Countrygirl 2018 Log

Also ya I used to have certain songs for dunking which hyped me up more. Like you said, when you use them when you’re most hype, brain creates a bridge between that song & releasing adrenaline etc. It’s why I also used to try and create bridges between squatting/heavy lifting and dunking: ie, thinking about dunking before my heavy squat sets and also saying the same mantras before each, etc.

One of my favorite sessions was just heavy near-training-max (~95% relaxed of TM, no psyche up) squat singles with ~2-2.5 minutes rest between each. This was actually a “mock dunk/vert session” in disguise. Before each squat i’d use similar visualization/mantras as dunking/jumping. Likewise, i’d walk around pacing, getting ready for the next effort - just like a dunk session. My dunk sessions were pretty much exactly how those MESM (maximal effort strength method according to Verk) sessions would play out. I started off at ~5 singles but eventually I would do sessions from 15-20 singles, just mirrored my improvements in dunk/jump work capacity.

Those small tools can be incredibly powerful.

As for running/sprinting however, no music lol. Music before tho :smiley:

peace!

1 Like

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. I’ll have to say it wasn’t easy, but surprisingly doable

I don’t play too much sports anymore but if I did that’s something I’d definitely do

I’ve always found that music fucks up my running rhythm + dealing with earphones falling out all the time is not something I want to do

1 Like

It’s a gothic/melodic metal band from Italy, be sure to check their other songs, I love them!

1 Like

0 for 2 :anguished:

1 Like

:weary: I wonder how many people actually had a good bracket this year?!? I guess the final pick wouldn’t be way off for some. I hope they somehow both lose!

No one had a good bracket. This is possibly the worst bracket I’ve ever had (overall); although, I did hit three out of the four Final Four teams. Before last night’s games my bracket was in the 100th percentile on ESPN. That’s how terrible everyone did! I think I only got 19 out of the first 32 games correct. Brutal.

That was an absolute horrible way for KU to go out. They never made it competitive. I was disappointed to see them try to force it inside in the first half. They usually shoot 30 threes a game and they only took a handful in the first half. That’s their game (just like Villanova) but they didn’t play that way. They tried to be old KU and pound it inside but after the start Nova had they couldn’t afford to trade two’s for three’s. It was tough to watch. I finally shut it off with 7 minutes left and went to bed.

KU over-performed this year based on their lack of big men. I should be thrilled they made the Final Four but it’s always tough to watch them come up short. I was hoping there would be some magic in the Alamodome since they won it there 10 years ago.

1 Like

@Frank_C Your bracket was better than mine but I just couldn’t get over the craziness this year. I agree it is hard to see your team get knocked out even if they did better than you expected. I guess on to the next sport and get excited for next years madness!!

Popular sports I don’t like: NFL- don’t even get me started on the kneeling bullshit, Golf- makes me sleep, and Baseball- :roll_eyes: I’ve tried but can’t get into it unless I’m drinking!

NFL—I only watched the last few games last year and my life wasn’t affected (by the decrease)

Golf—I’ll watch occasionally on Sundays if nothing else is on.

Baseball—post season only.

And back to the Final Four—everyone’s season is over tomorrow and in a few months I’ll forget who even won.

1 Like

HAPPY EASTER FRIENDS
Such a beautiful Sunday and spending time with family makes me very thankful and blessed :two_hearts: I ate a lot of food and have plenty of leftovers for the week! Food makes me a happy lady :laughing:

I had a friend stop over who has been away playing in the sandbox for about a year. It was nice catching up and hearing deployment stories.

I did my homework from physical therapy taking everything seriously so I can move forward. I keep thinking if I tell myself I’m improving maybe I will get better faster haha silly I know but it could work, right?!?

I hope you all have a fantastic week!

7 Likes

Positive mindset will help. Brian Carroll recently released a book he wrote with Dr Stuart McGill called The Gift of Injury, and Brian reckons doing his back was one of the best things that happened to him in the long term.

2 Likes

“The Gift of Injury” hmm nice. Reminds me of Louie Simmons with the reverse hyper as well. Will look into that. I can relate. I’ve had so many injuries throughout my “sports life” that I basically adopted that mindset way back. Actually, I adopted it at age 5 when I broke my left arm (i’m a natural lefty) and then was so active that I became righty with sports. I write left, sports right.

One of the best examples of this (for me) was back in high school, when I learned to shoot jumpers with my off hand after breaking a finger on my right (shooting) hand. Practiced form shooting drills with my left, every day. That set in motion, down the road (many more months of practice), the ability to shoot with either hand in actual games - could pull up lefty or righty. It was kind of nuts.

Also with some of these tweaks I have now, this down no-running-week has allowed me to re-introduce intense basketball dribbling back into my routine (which i’ve wanted to do for a long time) and focus more on my leangoals. I always try to improve some other component when I get injured.

peace!!

3 Likes

@markko very interesting and I’m going to look into that! Thank you for posting :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@adarqui I wish I had your energy!! For some reason I have you pictured as someone who can’t chill out and is always on the move. You are motivated and determined which is fantastic. I also like that fact that even with the break your currently taking you find other ways to release the energy. I am pushing myself and doing things I probably shouldn’t yet but sometimes it’s worth a little pain later.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!!! Much appreciated!

And ya, it’s very hard for me to completely relax. Even if it’s just walking for an hour or two, I try to do something. Fitness doesn’t disappear as fast as people think, but not moving AT ALL can really accelerate/exacerbate fitness/strength loss. In extreme cases it’s necessary, but for the not-so-extreme issues, I try to figure out how to keep moving.

I try very hard not to push through legit injuries. I may test some issues/tweaks for a while before shutting it down, but that’s when it seems like a minor tweak. I have lots of those that just disappear as I keep training. Sometimes they are actually “ghost pains”, that almost seem fake and just come & go seemingly out of nowhere, just doesn’t make much sense. Anyway, once I realize that it’s an issue that will only get worse, I shut it down & switch it up fast.

As far as doing things you probably shouldn’t: trust your gut. If it’s telling you not to do it, but your ego is trying to override it, probably shouldn’t listen to the ego. The ego is pretty much always wrong lmao! But ya there should be things you can do even if it’s incredibly low intensity (ie literally just walking).

It really comes down to: is it facilitating recovery/healing, or is it delaying it. Never want to delay, ie make things worse. Always just want to find something that doesn’t at all delay healing of the current issue(s) and instead just increases blood flow & aids in repair etc.

Also make sure diet is solid!!

One of the best things to do in an “injury phase”, it work on cleaning up the diet even more. Need more protein, can’t cut calories because you need to repair etc, but it’s a great time to cut out junk etc. Can end up making physique-gains and such simply from diet, then it’s kicked into overdrive once you can train again.

For my recent switch-it-up-phase, i’m targeting 3 components: i’ve modified my diet, incorporated a higher frequency of bodyweight exercises, (stopped running/doing anything that causes any pain), and incorporated basketball dribbling since I don’t experience any pains while doing it (so it should facilitate repair instead of delay).

2cents!

peace!!!

4 Likes

@adarqui as always I appreciate your advice :slightly_smiling_face: I am happy to have you post anytime. What you say may seem simple but it’s good to read often and stuff I may not have thought about it the same way. I enjoy learning from people and their perspective so thank you for that!!

2 Likes

FEELING BETTER & STRONGER
Therapy is working and I’m starting to feel some relief :laughing: I am so freakin excited about this!! I have been working hard and my therapist tells me I still need to slow down and not push as hard but the results keep me motivated. She seemed surprised at how much work I do on my own. It was just like something clicked and the pain today was less. I know I’m not out of the woods but I’ll take the small victories!!

I have been short tempered and in an awful depressed mood because of the pain. It was selfish of me to be like that but I was worried and just wanted to be left alone. I was doing the exercises but failed myself in the fact that I wasn’t nice to the ones around me. I am disappointed in my behavior and plan on apologizing for my bitchy attitude :pensive:

I scheduled a massage package and am looking forward to relaxation and pampering this weekend!! Also @ActivitiesGuy epic fail with the search for beers last weekend but I do have one more place to try and see what I can find :beers:

8 Likes

awesome news!! (other than projecting your frustrations/anger on to those around you! lol.)

1 Like

@adarqui LOL thank you! I wanted to be honest in my log of things I can work on and that seems to be a big one right now.

2 Likes

I find this very hard to believe :stuck_out_tongue: you probably were just not your usual super happy-go-lucky self one day and felt like you were a mega bitch but in reality, no one noticed. Haha

Really good to hear that you are healing up nicely!

2 Likes

Thats awesome!!

1 Like