Cravings/Munchies

Hey guys, I’m working on dieting down from 187 to 169. I’m consuming about 1800 calories a day, which is a huge cut for me. Even when not working out, I consume around 3100 calories a day. I’m 6’3 and have maintained my weight for about three years, while working out more as an occasional hobby that a serious effort.

Anyway, I’m doing my best to space out my meals so that I don’t get too hungry, but I’m really big on munchies. I don’t eat so much because I’m hungry usually, I eat most of the time because I want to put something in my mouth (bring on the gay jokes). Example being honey roasted peanuts. My roommate has a 6 lb can of honey roasted peanuts that pre-diet, I would eat constantly.

ANyway, the real trouble in sticking to a diet for me has been that I just enjoy eating snack-ish food, regardless of whether or not I’m hungry. I can handle the hunger, I did a 10 day water fast a year ago in college, so it’s not the hunger pangs I have trouble with. So I guess my question is, is there something I can get that is relatively inexpensive, has little to no calories, no negative health effects, that I can munch on throughout the day so I don’t end up breaking my diet?

Cabbage.

your 6’3 and want to cut down to 169?? I think 169 is still a bit heavy for your height, try 149, your abs will look killer!

Wait, this is a joke!! You almost fooled me!!

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
your 6’3 and want to cut down to 169?? I think 169 is still a bit heavy for your height, try 149, your abs will look killer!

Wait, this is a joke!! You almost fooled me!![/quote]

No, but seriously. 169 at 6’3? I’m 5’9 and hover around the 169 mark and it drives me crazy not being bigger. I guess it depends on your goals, but damn.

As far as miracle snack food goes…I think you’re just effed.

Nah, I’m pretty serious about getting down to 169. The fact of the matter is I don’t have a lot of muscle as of right now, I’ve never been an athlete and never seriously pursued any sort of gaining program. I weigh 187 and I look gross, I have so much fat around my waist, I’m about 39 1/2" around my waist at the navel. I don’t know if 169 is the weight I’ll be getting down to, I really have no idea what body fat % I’m at right now, so I’m just gonna diet until I don’t jiggle anymore. Then I’ll work on building muscle.

[quote]Kassad wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:

Wait, this is a joke!! You almost fooled me!!

No, but seriously. 169 at 6’3? I’m 5’9 and hover around the 169 mark and it drives me crazy not being bigger. I guess it depends on your goals, but damn.

As far as miracle snack food goes…I think you’re just effed.[/quote]

I feel the same, I’m 5’9 and 175 and still feel really small.

Paging Professor X…

“I’m just gonna diet until I don’t jiggle anymore. Then I’ll work on building muscle.”

Building muscle is the only realistic way to stop the ‘jiggle’. Work on training then diet.

What about gum? If you chew it long enough you might burn calories

his goals are his goals. I dont agree with them, but I’m not gonna tell him what his physique should look like.

As for snack foods, suck it up. Dieting aint easy. Green veggies are filling and low in cals, but taste like ass. If they made good snack foods, people wouldn’t be fat off potato chips to begin with.

I use Broccoli, lettuce, pickles and celery.

S

Celery is good, buy get the containers of pre-cut stuff so you have no excuse to not eat it. Snow peas are awesome, just rinse them off, let them dry, and store them in the fridge to eat whenever.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I use Broccoli, lettuce, pickles and celery.

S
[/quote]

I love broccoli, problem is it’s expensive.

I use cucumbers and carrots.

Tarrius you have a girlfriend? You can always snack on some pj.

[quote]spadesofaces wrote:
his goals are his goals. I dont agree with them, but I’m not gonna tell him what his physique should look like.

As for snack foods, suck it up. Dieting aint easy. Green veggies are filling and low in cals, but taste like ass. If they made good snack foods, people wouldn’t be fat off potato chips to begin with.[/quote]

i mean, maybe you could help out and offer a different alternative…

6’3 and 169 wtf?

i’m 230 @ 5’10 and am just starting to feel ‘big’

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

6’3 and 169 wtf?

i’m 230 @ 5’10 and am just starting to feel ‘big’[/quote]

Different goal perhaps?

Though the desired goal does sound almost trollish by the OP

Sweet fucking jesus guys, I’m not trying to be a troll here, I’m serious.

The problem I guess arises with the fact that I’m just starting to get serious about my training, but I’ve NEVER had anyone give me ANY direction when it comes to how to train, what numbers I should shoot for, etc. I’ve worked with several personal trainers in the past, all of them morons. The only consistent thing I got from them was that I was at about 18~19% body fat. I want to get down to 10. Is it so fucking hard to get a serious answer that’s not mocking me? Jesus fucking christ.

Settle down! :wink:

Most people don’t understand why someone 6’3" would want to weigh even less. I am 6’6" and weigh 270 and am quite pleased with my size.

Your goals are your goals. But I would suggest getting serious about lifting and changing your nutritional intake. If you start lifting heavy things and eating healthy you will start to build muscle and that will help to burn that jiggly fat. I know this from personal experience since I did this when I was much younger.

If you could replace your body fat with a decent muscle base you would be much happier with how you look regardless of what the scale said.

To answer your initial question I would suggest much of what has already been suggested. Cucumbers, pickles, broccoli, cabbage, snow peas, and sugar snap peas. These will provide a crunch, fiber/satiety, and be good for you. However, as one poster mentioned, it may not be the best taste wise. Also, I am convinced that it is best to have a lean source of protein with every meal. So I would prefer to have a piece of grilled meat and a green vegetable.

Try not to take things so personal. When you come to what is primarily a muscle building community and talk about wanting to lose weight when you are already a low weight, it is easy to immediately think of the post as a troll. I understand about working with trainers that have not provided sound advice. If you are serious check out the information available here on this site, read, be open, learn, lift/carry heavy things, eat healthy, and watch progress begin to happen.

Christopher

Just sounds like he’s ‘skinnyfat’ and doesn’t know what to do about it. From what i remember in articles, the best way to fix it is to increase endogenous test levels, decrease cortisol, increase insulin sensitivity and increase muscle mass.