T Nation

Counting Nutrition Properly for Cutting

Anyway It’s another day, i get up so i would like to post this quickly.

How do i keep track of my 40:30:30 calorie ratio.

I eat 1800 calories another day and here is what i ate today( without actually counting gram for gram of my nutrient ratio)

5:10: Oatflaxpumkinseed cereal (nature’s path) with a cup of oat milk and a protein shake with water.(400 cals)

8:10: 25 gm pumpernickel with a tablespoon of honey and tablespoon of nut butter(200 cals)

9:00 A glass of whole milk(school doesn’t have any damned skim!) (150 cals)

12:00 They had burgers so i bought two of them and threw away the bun and ate the filling(no cheese) (500 cals)

15:00 A can of tuna (100 cals)

17:00 a bunch of spinach with 4 tablespoons of cream cheese.(300 cals)

19:00 2 scoop of protein powder with water(120 cals)

I know it might suck but please don’t insult me and give me tips on how to track nutrient ratio.

According to that giant BIA at the gym i have lost .3 kilos of muscle(which the trainer says is support muscle for my bones and is useless) and am at 24.5% fat but according to my tape measurement(i do not squeeze it and try to measure it with as little bias as possible and overestimate on purpose) i have gained .5 kilo muscle and am at 21.5% body fat.

Oh and btw, my name is a joke on the name confucius and is prounounced kung-foo-shish
not kung-fo-swish

BTW please if i’m wrong don’t scream at me with rage, just correct me because this is only one day.

And when it comes time to bulk i am very afraid i will look like the failed bulk guy.

But for now i am try to get 1x bodyweight strong, yes i am that sucky. My trainers adds 5 lbs every two weeks but he often adds it a week early and helps me only when i really need it( my arms burn so i know i’m doing max effort.)

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:
I know it might suck but please don’t insult me and give me tips on how to track nutrient ratio.[/quote]

Your nutrient ratio doesn’t matter since there’s no magic to a 40:30:30 diet.

It’s more important to make sure your total calories and protein are where they need to be to lose fat and maintain lean tissue.

Yeah, figuring out your macro ratio will be something you will have to learn by trial and error. 40:30:30 might be suited to your needs or it may not. Like HK said, most important is tracking your calories. I didn’t add anything but I just wanted to give support to what he said.

The only way to accurately count calories is to weigh all of the food you eat (using a food scale - for example http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE?gclid=COTejvKi1J8CFSgtawodimOcaQ ) and use a good database to look everything up (there are tons of them out there - here’s one for example: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ ). It’s a real pain, but just guesstimating your calories as most people do may or may not work for you, but there are no guarantees with this method, and also the guesstimation process doesn’t provide you the accuracy of a food log that you can you back and review so you can see how your body responds to different macro ratios for your future reference. Good luck!

How do you keep track of it? By getting a thorough nutrition education. That is, learning how to calculate calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates in the diet and what appropriate food and liquid choices are.

It’s actually a lot of work for you. And it’s also a lot of work for us to do this for you, considering that dietitians charge 150 to 300 bucks for an initial 60 to 90 minute consultation.

Read more articles and learn how to do this or pay for the appropriate help.

Or find someone who wants to do this sort of stuff for free.

I can help you, but it’ll cost you money.

First things first, dont half ass it. If you half ass your nutrition you are going to get half assed results, if that.

With that being said, I track everything I eat in Microsoft Excel. I opened a spreadsheet and labeled the first tab “Reference”. Everything I eat gets its nutrient breakdown put in there (fat, carbs, pro, fiber, sugar). After it is put in the spreadsheet once, I never have to look at the back of the label again. I eat pretty much the same 15 meals or so, so after about two weeks of making a reference list, I am pretty much done. Everytime I eat something new, it gets put on the spreadsheet.

Once the reference is setup, then I open a new tab for each day and just copy and paste foods from my reference into my daily tab. Its simple. I make it so it automatically calculates my daily intake and my percentages anytime I input anything. Then, when I am ready to create a new tab for the next day, I just copy and past the template from the current day into a new tab. Once you set it up, its very very simple, just copy and paste everything.

Find out how many calories you need, split them up according to your split (40:40:30), remembering that fat has 9 cals/gram as to carbs and protein which have 4 cals/gram.

Once you have those mass totals (XXX grams of fat, XXX grams of carbs, XXX grams of pro) for the day, divide them by 6.

Next, eat meals that meet those needs 6 times a day.

Pretty simple.

[quote]smithers584 wrote:
First things first, dont half ass it. If you half ass your nutrition you are going to get half assed results, if that.

With that being said, I track everything I eat in Microsoft Excel. I opened a spreadsheet and labeled the first tab “Reference”. Everything I eat gets its nutrient breakdown put in there (fat, carbs, pro, fiber, sugar). After it is put in the spreadsheet once, I never have to look at the back of the label again. I eat pretty much the same 15 meals or so, so after about two weeks of making a reference list, I am pretty much done. Everytime I eat something new, it gets put on the spreadsheet.

Once the reference is setup, then I open a new tab for each day and just copy and paste foods from my reference into my daily tab. Its simple. I make it so it automatically calculates my daily intake and my percentages anytime I input anything. Then, when I am ready to create a new tab for the next day, I just copy and past the template from the current day into a new tab. Once you set it up, its very very simple, just copy and paste everything.

Find out how many calories you need, split them up according to your split (40:40:30), remembering that fat has 9 cals/gram as to carbs and protein which have 4 cals/gram.

Once you have those mass totals (XXX grams of fat, XXX grams of carbs, XXX grams of pro) for the day, divide them by 6.

Next, eat meals that meet those needs 6 times a day.

Pretty simple.[/quote]

Great post!

Read these articles, if you have questions at the end, read them again. If you are truely a newbie to nutrition, read these everyday for like a week, it will all set in.

Nutrition for Newbies Part 1

Nutrition for Newbies Part 2