T Nation

Couple Too Heavy: Plane Couldn't Take Off

The airline diet: Couple lose 12st after plane could not take off because they were too heavy

The plane was on the runway; the holidaymakers in good spirits.

And when the stewardess came down the aisle towards Jan Coupe and her husband, she thought the flight attendant was going to check their seatbelts.

Then came the moment Mrs Coupe wished the earth would open up and she could disappear.

For the stewardess had to tell the couple - who weighed 38st between them - that they were too heavy for the plane to take off.

As his wife cringed with embarrassment, 20st Alan Coupe moved to the front of the aircraft to help even out the weight.

While it was a scene they wouldn’t have wished on their worst enemies, some good has come of it.

Full Story:

"It wasn’t the first time their weight had caused a problem.

A few years earlier they had been on a boat ride at the London Dungeon with their son and daughter Chloe.

Mrs Coupe said: 'Both Alan and I sat on the same side of the boat and it tipped over, causing water to slosh in."

Oh boy. Well, at least they lost some weight unlike most people. They look a lot better now.

How much is a stone in like kgs or lbs?

1st = 6.35kg.

Must’ve been a small plane, otherwise I don’t believe this crap.

Good for them. The only sad thing is that it took two embarrassing events for them to do something about it. You’d think the first one would be enough motivation, or you know, just wanting to be healthy and look good, but that’s probably asking too much.

Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem.

[quote]EG wrote:
Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem. [/quote]

The plane might be too scared to not take off with them onboard. With these chubbies, it got pissed and said “fuck it, I ain’t a trough…even me the fuck out or get off”

They were worried about the Center of Gravity(CG) being moved too far Aft(rear of the plane). This could cause the plane to become harder/impossible to recover from a stall. More than likely the plane would of been fine but they were being prudent. Without knowing the model it is hard to say if the decision was correct or not.

On smaller planes there have been crashes due to bowling balls rolling to the aft cargo in a climb resulting in an unrecoverable stall. Then again these smaller planes, like Cessna 172’s, would hardly be able to take off with 530lbs of passenger weight.

Since airlines have considered running fuel capacity at minimum requirements and charging for 2d check baggage-I feel some sort of animosity towards obese fliers. Several times I have been sandwiched between obese individuals-no arm space on an inter continental flight. Maybe some some day there will be a scale at the check in and your weight will reflect on your ticket price.

Aw, that’s nice. I’m glad they lost weight and feel good. The look like happy, decent people.

Don’t hate, T-Nation.

[quote]EG wrote:
Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem. [/quote]

Mathemtatically, same problem yes.

However, I think we could safely assume that X and Bauer are proud of the type of weight they carry.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
EG wrote:
Between them they weighed 530lbs or 214kgs. What if Prof X and Bauer sat on a plane next to each other. Same Problem.

Mathemtatically, same problem yes.

However, I think we could safely assume that X and Bauer are proud of the type of weight they carry.[/quote]

The point is, it makes the entire story sound like bullshit. I have never been told to change my seat in a plane because I was too heavy. The article claims it was a large plane. What type of commercial plane can’t handle a couple of people sitting in one area in that way? Has anyone here been weighed before they got on a plane? For this claim to make sense, they would have to regularly weigh the people on planes and seat them in a way to balance the weight out.

They don’t do that.

sounds like that time I caused an emergency landing and a two day delay in Hawaii no one seemed angry though???

glad they lost weight

A few years back my friend and I were asked to move seats on a plane. The plane wasn’t full. My friend was probably 140lbs and I was around 180lbs. Sometimes they just need to redistribute the weight. Given their weight it was probably easier to make one person change seats than two lighter people.

bpeck

I can only imagine the stewardess irritably asking over the loud-speaker: “Ladies and gentlemen, we are being suspended due to the possibility of a FUPA on board. If you have any information regarding the location of a FUPA, or are a carrier yourslef, please report to the plane crew.”

[quote]EG wrote:

X doesn’t need to fly, he brings the sky down to him.

no way that was a “large plane”

it was a little puddle jumper if anything.

20 seats or so.

i’m glad to see they are a lot healthier now

Maybe they were bulking.

“They’re too buff to get on the plane”

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
X doesn’t need to fly, he brings the sky down to him.[/quote]

Lol!

That’s gotta suck =[