T Nation

Couple Of T2 Questions For Cy

Hey Cy, what is your opinion of combining the old T2 with HOT-ROX? I got the idea from reading a HOT-ROX thread and I think you approved the notion of combining T4 with HOT-ROX for those who have a T4 prescription. It would make an awesome addition to HOT-ROX with the gel technology and all, IMO.

Next question, why is the T2 still being sold by one of your competitors when the FDA came down so hard and fast on Biotest when it was introduced? I am just curious and confused as to the how and why is all, thank you.

[quote]Galvatron wrote:
Hey Cy, what is your opinion of combining the old T2 with HOT-ROX? I got the idea from reading a HOT-ROX thread and I think you approved the notion of combining T4 with HOT-ROX for those who have a T4 prescription. It would make an awesome addition to HOT-ROX with the gel technology and all, IMO.

Next question, why is the T2 still being sold by one of your competitors when the FDA came down so hard and fast on Biotest when it was introduced? I am just curious and confused as to the how and why is all, thank you.[/quote]

I’ve actually gone over, long, long ago, in previous threads that HOT-ROX and T3, T2, etc., are best not used concurrently, in euthyroid individuals. In those who are hypothyroid already, I didn’t see the problem. In those that are euthyroid, however, HOT-ROX is best used after a period of exogenous thyroid hormone supplementation (i.e., “cycle”) has ceased, in order to regain a euthyroid state more quickly and lessen any potential gain in fat mass.

To the best of my knowledge, T2 is still not to be sold as a dietary supplement, and I was not aware that anyone was attempting to continue to sell it. Are you sure it’s 3,5-diiodo-L-thyronine that this other company is selling?

Its 3,5 Diiodothyronine, no L, if that makes a difference.

Interesting. I took a look around and it appears as though a few companies are in fact selling it.

As far as I know, it’s not “banned” or “illegal” to do so but the FDA had said they were not keen about the idea of a thyroid hormone being sold as a supplement and consequently put a lot of pressure upon Biotest to pull it. There’s actually a bit more to the story than that. Anyhow, this was quite some time ago, so I’m guessing these other companies either don’t know, or what I think more likely, don’t care and will continue selling it until some type of authority says otherwise. I think it’s a situation where these other companies are thinking, “Well, no one told US not to sell it, so let’s do so until someone says otherwise.”

How dangerous is it to use T2 if you have mild hypertension which you control with a 50 mg. Atenolol tab each day? I would be interested in trying it, but I’ve always heard increasing thyroid hormone can seriously raise blood pressure and bring about other cardiovascular side effects.

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar524 wrote:
How dangerous is it to use T2 if you have mild hypertension which you control with a 50 mg. Atenolol tab each day? I would be interested in trying it, but I’ve always heard increasing thyroid hormone can seriously raise blood pressure and bring about other cardiovascular side effects.

Crowbar[/quote]

It’s really impossible for me to say exactly how dangerous. There have never been any studies done evaluating the effects of T2 upon blood pressure and we most certainly don’t know at what dose a substantial increase was likely to occur. I wouldn’t recommend using it in your case.