T Nation

Counting Reps on Side Bends

for exercises like abs. i was doing side bends with dbs.

would it be 1 rep, when you go to the left then to the right and come back where u started?

the same with lunges, you have 2 legs, so you do your left, then right and thats 1 rep right?

just wondering, ive been doing that and i want to know if thats 1 rep

Yup, you’re right.

Yes. Thats one rep. Just like if you were doing alternate DB curls or shoulder presses or any type of alternating exercise.

Its side bends… just do it till it burns. Why not just do X amount on one side then repeat on opposite side.

But would be the same as lunges, alternating curls.

[quote]xiao wrote:
for exercises like abs. i was doing side bends with dbs.

would it be 1 rep, when you go to the left then to the right and come back where u started?[/quote]

Not to overanalyze the technique of a side bend, but if you’re holding a dumbbell in each hand, you’ll probably end up doing a rep to one side, and then a rep to the other. That would be “one”. Let’s say you’re aiming to do 2x4. It would be something like “left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right. Rest. Repeat.”

If you’re holding one dumbbell, you’d do all your reps to that side, and then switch hands.

Pretty much, yeah. Again, you can either do all reps for one leg and then shoot for the same number on the other side, or you can alternate legs each rep (one right, one left, one right, one left.)

I generally find that, for things like lunges and step-ups, alternating sides is a little better for strength (giving each side a mini-rest between reps) and doing the same side all at once lends itself more towards hypertrophy (keeping a more constant tension).

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
Its side bends… just do it till it burns. Why not just do X amount on one side then repeat on opposite side.[/quote]

Because even though some people don’t count reps for abs (or forearms, or calves), you wouldn’t even think of not counting reps for any other bodyparts… because it doesn’t make any sense (as a primary training method. For a “shock technique”, maybe, but that’s not what we’re talking about here). “I’ll just squat until it burns. I’ll jump on the pulldown and rep until I’m bored.”

How can you apply progressive overload if you don’t pay attention to how much overload you’re applying in the first place?

Also, whenever we’re dealing with a unilateral exercise (resistance applied to one side of the body, or the work being done by one limb/side of the body), it helps to know how much (if any) strength discrepancy there is, so we can address it to prevent injuries and maximize total body strength in the long run.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Not to overanalyze the technique of a side bend, but if you’re holding a dumbbell in each hand, you’ll probably end up doing a rep to one side, and then a rep to the other. That would be “one”. Let’s say you’re aiming to do 2x4. It would be something like “left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right. Rest. Repeat.”

[/quote]

Wouldn’t having two dumbbells defeat the purpose of side bends? The weights cancels each other out.
It’s much harder to do it one side at a time I think.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Wouldn’t having two dumbbells defeat the purpose of side bends? The weights cancels each other out.
It’s much harder to do it one side at a time I think.[/quote]

You obviously have no idea what a standing side bend is. Pavel made this one popular, take two seperate weights, hold em overhead, hold your breath and lean to one side. Try it, THEN post a comment like this…

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

You obviously have no idea what a standing side bend is. Pavel made this one popular, take two seperate weights, hold em overhead, hold your breath and lean to one side. Try it, THEN post a comment like this…
[/quote]

AKA saxon side bends

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

[/quote]

Where in this thread was the mention of an overhead side bend? Oh that’s right, NOWHERE. Read the thread, THEN post a comment like this…

Agreed.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Where in this thread was the mention of an overhead side bend? Oh that’s right, NOWHERE. Read the thread, THEN post a comment like this…[/quote]

You ever hear of “Occam’s razor”? Obviously not, if you say something as ignorant as this…

Generally, if someone says “side bend”, one would think of the LEAST COMPLICATED version (aka NO EQUIPMENT) as opposed to driving to your gym to watch your pitiful weak ass doing it on some overpriced chair to support your ego.

[quote]Nyral wrote:
rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Where in this thread was the mention of an overhead side bend? Oh that’s right, NOWHERE. Read the thread, THEN post a comment like this…[/quote]

This. Why the hell would you instantly think overhead side bends? They don’t sound that practical either, unless you do a lot of bent pressing and need to strengthen that movement.

[quote]rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
rholdnr wrote:
Nyral wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

Where in this thread was the mention of an overhead side bend? Oh that’s right, NOWHERE. Read the thread, THEN post a comment like this…

You ever hear of “Occam’s razor”? Obviously not, if you say something as ignorant as this…

Generally, if someone says “side bend”, one would think of the LEAST COMPLICATED version (aka NO EQUIPMENT) as opposed to driving to your gym to watch your pitiful weak ass doing it on some overpriced chair to support your ego.[/quote]

I’ve seen people do side bends with weights at the sides. Not saying that it’s better or anything, I’m just saying it’s something I’ve seen in the past and maybe that’s where Nyral’s comment came from?

Daaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnn. Exactly what exercise are we talking about here (not that it’s relevant to the OP’s question)?

My interpretation is a standard dumbell side bend, take 1 dumbell, hold it at your side. Bend at the waist, to the side you are holding the dumbell till the dumbell reaches the knee then straighten out. Isn’t that what everyone means when they type side bend? Surely anything else would be qualified with an extra statement “overhead”, “seated”, “machine” etc. How can there really be a discussion here on what a bloody side bend is. Damn.

Why do people do side bends? It seems as if they’d only thicken the midsection. They cant be a great oblique movement either since the obliques wrap around the torso, they don’t attach completely vertical. Twisting movements would be better oblique exercises, no?. Not that I’m suggesting direct oblique training in the first place.

So yea, what is the purpose of a side bend? And to those doing them, what is your waist circumference (not pants size)?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Why do people do side bends?
[/quote]

Because they read in Men’s Health that it was a good thing to do?

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Why do people do side bends?

Because they read in Men’s Health that it was a good thing to do?[/quote]

Yeah probably.

BTW it was not my intention to sound like I am patronizing those that do side bends. I genuinely want to know what the thought process is behind them. I guess I should have left my opinion out until a few responses showed up. Oh well.

I do them to strengthen my core. I go as heavy as I can.

[quote]leaftye wrote:
I do them to strengthen my core. I go as heavy as I can.[/quote]

Ohhh right. That ever elusive core strength. Gotcha.

It’s a supplemental exercise I do on my “free” day. Gotta problem with that?