T Nation

Couple of Questions about Lifting

Hi Guys,

I just found this website, and it has so much awesome information. I have a few simple questions and was hoping to get some advice.

My current situation I have lifted on and off for 7-8 years doing basic bodybuilding stuff, with my body weight fluctuating.

I’m 5’8 220.2

I recently found the Strongman 5x5 routine and have fallen in love with it and have deiced to continue training in power lifting. When I began the training in January I was 238lbs. As of today I am 220.2 lbs. I had cut my calories to roughly 1200 a day. But now that I’m more into the powerlifting aspect and think its something I’d like to get more into, should I continue to cut weight? Or being to eat more and gain weight? I’m not trying to look all cut.( I understand the common misconception about people thinking powerlifters eat everything all the time.)

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1200 calories too low for pretty much anyone.

Eat clean/the right foods and you can up start upping your cals quite a bit(and use them to train harder)…

Thanks for the links and response. I keep hitting dead ends in finding a good diet to follow. I’m prior military so I can MAKE myself eat whatever and that article was great but I need to find a good nutrient dense plan, if you have any recommendations?

Badger please excuse me I didn’t see the second link you sent me. I think I will try the green face diet. And just so I understands big thing is no bread and carbs correct? Would it be an issue to supplement that with a protein shake a day? I usually do this when I’m too busy to eat

Exactly.

Supplementing with Protein shake is just fine.

Thanks for all the advice Badgerman. One last question with the diet I assume I’m cutting out all dairy (milk, cheese, dressing ect) I read that there are some exceptions so I’m kind of confused on that. Also I know this is more of a total opinion thing, but would you say give the green faces diet a run for a 30 days and then re-asses the situation? Thanks again for all the info

For me the main thing is that you totally cut out sugar/fast carbs and starches and any processed crap. A bit of dairy should be fine, a good amount of say quality full fat greek yogurt would be beneficial even.

Yeah 30 days and evaluate is a good plan