Couple Questions

Few weeks into 5/3/1

23 yr old, 176lbs male.

What is some of the lingo being used on this forum such as FSL, BBB, going 5 forward then 3 back in some programs?

I think my program is pretty well rounded, I do chuck chin ups and calf work in as super sets some of the bigger lifts.

I’ve recently started ice hockey so I am trying to get a bit more explosive and use my strength functionally. hence box jumps etc are added in.

Any feedback would be great, particularly if anyone could estimate how many calories they’d like to see someone take with this sort of program, add in 3 hours of ice time or so a week.

My program:
Chest
BB bench press
Db pullovers
Dips
Cable flys.

Shoulder
OHP
Reverse Band flys
Lateral raises
Chins

Back
DL
One arm DB row
Pullups
Farmer walks

Legs
Squat
Prowler pushes
hypers/super set with box jump
some one leg plyometrics.

FSL - first set last, supplemental work after your 531 sets using the first 531 weight typically at 3-5 sets for 5-8 reps

BBB - boring but big variation (just buy the two books, the orig (v2) and Beyond for all the variations

5 forward, 3 back - 5 cycles of adding weight (25lbs or 50lbs), then on the 6th cycle, drop 15lbs or 30lbs from your TM and go 5 forward again.

You should do your plyometrics/speed work before your big lifts, from the article above.

Not certain why so much stuff in your routine if you are trying to get bigger and you are playing hockey.

Cheers.

Yeah I did just read a box jump article on here stating they should be used prior to big lifts not as conditioning tools, so i’ll change that.

for the FSL weights you mean in %'s right?

It does feel like a bit of a workload at the moment. I may strip it down after this first cycle.

[quote]Rollsroyce13 wrote:

for the FSL weights you mean in %'s right?
[/quote]

Yep - so week 1, the FSL % is 65% of your TM ( 70% week2, 75% week3)

[quote]bartmann wrote:
5 forward, 3 back - 5 cycles of adding weight (25lbs or 50lbs), then on the 6th cycle, drop 15lbs or 30lbs from your TM and go 5 forward again.
[/quote]

I was never able to figure out if 5 forward, 3 back was 15/30 from what the new TM would be or from the one you just completed…

I think I might be “majoring in the minors” to quote Jim.

5 forward, 3 back

starting with a TM of 250

TM 250
TM 260 (1)
DL
TM 270 (2)
TM 280 (3)
DL
TM 290 (4)
TM 300 (5)
DL
TM 270 (or maybe 280)