t have to continue to endure that smell. It’s understandable that people have that initial reaction. Haldor did make a good point too.

Dude is in a power cage pins set about waist height. Loads 405 on the bar and gets a friend of his to back spot him… neither of them had any need to be doing anything with 405 on any movement. Either way dude unracks the bar steps back gets set, squats down, gets stuck and spotter isnt there to help. Instead of just letting the bar hit the pins he takes his right hand off the bar and puts on the pins to try and push him self up with his arms. Bar gets off balance falls off his back to the side a bit and lands right on his hand and breaks 2 fingers

I don’t have many gym stories because most of my lifting is solo, but here is one of the more memorable ones:

I am just lifting in my school’s weightroom when I see one of my buddies while I am resting in between sets, so I talk to him. Apparently he is lifting with his GF’s little sister (or something like that), and she is squatting the bar with the pussy pad on. He puts a plate on each side, and I offer to add clips to each side in case she misses the weight (I knew there was no way she could lift it), and suggest that it may be too heavy.

My buddy kind of just shrugs it off, and I don’t press the matter because I don’t really know the chick and I wouldn’t be the one his GF would be pissed at if her sister got hurt. The girl is a bit hesitant, but he talks her into doing it, and she shakingly walks the bar out like she is about to collapse and squats with my friend spotting her from behind and myself from the side.

The bar just kind of free falls with her under it, and she bounces out of the hole to literally stall the moment after the bounce wears out. She seems to be dumping it forward, and the guy grabs the bar, and so do I to try to stop the bar from injuring her neck, the plate on the other side slides off and I hold the my side in place and the guy helps lift her up.

They are good people and all, but not exactly educated with the whole lifting thing. I am just glad nobody got hurt, and I guess I learned a life lesson: I should call people out more readily if I see something dangerous going on.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Dude is in a power cage pins set about waist height. Loads 405 on the bar and gets a friend of his to back spot him… neither of them had any need to be doing anything with 405 on any movement. Either way dude unracks the bar steps back gets set, squats down, gets stuck and spotter isnt there to help. Instead of just letting the bar hit the pins he takes his right hand off the bar and puts on the pins to try and push him self up with his arms. Bar gets off balance falls off his back to the side a bit and lands right on his hand and breaks 2 fingers [/quote]

Hahaha what a dummy

Buff 40yr guy doing thumbless bench press with 185. All of a sudden the bar slips out of both his hand and the top of the rep and directly onto his ribs. Me and another guy pull it off of him, seems hurt and embarrassed.

Proceeded to walk around the gym shirtless rubbing his ribs and avoiding the staff’s advice to seek medical attention.

A few weeks a go, a guy walks in at the gym. Tells the trainer he’s been to a crossfitbox yesterday and is all pumped up about it!
The guy goes to the squat rack loads like 60kg/135lbs and proceeds to overhead squat it. When he drops to like a quarter overheadsquat the bar comes forward and he loses control… He holds on to the bar and cuts of his thumb on the squatrack (the pillar, was using the squatrack the wrong way to face the mirror!).At first he didn’t even notice his thumb was cut off, he just had pain and was in shock of the blood gushing out.

It was a standard squatrack, and he hit the pillar that is normaly behind you.

A few days later another guy made almost the same mistake! But got a away with a brused thumb!

Well, be safe friends!

[quote]Reed wrote:
Dude is in a power cage pins set about waist height. Loads 405 on the bar and gets a friend of his to back spot him… neither of them had any need to be doing anything with 405 on any movement. Either way dude unracks the bar steps back gets set, squats down, gets stuck and spotter isnt there to help. Instead of just letting the bar hit the pins he takes his right hand off the bar and puts on the pins to try and push him self up with his arms. Bar gets off balance falls off his back to the side a bit and lands right on his hand and breaks 2 fingers [/quote]

I totally self spot myself on SSB if i’m box squatting, just sit on the box, hands on knees and stand up.

That said I did it with a regular bar in wraps one day… put my hands on the pins and stood up. I realized later how stupid that was, glad I didn’t break any fingers, lol.