Countrygirl 2018 Log

Damn, gotta start coming up with more outlandish stuff to keep you on your toes

2 Likes
1 Like

I feel like racing cars tonight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Fast and Furious style!!

1 Like

Today I had my first experience with a whole food hippie type store :flushed: I was in cowboy boots and jeans and everyone I saw was wearing Jesus sandals and Khakis!! I stayed open to the possibility they would accept me as their own and they absolutely did :grin: The people were wonderful and gave great advice on clean cooking and herbs. I feel like I can go back anytime and get the best advice. Itā€™s hard to get over the price of things but because they are so informative it counts for something. It will be a slow process learning new techniques but Iā€™m good with slow.

7 Likes

Sticker price shock is common the first time you start looking at locally grown and organic foods and many will tell you itā€™s a scam.

I think if you begin to look at the benefits of quality products, you can decide what is worth paying extra for, and what is not. Most of it depends on your perspective. For example, water is such a key component to your health, I feel like itā€™s worth it to make sure I have quality water - I distill tap water and then treat it with prill beads - the prill is probably a scam, but it does taste better to me.

Organic chicken is affordable, so I make that choice, grass fed beef is not so I avoid red meat with the exception of grass fed ground beef once a week.

Just some ideas.

1 Like

@The_Myth I like your ideas and please feel free to share anytime!

I agree I want to find a balance of the things I like to get there and also use what I already know is good. We donā€™t raise organic beef and pork but I feel good about the meat from the farm because I know it from start to finish. I completely agree with the water too as Iā€™m pretty picky about our water. There are a few food items I picked up and was shocked at how good it tasted and the bold flavors. I was worried it would be bland and flat. Iā€™m excited about this experience and canā€™t wait to try more things :slightly_smiling_face:

How do you feel about vitamins? I noticed they have them for everything and Iā€™ve never looked into it muchā€¦

My daily supplement routine is ridiculous, and it includes vitamins. I know many feel it is a waste as a good diet will provide all of the necessary vitamins, but my diet isnā€™t always so good - I have a hard time getting green vegetables.

If youā€™re raising your own, I understand how you feel. One of the things I have been reading about is how GMO corn adversely affects the ratio of Omega 3 fatty acids to Omega 6 fatty acids in commercial livestock

Of course, hormones in commercially grown livestock is a huge issue - I am sure you are way more versed in these issues than I.

You can get way woo on the supplements, and I am probably a bit extreme on my daily routine, but hey, if it makes you feel good . . .

1 Like

Iā€™m the complete opposite to @The_Myth :joy:

I get whatā€™s cheap, and eat that. Seems to work. Granted, I need to go cheap because budget but even before I was eating so much I never really bothered with where food came from. The most vitamins Iā€™ll take are those effervescent tablets (down here theyā€™re called Berocca) because I figure I eat enough meats, veggies and fruit that I donā€™t need supplements.

I think itā€™s a case of whatever you prefer to do.

2 Likes

Yeah, this.

For me, the commercially produced meats are no longer an option. Knowing that cattle are standing in their own shit, pumped full of antibiotics to prevent infections, then fattened up on tren before being slaughtered inhumanely, for me, I just donā€™t want to put that negative shit in my body. Not to mention the Omega 3 to Omega 6 issues associated with GMO corn fed beef.

But, gotta admit, I still eat a few Ribeyes. And really, just my choice, not anybody elses, and truly, not judging.

Organic vegetables and grass fed beef is truly a first world problem. Iā€™d like to think that if more people got on the band wagon, the prices would come down and there would be less of a carbon footprint for raising meat. But Iā€™m pretty naive about that.

A few years ago while I was driving cross country, I met a dude in Wyoming that told me that he made windmills, and that a windmill would have to work continuously for forty years to amortize the petroleum products that went into making that windmill in the first place.

I actually looked into getting chickens so I could have fresh eggs, but my town doesnā€™t allow it. So then I found out I can raise quail in my basement. But, of course, the whole killing and cleaning thing became a problem.

With my Buddhist leanings, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if I didnā€™t end up vegetarian soon.

I think Rip might hate me then.

5 Likes

I buy my cow from a farmer nearby but it still gets fattened up with corn. Iā€™m not overly concerned with their diet but I like knowing that the animal was treated well and got to roam free.

I know another family that raises hogs so I might get one of those later this year once my freezer has a little more space.

I havenā€™t found a good way to get chicken yet.

3 Likes

A little bit different than what you get in the grocery store. As long as itā€™s not GMO corn, Iā€™d be good with that.

Commercial stockyards are a horror show.

If I could find locally sourced beef, I would do that for sure.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why my wife went vegan. It started with a cleanse to get healthy after multiple illnesses close together. Then she started watching Netflix documentaries and it was over.

The hog farms are heart breaking.

If I were to eat meat again itā€™d be kangaroo. Iā€™m good with Skippy

4 Likes

Does it make it better because they fight back? :laughing:

1 Like

Haha dude a big red would fuck me up!

1 Like

Anything bar a tiny joey needs to be treated with extreme caution :joy:

I can understand peopleā€™s thoughts on meat and why they feel the way they do. Even as someone who does farming I canā€™t fault people for the information they have on the topic. We were all raised differently and learn from different resources which doesnā€™t make anyone specifically wrong. As Iā€™ve gotten older I learned to not argue how people feel because maybe both sides are correct based on personal experience.

I canā€™t deny that there are awful people who treat animals horrible. Like anything else people make videos of the bad and it then labels everyone in the same group. The farmers I know personally have the upmost respect and pride in whatever they are producing. They are always willing to let people visit the farms just so they can educate on the practices they use. Itā€™s more then just a job and the pay isnā€™t good. You would think with the meat prices this high the farmer gets that money but it is the meat packers who do. There is so much hard work and sacrifice given from a farmer who is good at their job! Iā€™ve always wanted to make a video on the topic and represent where I come from. Actually I feel closer to nature because of my background.

I canā€™t speak much on the slaughter houses because our farms have nothing to do with that. I do have a buddy that owns a small slaughter house and heā€™s a good guy with strict guidelines. Iā€™m sure in the more commercialized areas itā€™s different.

If you buy organic something to keep in mind is make sure that the person has the label of certification for those products. At farmers markets people say they are but the catch is that they didnā€™t get the certification because of the strict guidelines so it might not be organic. Being certified is a huge process because of how your farm needs to be set up. Most people are unaware that even the fence post keeping the animals in need to be of specific standards.

Side note so people donā€™t think Iā€™m heartless: I remember how hard it was to shoot my first deer. I kept thinking about Bambi which sounds funny but very true. I kept giving the deer human characteristics which made it so much harder. I then thought about what the deer could provide to me and that I would always use every part I could. I donā€™t have issues with hunting now especially since I found local families who donā€™t have money and really need meat. I make clean shots or donā€™t shoot at all. I take respect for the animal very seriously. One time I was in dress clothes on my way to a business meeting with my boss. We stopped at a light and a couple cars up a lady was freaking out standing beside her car. I put my window down as she walked up and she told me a deer had been hit and people kept driving fast around it and she was scared it would get hit again laying there. I got out of the car and my boss asked where I was going and I said I want to see it. It was small and alive and I talked to it. I saw where itā€™s back leg was hit so I put my arms around the front half and pulled it up in the grass as I was looking it in the face still talking. The lady was thankful and said she would stay with it until the police came. I do my best to be a good caretaker of everything.

6 Likes

Have been busy and havenā€™t stopped by. :hugs:

1 Like

@girlgotguns me too but wondered where you went :slightly_smiling_face: Life gets sooooo crazy busy!!

1 Like

@The_Myth Well my diet isnā€™t as clean as most and thatā€™s why I thought about the vitamins too. In the summer I do better because of the garden and fresh veggies!!

I think not eating meat would be very very hard for me!! I do eat more vegetarian foods now but canā€™t go all day like that :weary: ā€¦ Of course people who have been doing it a while probably cook amazing food I would fall in love with.