Couple of Random Westside Questions

[quote]dankid wrote:
Did some back squats today, they were pretty good. No troubles with my back or anything, but my shoulders are a bit tight to get the bar onto my back at the moment.

Im tempted to avoid DE lower work for a while, and just have a deadlift day and a squat day each week. But we’ll see.[/quote]

what are your squat and dead lift numbers?

Haven’t maxed on them in a while, but I can probably front squat 300lbs, and deadlift 405. As for back squat, im not sure since im just learning it, but with a little practice maybe 300-350.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
no rotated lifts? Look at tate’s 9 week plan and revise is based on your front squat goals.[/quote]

Couldn’t find Tate’ plan. And im not sure what you mean about rotated lifts. Im switching the ME lifts every 1-2 weeks.

Did you guys listen to the Louie Simmons interview on HMR? He said that he has his guys train like 8 times per week, with the usual 4 sessions and then 4 sessions of basically weak point training.

Does anyone know what these weak point sessions look like?

[quote]matrick wrote:
Did you guys listen to the Louie Simmons interview on HMR? He said that he has his guys train like 8 times per week, with the usual 4 sessions and then 4 sessions of basically weak point training.

Does anyone know what these weak point sessions look like?[/quote]

No, but ive seen this mentioned many times. I think more sessions are for more advanced lifters, and a lot of times the extra sessions are really short, like a set or two of RE work.

It probably is highly individual, but could be something like sled work, or face pulls, or DB clean and press.

Sometimes when my shoulders or traps aren’t feeling right, i’ll do a couple sets of high reps face pulls on an off day.

[quote]dankid wrote:
matrick wrote:

Does anyone know what these weak point sessions look like?

No, but ive seen this mentioned many times. I think more sessions are for more advanced lifters, and a lot of times the extra sessions are really short, like a set or two of RE work.

It probably is highly individual, but could be something like sled work, or face pulls, or DB clean and press.

Sometimes when my shoulders or traps aren’t feeling right, i’ll do a couple sets of high reps face pulls on an off day.

[/quote]

no they are what are called recovery work outs that are done 24 hours after the main workout witch are the bread and butter of westside. without them you will burn out and stall or worse go backwards. in westside book of methods louie says recovery workouts should be at about 30% volume of the main workouts.

i only do 1 a week 24 hours after my max effort bench day i do:

flat dumbell press 2 sets of 10 to failure.
rope pushdowns light 3 sets of 10 not to failure.
face pulls light 3 sets of 10 not to failure.
lat pulldowns light 3 sets of 10 not to failure.

if you try doing recovery workouts and you feel like its impeding your main workout you doing to much volume :slight_smile:

thats my 2 cents LOL

so for a recovery type workout targeting hams/glutes/quads (post squat) , maybe a couple sets of LIGHT leg press and a couple sets of light squat variation ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
so for a recovery type workout targeting hams/glutes/quads (post squat) , maybe a couple sets of LIGHT leg press and a couple sets of light squat variation ?[/quote]

glute ham raise,reverse hyper,band leg curls. but if you dont have access to any of these what you said should do. the main thing really is to not go crazy just get the blood flowing and maybe pick the 1st exercise your gonna do and do 1 or 2 sets to failure with that but everyting after that dont go to failure.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm