Cravings Between Meals

I have been lifting for a while and don’t have a problem there, but it is my diet that is causing me to not see the results i want. Does anyone have any ideas how to beat the craving i have throughout the day. I usually eat some granola breakfast cereal, a shake for a morning snack or some fruit, tuna or chicken sandwhich for lunch, another snack of some sort and then whatever i whip up for dinner. It seems like a lot but i still get cravings in between when i eat.

Any suggestions?

Raw vegetables are your best bet. Get a huge variety, chop them up into convenient sizes and bag them up as snack packs. A little jar of hummus or some low-cal dip won’t hurt.

If you can bear one more day with cravings here’s my advice. Go out to the fields this evening and kill a deer and make some jerky and there ya go.

Just kidding obviously, it would take at least two weeks for your jerky to be ready. I like a green apple with a Metabolic Drive Cookie dough Bar for in between meal snacks. Good source of protein and good fiber and carbs.

D

more meals , tons of veggies etc. water drink many times ppl think there hungry theyre dehydrated

Phill

sounds good thanks

[quote]Phill wrote:
more meals , tons of veggies etc. water drink many times ppl think there hungry theyre dehydrated

Phill[/quote]

I would also suggest reading up on some of the nutrition articles here (try the “Are you a Beginner II” thread) since it looks like you are lacking in trying to eat protein with every meal. That right there will help you feel full longer.

Also, what are your goals? It seems you are going really low calorie which will make anyone feel hungry between meals.

I am currently 200 lbs. and i want to get down to 175 lbs. or so for my rock climbing. I would also like to shape up my body and not bulk up i am looking to get to a more sculpted, toned look.

i just read another article and it sounds like the guy is having the same problem as me so i will take the advice from there and try it out for myself. Thanks all and any other advice is greatly appreciated.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I would also suggest reading up on some of the nutrition articles here (try the “Are you a Beginner II” thread) since it looks like you are lacking in trying to eat protein with every meal. That right there will help you feel full longer.
[/quote]

this is bullshit.
protein clears the intestine much faster than fats. if you eat a fatty meal, you will feel satisfied for much longer than a protein meal. its the way the body works in providing stimulus for peristalsis of chyme through the stomach and into the duodenum and rest of the small intestine.

so, perhaps: try adding more healthy fats to your meals. Fats will not necessarily make you fat!!!

[quote]Contach wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

this is bullshit.
protein clears the intestine much faster than fats. if you eat a fatty meal, you will feel satisfied for much longer than a protein meal. its the way the body works in providing stimulus for peristalsis of chyme through the stomach and into the duodenum and rest of the small intestine.

so, perhaps: try adding more healthy fats to your meals. Fats will not necessarily make you fat!!!
[/quote]

Fats are great and all but also metabolically inexpensive dont take energy to digest low (tef)

Protein very high TEF, eat a steak and tell me its quickly digested, add on to that a salad and apple, yes a mixed meal and well thats going to keep ya not so hungry lol

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:

Fats are great and all but also metabolically inexpensive dont take energy to digest low (tef)

Protein very high TEF, eat a steak and tell me its quickly digested, add on to that a salad and apple, yes a mixed meal and well thats going to keep ya not so hungry lol

Phill

[/quote]

Steak, an interesting example of a non-fatty used to illustrate your point… hrm… nope… quite fatty indeed. Eat a chicken breast (THIS IS REAL LEAN MEAT) and time how long it takes you to get hungry.

i couldn’t find the nutritional info for raw steak, this is an example of a recipe using steak. no fats were used in the preparation.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size (143g )
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 75mg 25%
Sodium 150g 6%
Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 1g
Protein 22g

I’d say ditch the granola cereal. Try making an omelet with a ton of veggies in it and maybe some fruit…that’d keep you more satisfied throughout the day.

eat 6 meals a day,

[quote]this is bullshit.

[/quote]

Haha it made me laugh that he started with thats bullshit then used words like peristalis and duodenum. Thats awesome.

[quote]osirismdw wrote:
this is bullshit.

Haha it made me laugh that he started with thats bullshit then used words like peristalis and duodenum. Thats awesome.
[/quote]

shock and awe my friend.

1. Six meals a day ~
  2. salad with some dribbling of non/fat dressing? throw in lots of different vegetables, cottage cheese o.O olives? jalapenos!
  3. steamed vegetables and a boiled egg small serving? maybe o.O
  4. trail mix
  5. I love steak

[quote]Contach wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Steak, an interesting example of a non-fatty used to illustrate your point… hrm… nope… quite fatty indeed. Eat a chicken breast (THIS IS REAL LEAN MEAT) and time how long it takes you to get hungry.
[/quote]

I find it interesting that you think the fat in a steak is a ‘healthy’ fat.

Now, rather than get into a pissing contest about protein types, I think the three of us agree that the OP’s diet needs some work.

From what Phil has posted in the past, I’m sure he agrees with you that healthy fats should be included in the diet. It also seems that you would agree with Phil and me that more protein would do this guy some good.

Yes?

I am going to stick with the cereal, but i will add in a some fruit with it. Also i have my snacks figured out for the day. I have been keeping satisfied longer now. I have also upped my protien intake with chicken and boiled eggs.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Contach wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I find it interesting that you think the fat in a steak is a ‘healthy’ fat.

Now, rather than get into a pissing contest about protein types, I think the three of us agree that the OP’s diet needs some work.

From what Phil has posted in the past, I’m sure he agrees with you that healthy fats should be included in the diet. It also seems that you would agree with Phil and me that more protein would do this guy some good.

Yes?[/quote]

Firstly, I did not say anywhere that I thought that steak is a “healthy fat”. However, I do agree that fats, whether EFA’s or non-EFA’s are necessary.

But the problem at hand was the OP getting hungry between meals. Adding more protein to the diet is not going to help this because of the gastrointestinal-feedback that I previously described. Adding fats will.

And given that we all agree that too much ‘bad fat’ is not good for anyone, adding a steak (as suggested by an individual) is going to do a significant amount of harm. The individual who suggested eating the steak saw it as a large protein source, and tried to convince us that the scientifically-proven information I gave was wrong.

He is right in that a steak will leave you satisfied for a long time, but this is not because of its amount of protein but instead the amount of fat it contains. This supports the theory.

I reiterate. OP: try adding some fats (preferably Omega-3’s) to your diet.

Peace.

In between meals, you can always have a serving of a fiber supplement along with some BCAA’s.