T Nation

Counterintuitive Stimulant Use?

I seem to be finding that I’m putting on some midsection fat with a strong correlation to my heaviest use of stimulants - caffeine, synephrine, ephedrine, etc.

I’m wondering if it’s cortisol related. Do any of you guys have similar experiences? Any ways to resolve this? I used to get “caffeine anxiety” but not anymore - possibly still effects present?

What’s your diet?

-dizzle

Outside of diet and exercise, if you’re using them everyday and a decent amount, chances are that cortisol would be causing it. You might want to lay off the stimulants for a while as you can mess up adrenergic receptors. Sounds as if you might have those effects a little already.

But also, it’d be nice to know diet and exercise habits.

Diet hasn’t been changing - fairly constant calories throughout the process, although possibly slight modifications in exercise outside of scheduled training - the initial burst of caffeine was studying for finals etc.

Diet is probably 2500-3000 Kcal daily, 30C/40P/30F. Probably around 200-250 total CHO daily, protein and fat fluctuating to make up the rest.

I read one of LL’s pieces earlier about caffeine, carbs, and cortisol that I’ve been thinking about- In the past, I found the same result and used caffeine almost exclusively on low-carb days. However, now that I’m taking it every day it’s often on higher carb days.

If you’re saying “probably” 2500-3000 kcal/daily, then I think it’s time to keep a food log.

You might be surprised at how much you’re really eating, which in turn could be your problem.

Keep a log of every single thing you eat for a few days or even a week or so, that way you can assess where you’re at.

-dizzle

Food intake has been constant, so calories are irrelevant. The one variable that seems to be changing is caffeine usage. I’m reasonably confident I’m not overeating, and I keep a food log.