T Nation

Crappy Lower Abs

So getting down to the lower body fats has brought certain things to my attention that I’d like to correct when I begin to bulk.

The main kink in my armor seems to be my lower abs. My top 4 abs are thick and muscular looking, however, my lower 2 are small, underdeveloped, and more on the flat side.

I’ll admit that I’m one of those guys that never bothered training abs directly when I was fatter because I just never saw the point since I never expected myself to see them. However, once I began to lose body fat, what was once a fantasy started to become a reality, so I started doing more direct ab work. This was a few months ago though, while on a cutting diet, so I don’t think it was very effective as far as abdominal hypertrophy is concerned.

Now, I’ve seen guys with lower abs that look just as developed as their upper 4, and I also assume that abs can be developed just like any other muscle group. So my question is the following -

If I gave my lower abs more attention during my bulk phase, would it help make them thicker and more pronounced? If so, what’s a good program that any of you would recommend for me?

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated!

Your “abs” are one muscle, and your divisions are genetic. Some people have four, some have six, some have eight. not much you can do to change that.

Generally the stomach fat is the last to go on guys. Dieting and cardio will help to lessen the fat in that area

Ab exercises while great for building muscle wont do much if there is fat on top of it.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
Your “abs” are one muscle, and your divisions are genetic. Some people have four, some have six, some have eight. not much you can do to change that.[/quote]

Well, I’m not complaining about the divisions or the way they look. I’m talking about the “lower abdominal muscles” themselves. Am I able to add muscle to them? If not directly, since you say it’s all one muscle, I AM able to add muscle to my abdominals as a whole…right?

[quote]mattnxtc wrote:
Generally the stomach fat is the last to go on guys. Dieting and cardio will help to lessen the fat in that area

Ab exercises while great for building muscle wont do much if there is fat on top of it. [/quote]

It’s really not fat. I’m already at 7% body fat. Even if I can’t see them 100% fully defined, I can see their outline, and I can still feel them, and they feel small and underdeveloped, especially the lowest ab muscle.

Ok. So you say doing direct ab work while on a bulking diet should result in some added muscle mass in that area? If so, do I really need to do all these fancy ab exercises out there, or will good old crunches and hanging leg raises do the trick?

Try it and find out.

To be honest, I got insane ab development from just my oly lifting training.

Try Overhead squats and decline situps with weight.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
To be honest, I got insane ab development from just my oly lifting training.

Try Overhead squats and decline situps with weight.[/quote]

Thanks I’ll look into those.

Try adding some reverse crunches while you’re at it. Good luck.

[quote]Velz wrote:
Shoebolt wrote:
To be honest, I got insane ab development from just my oly lifting training.

Try Overhead squats and decline situps with weight.

Thanks I’ll look into those.[/quote]

Hell yes BIG ass compounds ON YOUR FEET get that bar bell DB on your back above your head One arm at a time both, squat DL etc, Then hit the ab work HEAVY not just tons of reps but add a load

phill

[quote]anthropocentric wrote:
Try adding some reverse crunches while you’re at it. Good luck.[/quote]

I sure will. Just have to look up how to do them now lol. I’ll be doing some ab work today so I’ll experiment.

[quote]Velz wrote:
anthropocentric wrote:
Try adding some reverse crunches while you’re at it. Good luck.

I sure will. Just have to look up how to do them now lol. I’ll be doing some ab work today so I’ll experiment.[/quote]

As other said, are you using deadlifts and squats? Those are big compound movements that will hit your abs hard.

I would write it all out, but I think you would benefit overall from reading the gymjones.com website and watching the videos. They’re not big guys, but they’re serious and they’re ripped. I really admire what they do and I hope you get something out of it, as well as some solid “ab” workouts. I only say that because I’m a full-body fanboi and don’t believe in working one section at a time.

Good luck!