Couple Too Heavy: Plane Couldn't Take Off

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
EG wrote:
Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem.

Mathemtatically, same problem yes.

However, I think we could safely assume that X and Bauer are proud of the type of weight they carry.

The point is, it makes the entire story sound like bullshit. I have never been told to change my seat in a plane because I was too heavy. The article claims it was a large plane. What type of commercial plane can’t handle a couple of people sitting in one area in that way? Has anyone here been weighed before they got on a plane? For this claim to make sense, they would have to regularly weigh the people on planes and seat them in a way to balance the weight out.

They don’t do that.[/quote]

Actually, in small planes they do. I weigh about 275 and frequently fly on small puddle-jumpers for work. I am often asked to sit in the middle of the plane (over the wing = better balance?). It does not happen all of the time, but it does happen.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
Professor X wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
EG wrote:
Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem.

Mathemtatically, same problem yes.

However, I think we could safely assume that X and Bauer are proud of the type of weight they carry.

The point is, it makes the entire story sound like bullshit. I have never been told to change my seat in a plane because I was too heavy. The article claims it was a large plane. What type of commercial plane can’t handle a couple of people sitting in one area in that way? Has anyone here been weighed before they got on a plane? For this claim to make sense, they would have to regularly weigh the people on planes and seat them in a way to balance the weight out.

They don’t do that.

Actually, in small planes they do. I weigh about 275 and frequently fly on small puddle-jumpers for work. I am often asked to sit in the middle of the plane (over the wing = better balance?). It does not happen all of the time, but it does happen.
[/quote]

The couple said in the article that it wasn’t a small plane though.

FWIW I’ve been on a regular commercial flight in the USA that did this. It was a smaller regional plane. I don’t remember if it was prop or jet, might have been a prop plane. It was 2 seats on 1 side, 1 seat on the other side. And they actually shifted passengers to make sure the weight was approx even. Don’t think any fat people were embarrassed on the plane that I remember, but it was interesting since I’d never seen this done before (and I’d never been on that small a plane either).