Crash After Lunch

Guys, I’ve searched but didn’t find the info/answers I’m hoping for.

It seems that everyday, no matter what I eat for lunch, I always crash hard about 20 minutes later…to the point where I can’t keep my eyes open. Today for example I had a grilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat with swiss cheese, and like clock-work I was down for the count.

I work a desk job, and do my best not to eat food high with high GIs as well as stay away from simple sugars, but it doesn’t seem to work. So far I haven’t gotten caught napping at my desk, but I’d prefer not to continue like this.

Any info/advice you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried splitting your lunch and eating half an hour later?

[quote]SABmore wrote:
Guys, I’ve searched but didn’t find the info/answers I’m hoping for.

It seems that everyday, no matter what I eat for lunch, I always crash hard about 20 minutes later…to the point where I can’t keep my eyes open. Today for example I had a grilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat with swiss cheese, and like clock-work I was down for the count.

I work a desk job, and do my best not to eat food high with high GIs as well as stay away from simple sugars, but it doesn’t seem to work. So far I haven’t gotten caught napping at my desk, but I’d prefer not to continue like this.

Any info/advice you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.[/quote] Not that you have sleep apnea but I used to do the same thing after lunch, did an overnight sleep study and found out I stopped breathing in my sleep, once that was resolved I didn’t get tired after lunch.

This may sound a little simplistic, but try taking a short walk outside. For me, it works very well in warding off post-lunch crashes (I think nearly everyone experiences them some time to a certain degree).

There is also a condition called Post Prandial Hypoglycemia.

Basically your pancrease dumps a shitload insuline after you eat and you crash shortly after it. Most dont feel hypoglycemic with it they feel like they need a nap.

The only way to test this is for your doctor to run tests.

I used to have this problem. I went to a low carb diet, and it went away. You might try cutting out the carbs at lunch, and see if it helps.

ust eat P and F, no carbs.

that should sort you, otherwise hav a coffee

If I’m already tired, lunch is a sleep attack waiting to happen.

Things that work for me:

• Get more sleep.
  • Eat zero carbs at lunch.
  • Eat only a small meal.
  • Get some exercise.

I’d say the first option is the best, but if you know you are tired already, the other options can help avoid the crash.

I used to have the same problem. I would always fall asleep for 10-15 minutes in my classes after lunch, no matter what. Now, I have found that eating a little bit every half hour or so will ward this off. Also, make sure that you aren’t too warm. Being just a little bit cold will do wonders for your mental acuity.

Similar to what has been already said, but here’s my advice…

I’m assuming you have enough room to do a couple pushups; bang out a set or two of twenty pushups when you feel tired. I find that a couple of pushups can get me going when I need a little kick.

-FC

Good advice by Chewman!

It’s worth getting a handle on, SABmore. Reactive hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia (pre-diabetes), and type II diabetes are thought by some to be different stages of the same condition: insulin resistance. There’s a lot you could do proactively before it would ever get to the point of your being diagnosed with diabetes.

Between now and getting to the doctor, you’d be safe trying the following:

• Eat small meals/snacks about every 3 hours

• Exercise regularly.

• Cut out bread, rice, potatoes, sugar, sweet or anything of a higher GI nature for lunch. See how your body responds to an entirely P+F meal.

• Choose high(er)-fiber foods. Get your carbs from green veggies, beans, legumes and fruit.

• Avoid or limit foods high in sugar, especially on an empty stomach.

Good luck to you!

[quote]SABmore wrote:

Today for example I had a grilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat with swiss cheese, and like clock-work I was down for the count.
…[/quote]

Others said it, but you may miss it: do not eat whole wheat bread for lunch. Although we’ve been told that wheat bread is “healthier”, it may elicit just as large an insulin response as your average white bread. Try NO carbs at lunch first. Then if that works, gradually introduce lower GI carbs such as low carb (high fiber) tortillas, beans, or oats.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate all of your input. I’ll start making changes in how I go about things, and see how that goes for a little while. Then I’ll seek medical assistance if necessary.

Hey bro you might look into taking
r-ala 10-15 min before you eat your carb lunch. This usually seems to do the trick for me.

There’s a whole book abou this topic, the name of which escapes me.

Here’s a synopsis of the book so you don’t have to read it:

During lunch, don’t even have one bite of carbohydrate before you have some protein.

It works like a charm.

Obviously, as alluded to in a previous post, it has to do with insulin. I once wrote a giant article about the topic as the cover story for an issue of MM2K.

Great topic, because its very common. I too get this even after a protein and low-GI carb meal, like sirloin and mixed veggies - no process grains at all. Maybe the carrots did me in with those lunches…? Agreeing with Vroom, a great night of sleep AND eating zero processed foods for lunch I’m usually okay. But, even protein can elicit insulin secretions, so cutting out the grains will help, but I think its several things combined. I would suggest a higher fat, lower carb lunch and more sleep at night.

TS