Country Music

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Whats with David Allen and all those nigger songs? I haven’t heard so many N bombs in a rap song.[/quote]

Check out Johhny Rebel. Those songs make me blush as a country boy.

Big fan of all the Hank’s (especially Grandpa), Hagg, Dwight Yoakam, Dale Watson, Willie & Waylon and the boys, Kristofferson is a genius writer, the first few Pat Green albums, Ray Wylie Hubbard…

I really love the alt-country stuff too – Son Volt, Whiskeytown, Wilco’s first album, The Jayhawks, some of Ryan Adams’ stuff…

Here’s a young up-and-comer with a great authentic country sound, Ryan Bingham

[quote]TxDieselKid wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Whats with David Allen and all those nigger songs? I haven’t heard so many N bombs in a rap song.

Check out Johhny Rebel. Those songs make me blush as a country boy.[/quote]

Actually most people falsely attribute many Johnny Rebel songs to David Allen Coe, which is ridiculous because their voices and music don’t sound anything alike.

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
Big fan of all the Hank’s (especially Grandpa), Hagg, Dwight Yoakam, Dale Watson, Willie & Waylon and the boys, Kristofferson is a genius writer, the first few Pat Green albums, Ray Wylie Hubbard…

I really love the alt-country stuff too – Son Volt, Whiskeytown, Wilco’s first album, The Jayhawks, some of Ryan Adams’ stuff…

Here’s a young up-and-comer with a great authentic country sound, Ryan Bingham
http://www.myspace.com/ryanbingham[/quote]

That song South Side of Heaven is very catchy. I had heard of him before though. I saw this video of him on Wide Open Country:

Another one who I like on myspace:

Hank Williams III is the shit but also check out…

JB Beverley and the Wayward Drifters… Not many compare to these boys except Wayne “the Train” Hancock…

Shooter Jennings hasnt paid his dues and rode in on Waylon’s coattails as far as im concerned. I saw him once and the opening act stole the show so google Whitey Morgan when you get a chance…

Lookup William Elliot Whitmore when you can and also the .357 String band out of Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies are great.

Old Crow Medicine Show…

For one of the best muisicians out there check out the King of Country Troubadors Unknown Hinson…

Guy Clark is great and so is Chris Smither…

As I have getting more into this lately, I just wonder who everyone thinks are the best male and female vocalists in country music, current or all time?

I’m really diggin the Zac Brown Band these days.

Chicken Fried:

(song starts about 1:13 in)

Montgomery Gentry!

[quote]phil_leotardo wrote:
As I have getting more into this lately, I just wonder who everyone thinks are the best male and female vocalists in country music, current or all time?[/quote]

Male vocalist has to be George Strait for my money. He’s been doing the same thing for almost 30 years, and I like his new stuff just as well as I like his old stuff.

He never bought into being a Nashville sellout - well, save for him making Pure Country - but rather forced Nashville to come to him.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Male vocalist has to be George Strait for my money.[/quote]

x2

The more I experience in life, the more Strait hits home.

Great thread! When I first saw the title I figured it’d be mostly Nashville stuff, what I call “Cheerleader Country.”

I love the Texas scene, too: BIG props to Reckless Kelly, Chris Knight, Charlie Robison, Bruce Robison, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Billy Joe Shaver, James McMurtry, Lyle Lovett . . . I could go on and on and on.

I have Sirius Satellite Radio in my truck. Channel 63: “Outlaw Country” is it. Period.

Used to live in the DFW “Metromess.” 95.1 KHYI, try http://www.khyi.com is an independent station that plays the good stuff. One of their tag lines is:

"If you think Britney Spears is more woman than Loretta Lynn you need to move on down the dial . . . "

Now, how much more clearly can you put it than that?!?! :wink:

[quote]trailrash wrote:
Hank Williams III is the shit but also check out…

JB Beverley and the Wayward Drifters… Not many compare to these boys except Wayne “the Train” Hancock…

Shooter Jennings hasnt paid his dues and rode in on Waylon’s coattails as far as im concerned. I saw him once and the opening act stole the show so google Whitey Morgan when you get a chance…

Lookup William Elliot Whitmore when you can and also the .357 String band out of Milwaukee Wisconsin.

Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies are great.

Old Crow Medicine Show…

For one of the best muisicians out there check out the King of Country Troubadors Unknown Hinson…

Guy Clark is great and so is Chris Smither…

[/quote]

Damn. Someone that knows about Unknown and Hank III. They both put on a hell of a show!
Hank williams III

Unknown Hinson

this isn’t country but he’s a hell of a guitarist

[quote]WxHerk wrote:
Great thread! When I first saw the title I figured it’d be mostly Nashville stuff, what I call “Cheerleader Country.”

I love the Texas scene, too: BIG props to Reckless Kelly, Chris Knight, Charlie Robison, Bruce Robison, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Billy Joe Shaver, James McMurtry, Lyle Lovett . . . I could go on and on and on.

I have Sirius Satellite Radio in my truck. Channel 63: “Outlaw Country” is it. Period.

Used to live in the DFW “Metromess.” 95.1 KHYI, try http://www.khyi.com is an independent station that plays the good stuff. One of their tag lines is:

"If you think Britney Spears is more woman than Loretta Lynn you need to move on down the dial . . . "

Now, how much more clearly can you put it than that?!?! ;-)[/quote]

We used to live in the DFW area back about 15 years ago - before the Texas Music thing was even a thing. There was an indy radio station (somewhere around 88 or 89 FM) that had the “Super Roper Redneck Review” every Friday afternoon.

There’s a new singer out who my daughter and her best friend are going ape shit over - The Casey Donahew Band.

Our little community has hosted Texas’ richest amateur rodeo for the last 2 years in a row. This year we have already booked the Casey Donahew Band to play dance after the Saturday night performance this coming August.

I have taken a liking to Dale Watson. He does country like it should be done. Pure old school (even has a trombone in the band). Whiskey or God is great (wrote it while in a mental asylum). Cheatin’ Heart Attack is also good (Nashville Rash and Cheatin’ Heart Attack).

http://www.dalewatson.com/news.htm

Dwight Yoakam is also a favorite. He could sing a cookbook and it would sound pretty damn good.

My GF turned me on to BR549. She is into alt country big time and refers to it “Blackgrass”. I think their “Dog Days” album is pretty damned good. Bonus points if you know where the name comes from (no google).

Finally, I would urge you to check out Jason Boland and the Stragglers. Love them. Hope to head to Texas to see them next summer.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
I have taken a liking to Dale Watson. He does country like it should be done. Whiskey or God is great (wrote it while in a mental asylum). Cheatin’ Heart Attack is also good.

Dwight Yoakam is also a favorite. He could sing a cookbook and it would sound pretty damn good.

My GF turned me on to BR549. She is into alt country and calls it “Blackgrass”. I think it is pretty damned good. Bonus points if you know where the name comes from (no google).[/quote]

It was the phone number Junior Samples (I think that was his last name) used to give when he was selling used cars on Hee Haw.

Greatest male vocalists…

This is a tough one for me because there is lots of competition here…

I think that George Jones and Waylon Jennings are both close and Johnny Paycheck is right there with them. I karaoke sometimes and man… the stuff that those guys do with their voice is just daunting. Merle Haggard is also high up there too. Johnny Cash, Hank Sr. damn so many good ones…

As for females… I think that it is a toss up between Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette. In fact, those duets that Tammy Wynette and George Jones did were arguably the best in all of country music. When I first heard Golden Ring I couldn’t play it enough.

If were were doing songwriters than I think that Waylon Jennings and David Allen Coe are probably the best. David Allen Coe is a really underrated artist in my opinion too.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
I have taken a liking to Dale Watson. He does country like it should be done. Pure old school (even has a trombone in the band). Whiskey or God is great (wrote it while in a mental asylum). Cheatin’ Heart Attack is also good (Nashville Rash and Cheatin’ Heart Attack).

http://www.dalewatson.com/news.htm

My GF turned me on to BR549. She is into alt country big time and refers to it “Blackgrass”. I think their “Dog Days” album is pretty damned good. Bonus points if you know where the name comes from (no google).

Finally, I would urge you to check out Jason Boland and the Stragglers. Love them. Hope to head to Texas to see them next summer.

http://www.thestragglers.com/ [/quote]

Have you ever heard of Ray Scott?

A catchy cover here by Br459:

[quote]phil_leotardo wrote:
Greatest male vocalists…

This is a tough one for me because there is lots of competition here…

I think that George Jones and Waylon Jennings are both close and Johnny Paycheck is right there with them. I karaoke sometimes and man… the stuff that those guys do with their voice is just daunting. Merle Haggard is also high up there too. Johnny Cash, Hank Sr. damn so many good ones…

As for females… I think that it is a toss up between Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette. In fact, those duets that Tammy Wynette and George Jones did were arguably the best in all of country music. When I first heard Golden Ring I couldn’t play it enough.

If were were doing songwriters than I think that Waylon Jennings and David Allen Coe are probably the best. David Allen Coe is a really underrated artist in my opinion too.[/quote]

Loretta Lynn would not even make my top 500 list of Female vocalists. She was far better at writing than she ever was at singing.

I hate Tammy Wynette. Always have. Always will.

Best vocalist based purely on ability to sing? Patsy Cline, Dolly, and - God help me - Reba. Not the new actress Reba, but the old rodeo Reba. Man, she could sing.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Best vocalist based purely on ability to sing? Patsy Cline, Dolly, and - God help me - Reba. Not the new actress Reba, but the old rodeo Reba. Man, she could sing.
[/quote]

Really? Reba? Man that woman’s singing makes me cringe. She is way too “yodelly” for me (if that makes sense).

Now Patsy Cline has got it going on. That voice is one in a million.