Counting The Bar?

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
wings_931 wrote:
Thanks for the response - you seem to be one of the only people around here who has their head screwed on at all!

This coming from someone who though the bar acted as a counterweight.

Nobody gave you incorrect info, and yes, some fun-poking was required because it was kind of a stupid question.[/quote]

I dont like poking of any kind! unless its me poking me missus!

Seriously thanks guys…even if you did poke me…

Lol, of course you count it. And future refernece, you count every bar as 45 pounds. Curl bars, cambered bars, thick bars, trap bars. Every bar weighs 45 pounds.

Real men don’t use barbells. We just pick up a stack of 45 pound plates, hoist them onto our backs and go to work. Bars are for sissies.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Hahaha!! If you lift it, you count it. It’s really that simple.

Whoa, you lost me! I only count it if I lift it? Can I at least add a few reps together to give me a higher number? I was really hoping to break a 1000lbs squat this weekend by squatting 250lbs 4 times. :)[/quote]

Wise in the ways of the smartass, you are.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

Whoa, you lost me! I only count it if I lift it? Can I at least add a few reps together to give me a higher number? I was really hoping to break a 1000lbs squat this weekend by squatting 250lbs 4 times. :)[/quote]

Just quarter-squat 250 lbs. That’s equivalent to full-squatting 1000 lbs, right?

[quote]wings_931 wrote:
When you lift do you count the weight of the bar in on any of your lifts?
[/quote]
Yes, I do.

Interesting. I use a different definition for ‘counterweight’.

[quote]
Do you include the bar on your numbers? and if so - how much does the bar YOU use weigh?[/quote]
barbell: 45 pounds. ~20kg
ez curl bar: 20 pounds ~9kg

I don’t write down the “total” weight on hammer strengths or other plate loaded machines. I just keep track of the weight I add. Really keeping track of the weight you add to a bar is fine. As long as you know the bar weight you can always figure out the total weight you used… if it matters.

The stupidity on these forums grows daily.

When did this become idiot-nation?

Honestly. Why would you worry about counter-weight or whether to count the bar? Pick the damn thing up. Do it over and over again. Eat a lot. Add more plates, repeat. Then youll grow.

Im suspecting that youre either a troll or a 7th grader. Either way, stop dumbing up my internet and leave.

…Urgh, this literally could have been answered in one response. Yes you do, its obvious…

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

Whoa, you lost me! I only count it if I lift it? Can I at least add a few reps together to give me a higher number? I was really hoping to break a 1000lbs squat this weekend by squatting 250lbs 4 times. :slight_smile:

Just quarter-squat 250 lbs. That’s equivalent to full-squatting 1000 lbs, right?[/quote]

Dude, you just sent my total through the roof!

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

Whoa, you lost me! I only count it if I lift it? Can I at least add a few reps together to give me a higher number? I was really hoping to break a 1000lbs squat this weekend by squatting 250lbs 4 times. :slight_smile:

Wise in the ways of the smartass, you are.[/quote]

I just think to myself, “What would Zap say?”

…and then try to write something funny instead.

get out of the smith machine

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

[/quote]

And usually fail.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

And usually do.[/quote]

Thanks Zap, very kind of you.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Thanks Zap, very kind of you.[/quote]

No problem :wink:

i never count the bar, not because “you don’t lift” it…but because no matter what i do, i always have to lift it and there’s no way around that…it also helps to keep my numbers more even and quicker to write down…now, if at any time i had to use a smaller bar, than i would concider that and adjust…other wise i don’t worry about it…

funny thing, i’ve even heard people count the machines as part of their weight…adding 45 lbs to their total weight…

[b]now here’s my question to those that do count it, when doing cable work…such as curls, do you count that bar?..what about lat pulldowns? that long bar’s gotta weight at least 10 pounds…and if not, why not?..aren’t you moving that weight too?

[center][photo]4672[/photo]

I wonder if the OP is referring specifically to the bar in a Smith Machine?

Our Smith Machine at the Y (sorry, don’t know the brand) DOES use a counterweight; I don’t know what the bar weighs, but I can push it up with my index finger. I’m pretty sure I can’t do that with any other bar in the gym.

[quote]tora no’ shi wrote:
i never count the bar, not because “you don’t lift” it…but because no matter what i do, i always have to lift it and there’s no way around that…it also helps to keep my numbers more even and quicker to write down…now, if at any time i had to use a smaller bar, than i would concider that and adjust…other wise i don’t worry about it…

funny thing, i’ve even heard people count the machines as part of their weight…adding 45 lbs to their total weight…

now here’s my question to those that do count it, when doing cable work…such as curls, do you count that bar?..what about lat pulldowns? that long bar’s gotta weight at least 10 pounds…and if not, why not?..aren’t you moving that weight too?

[/quote]

Most people not trying to impress anyone simply count plates unless they are involved in a powerlifting meet, and that is simply for their own tracking of progress. I never even used the term, “405lbs” until I first explained it to someone else who wasn’t involved in my training at all. Other than that, it was simple, “4 plates a side”.

I usually base the weight I use off of my 1 rep max, so I need to count the weight of the bar or my calculations will be off.

exactly the way i feel…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most people not trying to impress anyone simply count plates unless they are involved in a powerlifting meet, and that is simply for their own tracking of progress. I never even used the term, “405lbs” until I first explained it to someone else who wasn’t involved in my training at all. Other than that, it was simple, “4 plates a side”.[/quote]

This thread is definitely already spent.

But to beat it to death even further with a a quick physics lesson:

An evenly distributed weight can be considered to act at its center of gravity. That’s the middle of the bar.

Two equal weights a certain distance apart act at a center of gravity at their midpoint. That’s the middle of the bar.

Thus “evenly distributed” or not doesn’t matter whatsoever. All of the weight of bar+weights is acting at the CG. If it wasn’t, you’d have a big problem on your hands…

Count whatever you want, in whatever manner you see fit, but as far as your body is concerned, the above is what you’re moving.