Couple EDT Questions

Hi folks,
Going to try some EDT stuff starting this week, so for those who have done/are doing EDT, I had a couple questions I didn’t see in the articles.

  • what kind of warmup should be done before the 15-minute session?
  • With the 4x/week lifting schedule, is cardio done the other 3?
  • Doesn’t seem to be much direct ab work - should this be done separately?

Thanks for any tips you can share! :slight_smile:

[quote]Jared W wrote:
what kind of warmup should be done before the 15-minute session?[/quote]
Just use your general warm-up. Something basic to raise core temperature (brief/easy cardio, some basic bodyweight exercises, etc.), maybe some mobility stuff, a few easy warm-up sets of each exercise to get your training weight for the day, and then get right to work.

If you want/need to do additional cardio, you could do it on your off days (preferably leaving one day of no training at all). But traditional EDT is often used as part of a “fat loss” program, so you’re already getting a pretty strong metabolic workout during the EDT sessions (presuming you’re pushing it hard and fast enough).

Four EDT sessions plus additional cardio is what I’d consider a fairly-aggressive fat loss plan. If you’re doing additional cardio, I’d use something steady-state like incline walking, to complement the interval-style of EDT.

If you want/need to train abs, I’d do it at the end of the session after all your PR zones for the day. Or you could be wild and do the ab work before the PR zones. Experiment and see which feels best (I could be off-base, but I’d guess Charles would suggest doing abs after).

Also, if you haven’t seen it already, check out Your 10 Most Common Questions Answered:
https://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/going_deep_with_edt_your_10_most_common_questions_answered
That might help if other stuff comes up.

on the EDT Fat Loss Solution program, Staley and Cosgrove recommend 15-20 minutes light cardio (like walking) more as a way to recover from the workouts.

I might start with 3 days a week of EDT if you’ve never used it. It’s a very effective program, but it’s very hard if you’ve never done it. 45 minutes of virtually non-stop lifting.

Warm-ups are very easy. Typically, since you’re going to a 10 rep max with 5 reps, do 3-4 reps of 5 starting at about 50% or so.

Thanks guys!

[quote]BBriere wrote:
45 minutes of virtually non-stop lifting.
[/quote]

This isn’t what I got from what I’ve read so far:

  • I was flipping through one of Staley’s EDT books at the store (dont’ recall which one) and from what I saw there was only a single 15-minute zone per workout.
  • In the 11/09 issue of M&F a sample EDT program lists a compulsory 15-min zone with an additional optional 15-min zone of a different exercise pair.
  • In the 10 Questions that Chris linked to, it seems to only be a single 15-min zone.

Ok, well anyway I did my first EDT workout tonight!
Paired bench with bicep curl.

New question — how on earth do you keep track of the reps and sets? Take a pause and write them down each time?
I tried to keep them in my head, and I think I got it right (might have missed keeping track of a couple smaller sets) but it was fairly distracting trying to juggle the numbers while lifting.

But anyway, it was definitely fun and I’m looking forward to working with this some more.

[quote]Jared W wrote:
Thanks guys!

[quote]BBriere wrote:
45 minutes of virtually non-stop lifting.
[/quote]

This isn’t what I got from what I’ve read so far:

  • I was flipping through one of Staley’s EDT books at the store (dont’ recall which one) and from what I saw there was only a single 15-minute zone per workout.
  • In the 11/09 issue of M&F a sample EDT program lists a compulsory 15-min zone with an additional optional 15-min zone of a different exercise pair.
  • In the 10 Questions that Chris linked to, it seems to only be a single 15-min zone.

Ok, well anyway I did my first EDT workout tonight!
Paired bench with bicep curl.

New question — how on earth do you keep track of the reps and sets? Take a pause and write them down each time?
I tried to keep them in my head, and I think I got it right (might have missed keeping track of a couple smaller sets) but it was fairly distracting trying to juggle the numbers while lifting.

You can get the book Muscle Logic or the EDT DVD. Both lay out tons of EDT style workouts. Yes, one starts with one 15 minute PR Zone per day. Depending on your time/fitness level you can work your way up to three 15 minute PR Zones. If you did just one then you probably could easily get away with 4 or 5 days a week.

I think the site for the training logs is called edtsecrets.com. You should be able to get a blank log to keep up with your reps. Yes, you are supposed to log them after every set. Not sure where you work out, but I love doing EDT in my home gym so that I don’t have to drag a log book and stop watch to the gym. Plus it gets hard sometimes in a crowded gym to find two things to make a PR Zone out of.

But anyway, it was definitely fun and I’m looking forward to working with this some more.[/quote]

Stupid me. I accidentally put everything I wrote in quotations too.

You can get the book Muscle Logic or the EDT DVD. Both lay out tons of EDT style workouts. Yes, one starts with one 15 minute PR Zone per day. Depending on your time/fitness level you can work your way up to three 15 minute PR Zones. If you did just one then you probably could easily get away with 4 or 5 days a week.

I think the site for the training logs is called edtsecrets.com. You should be able to get a blank log to keep up with your reps. Yes, you are supposed to log them after every set. Not sure where you work out, but I love doing EDT in my home gym so that I don’t have to drag a log book and stop watch to the gym. Plus it gets hard sometimes in a crowded gym to find two things to make a PR Zone out of.

But anyway, it was definitely fun and I’m looking forward to working with this some more.

[quote]Jared W wrote:
This isn’t what I got from what I’ve read so far:

  • I was flipping through one of Staley’s EDT books at the store (dont’ recall which one) and from what I saw there was only a single 15-minute zone per workout.
  • In the 11/09 issue of M&F a sample EDT program lists a compulsory 15-min zone with an additional optional 15-min zone of a different exercise pair.
  • In the 10 Questions that Chris linked to, it seems to only be a single 15-min zone.[/quote]
    There are different “versions” of EDT, none are necessarily wrong as long as the underlying concept (increased training density each session) is kept.

One of the first EDT workouts way back when called for 2 20-minute PR zones with a 5-minute rest between each. In the article I linked to, he was talking about 15-minutes per zone.

It’s not stated in that article, but I believe up to three or four PR zones is tops, with two or three per workout being more common. As the strength philosopher Dan John might say, go ahead and do four PR zones in one workout and you’ll see why not it’s not the norm.

As another example (hopefully not to confuse things further) here’s a program Staley designed that uses three PR zones per session:

When I did EDT, I’d scrawl the number of reps into my notebook as I switched between exercises. Just keep a running tally, so it might look like:

Flat bench press: 225 pounds 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 1

Barbell curl: 115 pounds 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 2

As soon as the workout’s done, tally the total reps per exercise, jot it down next to each exercise, and, badabingbadaboom, you’ve got your target reps to beat next session.

Awesome! Thanks again dudes. :smiley: :smiley:

I’m doing it at home, and yep it’s nice.

[quote]When I did EDT, I’d scrawl the number of reps into my notebook as I switched between exercises. Just keep a running tally, so it might look like:

Flat bench press: 225 pounds 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 1

Barbell curl: 115 pounds 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 2 [/quote]
Interesting — I was thinking when the first exercise dropped a rep, the 2nd would too to “match” the set, but maybe that’s just since I was thinking that’d be easier to keep track of in my head.

I’ll keep a notepad next to me next time.

[quote]Jared W wrote:
Awesome! Thanks again dudes. :smiley: :smiley:

I’m doing it at home, and yep it’s nice.

[quote]When I did EDT, I’d scrawl the number of reps into my notebook as I switched between exercises. Just keep a running tally, so it might look like:

Flat bench press: 225 pounds 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 1

Barbell curl: 115 pounds 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 4 3 2 2 2 [/quote]
Interesting — I was thinking when the first exercise dropped a rep, the 2nd would too to “match” the set, but maybe that’s just since I was thinking that’d be easier to keep track of in my head.

I’ll keep a notepad next to me next time.[/quote]

I keep track using slashes in a note book. A mate of mine also used 1 cent coins.

What are your EDT goals? Cause if you want to lose fat then keep the reps where they are at but if you are looking for muscle gian then i Rx taking the reps down and weight up. But keep it up for a onth and see how it goes.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:

I keep track using slashes in a note book.[/quote]
+1

Made up my own log sheets, going to try them out this week!