Crash Course Energy System Training

Howdy T-people,
I just found out today that there is an open weight submission grappling tourney coming up on my base. If my rickety, war-torn, old joints are up to it, I’m kinda jonesing to play so as to bring some more respect and attention to my unit.

After scouting the competition, I only spot two or three folks’d give me a real challenge (big fellas too). I’ve got fairly competitive levels of strength, and my technical abilities are pretty well dominant from what I can see (I hope).

However, I’ve taken a layoff from hardcore conditioning for roughly 8 weeks and while my endurance and recovery abilities are still pretty decent, if I’m to do my best to ensure a trophy for my guys and gals, I need to “get my wind up” pretty quick. Any suggestions?
-B

How long does a fight last?
If my guess is right and the fight will be over in a few minutes (5 or less) I suggest
Tabata front squats. Obviously not exclusively though.

[quote]gadget wrote:
How long does a fight last?
If my guess is right and the fight will be over in a few minutes (5 or less) I suggest
Tabata front squats. Obviously not exclusively though.[/quote]

Tabata front squats will not build the kind of conditioning needed for a fight.
Youll need to determine the dominant energy system and train it accordingly. Work a standard linear periodization of higher volume into high intensity - increase matt/ring time coming into the fight and get more technical, rest then come in fresh to fight.

Interval training with bodyweight exercises during the rest periods.

[quote]uberswank wrote:
Interval training with bodyweight exercises during the rest periods. [/quote]

I like it! We get bored with bodyweight since that happens every morning (yay Army PT), but I like this idea… could do that for two weeks and use the third as “cool down” like SuperMick suggessted.

Whatchoo guys t’ink?
-B