T Nation

Counting Carbs for Food Log

I decided to start keeping a food log this weekend, it’s hard work and a bit of an eyeopener o.O

I seem to remember reading here that one does not need to count carbs/calories from certain vegetables. Is there a rule I can follow?

For example, for lunch today I’m making a small portion of soup with about a quarter of a large carrot and about an 8th of a small head of cabbage and 50g of lean pork sausage. I looked up the nutritional values for the carrot and the cabbage, and it’s pretty much all carbs as far as macros go. I also had half a cup of broccoli with my gyoza last night, do I count that?

Any other tips as far as food logs go, I’m all ears. So far mine goes like this:

• name of food // amount // calories // carbs (g) // protein (g) // fat (g)

For each day I add up the numbers and get the % of each macronutrient. I log everything except my unsweetened tea, and zero cal spices.

Thanks in advance.

some vegetables (carrots in particular) tend to be more carby then others. people often ignore broccoli and spinach type veggies since the carbs are mostly fiber. and odds are you will save yourself a lot of miscalculations and time by keeping your foodlog on www.fitday.com. it totals everything up for you.

Cheers. I looked at fitday and it was mostly a bunch of Google Ads, too annoying for me. I’m using some freeware software instead, no ads or flashy things.

[quote]okaz wrote:
Cheers. I looked at fitday and it was mostly a bunch of Google Ads, too annoying for me. I’m using some freeware software instead, no ads or flashy things.[/quote]

I use calorie king which may be similar to the program you are using. It making things a lot easier since it contains most common foods and chain restaurants near me.

PeterD

Some of the T-Nation contributors suggest that you do not need to count the carbs from green veggies (i.e., lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, green beans, celery, broccoli) because of high fiber content. Peas apparently are an exception – higher sugar content – so carbs from peas count against you.

My diet was so bad when I started – I decided that pretty much all veggies would be free – except for the obviously high carb potoates and corn. That’s my take on a good idea.

Now I regularly eat: lettuce, spinach, green beans, celery, broccoli, carrots, green peppers and tomatoes (tomatoes arguably fall into the high-carb veggies too – but I like them too much to give up). I try to go easy on the tomatoes.