Counting Weekly Calories

If you calculate that you need 2000 calories daily/14,000 cal weekly to lose fat can you split them as you please. Assuming you are eating enough to get through your workouts could you eat 1,000 calories mon-friday and 4500 sat-sun or would there be a point where eating to many calories in a day especially carbs may do damage?

That’s more or less what I did to lose fat. I’m going to try it again starting this week to gain weight.

for me:
200 grams protein/day
a set limit on carbs, and a set limit on fat - reach that throughout the week

it gives me a self-regulating form of carb cycling, as well as even better flexibility in dieting

1,000 calories is a starvation diet and although there would be a feast on the weekend, I highly doubt anyone is going to think and work or perform properly or grow optimally while being on a starvation diet for more than half the week for weeks on end even if they indulged on weekends.

I’m not saying this in a dick way at all, nor am I concerned with what some other guy’s nutritional experimentation. But it just seems that these propositions are odd. I mean, who is going to do this sort of stuff? Why would someone use (or perhaps waste) their time with such stuff if there is a far more reliable way of doing things, a way that has been shown to get results time and time again?

It reminds me of IIFYM experiments taken to the extreme. “If I eat just the right amount of pork rinds and sugar and take a multi-vitamin will I be straight?”

The approach you describe also creates a hassle. Sure, on a cutting diet, for most people, they can’t just unduly keep decreasing calories with no refeed or high carb/calorie day; so that’s why a weekly review of caloric intake would be of benefit. But the approach you provide is extreme, and as I said, for 5 days of the week is providing a starvation diet, really not what someone who wants to grow and perform and think straight should be doing. I’m not one for musclehead cliches but that is not an “anabolic state”.

I’m not educated on it, but I THINK Scott Abel’s Cycle Diet involves something LIKE what you say here. So is the Rapid Fat Loss Diet, which I used years ago and made a thread about in the nutrition section which spawned RFL 2.0 to RFL 4.0 threads. If you are left with 1000 calories per day, nearly the entire diet will be protein. If I recall correctly, my daily intake on RFL was 1,200 to 1,300 calories per day. Ever try getting through life, let alone workouts, with that? The diet DOES WORK, but it was a miserable experience and all those close to me who used it had success but said they don’t think they could ever do it again.

Are you going to try this?

yeah sorry Brick/OP, 1000 - 4500 seems like a huge range

Right now I have been eating somewhat instinctively, but I want to try a more disciplined bulk approach. For me I think it’ll work well, as I start the “week” on Monday and eat more or less the same diet on the weekdays, adjusting for training volume (training isn’t fixed) if I feel flat, I eat more carbs that day. On weekends I’m usually training and eating more, so it’s nice to have more calories then. I also like it mentally in the sense that I don’t have exact fat/carb macros to hit every single day.

cons I see are:
-could be annoying to track on a weekly basis
-can set you up for failure if you cheat early on in the week
-can set you up for failure if you starve during the week just to binge on the weekends

yeah sorry Brick/OP, 1000 - 4500 seems like a huge range

Right now I have been eating somewhat instinctively, but I want to try a more disciplined bulk approach. For me I think it’ll work well, as I start the “week” on Monday and eat more or less the same diet on the weekdays, adjusting for training volume (training isn’t fixed) if I feel flat, I eat more carbs that day. On weekends I’m usually training and eating more, so it’s nice to have more calories then. I also like it mentally in the sense that I don’t have exact fat/carb macros to hit every single day.

cons I see are:
-could be annoying to track on a weekly basis
-can set you up for failure if you cheat early on in the week
-can set you up for failure if you starve during the week just to binge on the weekends

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
If you calculate that you need 2000 calories daily/14,000 cal weekly to lose fat can you split them as you please. Assuming you are eating enough to get through your workouts could you eat 1,000 calories mon-friday and 4500 sat-sun or would there be a point where eating to many calories in a day especially carbs may do damage?[/quote]

Trust me, you don’t want to do that youll be miserable. Just split it equally and if you feel like you need it then have a cheat meal a week as long as you’re still losing fat.

I knew people would lock into those numbers. I chose 1000 calories to make it easier. Obviously you should eat more which is why I said as long as you eat enough to get through your workouts (I meant training hard). Perhaps my example was extreme but, what I was trying to ask was how important is it to get a similar range of daily calories through out the week. Using the 14,000 calories a week example could you eat 2000cal one day then 3000 then 1000 back to 4000 as long as you got to the weekly total?

I think it would make it easier for people with busy schedules to make up calories instead of having to chug shakes in the office bathroom or eat chicken during breaks. As for myself I use something similar but, more in terms of total carbs. I keep carbs lowish and only around training then carb up on weekends. I do this because it may sound weak but, once I eat a certain amount of carbs I lose control and stuff my face.

Also brick I just finished RFL last week CAT1 and for me it was extremley easy. I don’t drink coffee and it was my first time using HOT-ROX so, that could have been a huge help.

I would never go beyond a 300-400kcal deficit per day. If even that. Clean diet along with some menial activity produces a nice steady decline in body fat.

Also brick I just finished RFL last week CAT1 and for me it was extremley easy. I don’t drink coffee and it was my first time using HOT-ROX so, that could have been a huge help.[/quote]

I did RFL full bore twice. I think the first I did it, I lasted four weeks, and the second time 5 weeks. I was driven to nicotine gum and cigarettes the second time, completely out of my mind.

I knew people would lock into those numbers. I chose 1000 calories to make it easier. Obviously you should eat more which is why I said as long as you eat enough to get through your workouts (I meant training hard). Perhaps my example was extreme but, what I was trying to ask was how important is it to get a similar range of daily calories through out the week. Using the 14,000 calories a week example could you eat 2000cal one day then 3000 then 1000 back to 4000 as long as you got to the weekly total?

[/quote]

Intuitively I don’t think it’s a good idea, because, I THINK–I don’t know–there is something such as a growth mode and this only achieved when you take in sufficient nutrition over and over again on a daily basis. Casey Butt explained this somewhere on the net better than I can.

Controlled carb/calorie rotation is different than what you speak of, I THINK.