Count the Bar When Talking Weight?

As the topic suggests, do you count the bar in with the overall weight???
say if you got a 45lb bar thats alot of weight to discount and surely that
weight you are technically lifting

yah

thats good then, now i gotta find out how heavy the bars at my gym are, ive only
just started there. is there a standard i.e should the all weigh the same across
all gyms??? im talking the thick bars you use for squats/deads

Standard olympic bars (with the “fat” ends where you put the weights on) are ~45lbs or 20Kg.

Ask a gym employee if you’re using some non-olympic bar.

This question always amazes me it’s hardly a new question which amazes me still (except coming from children who are exempt from my amazement).

Why would anyone not count the weight of the bar? When you ship a package do you not count the weight of the crate? If not the postal service owes me a heap of money over the years.

When you lift the weight ie barbell, dumbbell are you not lifting it as a whole? I mean you are pulling the plates off and lifting them then putting them back on the bar as a holder right?

How does the average adult come up with a question like this? I don’t mean to be overly harsh but seriously speaking why in the case of lifting a olymipic bar the standard bar in most real gyms would you negate an entire 45lbs?

ANd while I’m on my rant the only thing I find more mindnumbing is when I go to a gym I havent trained at and ask the staff what the sled on the leg press weighs or what the counterbalance on the smith machine is and they look at me as if I asked them the meaning of life. It is weight people you lift it it is part of the equation it is important. How do you work at or own a gym and don’t know basic info on the equipment? For instance we have two differant smith style machines at my gym each one counterbalances differant 23-27lbs respectfully while the gym up the rd counters at 15lbs leg presses as well run the gamut 60lbs to over 100lbs.

There I go expecting to much again I guess.

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:
This question always amazes me it’s hardly a new question which amazes me still (except coming from children who are exempt from my amazement).

Why would anyone not count the weight of the bar? When you ship a package do you not count the weight of the crate? If not the postal service owes me a heap of money over the years.

When you lift the weight ie barbell, dumbbell are you not lifting it as a whole? I mean you are pulling the plates off and lifting them then putting them back on the bar as a holder right?

How does the average adult come up with a question like this? I don’t mean to be overly harsh but seriously speaking why in the case of lifting a olymipic bar the standard bar in most real gyms would you negate an entire 45lbs?

ANd while I’m on my rant the only thing I find more mindnumbing is when I go to a gym I havent trained at and ask the staff what the sled on the leg press weighs or what the counterbalance on the smith machine is and they look at me as if I asked them the meaning of life. It is weight people you lift it it is part of the equation it is important. How do you work at or own a gym and don’t know basic info on the equipment? For instance we have two differant smith style machines at my gym each one counterbalances differant 23-27lbs respectfully while the gym up the rd counters at 15lbs leg presses as well run the gamut 60lbs to over 100lbs.

There I go expecting to much again I guess.[/quote]

Do you count your bodyweight when doing squats or pull-ups? I mean, it is weight you are lifting-- so it is important to the equation.(sarcasm)

Come on man, you can’t forget that you were a beginner once too, give the guy a break. He could be training all by himself and may not have any other source to ask questions.

Now, the staff not knowing the weight of their equipment, I’m with you on that rant :slight_smile:

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:

There I go expecting to much again I guess.[/quote]

Sooo you’re actually counting in the “weight” of the ghey-ass smith machine apparatus? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz… The sled you can argue about but in the end, it doesn’t fucking matter, since you should always test your working weight when trying a new machine.

[quote]Evolv wrote:

Do you count your bodyweight when doing squats or pull-ups? I mean, it is weight you are lifting-- so it is important to the equation.(sarcasm)

Come on man, you can’t forget that you were a beginner once too, give the guy a break. He could be training all by himself and may not have any other source to ask questions.

Now, the staff not knowing the weight of their equipment, I’m with you on that rant :)[/quote]

Being a beginner has nothing to do with common sense nor does training by one’s self and still amazes me unless you are a child but an adult who asks this question wants to be spoon fed and not put any brain power of their own into this.

Simply pointing out that anyone who asks this type of question obviously has not put any level of thought into it past the “Gee whatta I do stage” lends to exactly what one of the major problems with basic training is people simply don’t think two 45lb plates and a 45lb bar is 135lbs cold not 90lbs so wether or not you think that is an issue I assure you to the person about to lift it it is especially when a beginner. If any thing the failsafe would be to assume you count the bars weight as this will help keep you safe. ie’ same lijne of thinking as assume the gun is always loaded.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

Sooo you’re actually counting in the “weight” of the ghey-ass smith machine apparatus? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz… The sled you can argue about but in the end, it doesn’t fucking matter, since you should always test your working weight when trying a new machine.[/quote]

It is always typical and a dead give away of someone who is trying to apear alpha that everything they hear in the broscience room or the meathead locker is Ghey. But hear is a news flash for all wannabes and begginners while the smith maching is not the end all to training it is a efficient tool to be utilized during somepoint in your bodybuilding journey either for a specific effect or to train a round a injury or to lend focus to a muscle group etc.

So lets cut the santimonious bullshit calling things gay Dorian used the SMith Machine as Markus Rhul are they gay? by all means strut you misinformed machismp into one of their gyms and sling that gay assed phrasing around I want to hear that story.

Secondly I wasn’t implying any percentage of usage by mentioning the smith mach only using an example of the variables and yes it does matter what the weight diferential is on anything you lift if you dont think so by all means wise one go load up something you havent used before and roll the dice injuries arent inevetibly sure to follow I’ve been lifting for the better part of 25 years and have never had any training related injuries ever that doesn’t come from being a jack wad.

For you to single out and focus on one mach mentioned in a example of how variable come into play is juvenile would you say if a woman was using the smith and needed to know the differential it was lesbionic? You have no freaking idea why at the time I was inquiring about the offset you only want to show your ass and superior training knowledge which you obviously dont have.

P.S. I liked the way you through in how it doesn’t fucking matter cause you should always test your starting weight. That sounds like expert speak to me! Bwahahaha Please!!!

First in the grand scheme of things it is true that is is more important on the relative stress the muscle is under than the actual weight the majority of people on here or anywhere else have no idea what that even means, leg sleds vary in relationship to angle the bearings used in construction size etc. a 60 lb sled can weigh 70% less with variables so it matter to those of us who actually detail what we do or who train clients and are looking for specific parameters to make a blanket staement again based off of my referance to the importance of knowing how much the sled weighs speaks volume to the fact you just like shit to get pissed at and and high horses to climb on not your actual knowledge of training.

And for the record count the damn bar when you load it 45lbs is not a give or take weight a couple of pound sure a few pounds maybe but 45lbs you don’t know you should count 45lbs?

[quote]Evolv wrote:

Now, the staff not knowing the weight of their equipment, I’m with you on that rant :)[/quote]

No I don’t get the sarcasm and it doesn’t fit hear we are talking about progressive resistance loading as applies to barbells ie do you cout the bar? But because I mentioned two machine without giving a detailed account of why in that particular set of perspectives it was important a few of you have decided to eith attempt sarcasm or out right attack me which is futile but to be expected.

In actuality bodyweight and pull up strength have their particular variables in relation ship to the individual at any given time a trainee can pull their body weight for a given number of reps they are indeed lifing x amount of weight which will very in accordance with there weight over the course of time all other variables set aside so up to a point yes catalogging your given weight with a certain amount of sets and reps can be usful and telling if you weighed 165glorious ab showing pounds which most of the wannabe who think they know anything yielded 5 solid albit not overly impressive reps of pullups then after going on a “Im gonna bulk for 6mos before I cut” mistakes most undertake and you couldn’t even pull your fat ass off the ground let alone do a dead hang then yes I would say for the purpose of what the parmeter were that allowed for the success and the failures your bodyweight would definately be important so yes a percentage of your bodyweight is actual weight lifted and I fail to see how you can eek sarcasm out of that but you did succeed in being a least a bit of an ass.

As for the Squat no I don’t count my body weight when I squat nor when I train my clients but I am aware of their weight and mine throughout my training. As in the case above it lends relavence in the grand scheme of things and ads referance points for certain training conditions.

Having said that none of the above has anything to do with the original question which was do you count the bar ANSWER: YESSSSS!!! count the damn bar!

Especially a 45lb Olympic bar its 45lbs, 45 freaking lbs! In anything you do in life there comes a certain level of accountability and using foresight and common sense ranks amongst those. You are picking a barbell off a rack or the floor and you don’t know wether you should count the additional 45lbs of the bar? it’s not rocket science and if you want to argue the politicaly correct aw giv’em a break routine Listen first I wasn’t bashing and if I hurt his little feeling I’m sorry is it all better now? Grow up please but even if he was just so overwhelmed he couldn’t figure it out why wasn’t the first thought to just could the damn bar? it’s 45lbs?

What I find more amazing than this type of question being asked is that people find it amazing, I find it amazing. Well what can I tell you it’s my thought I own it I find it amazing I am sorry it hurts and wounds you so that you have to try to struggle to find something to fight about.

To the OP listen all these guys who no nothing and want to be the pretenders to thrown love to fight on forums they are on every freaking forum on the net.

I understand you may be new I understand that can be a bit overwhelming all I was pointing out was it doesn’t take but a moment to take a deep breath and think period.

One last thing to all the forum warriors on here who like to take to their soap box, just because you don’t like something or because you don’t look at something the same way, or for that matter you think the truth is harsh.

Wether it is harsh or not the truth still remains the same common sense says if I start with 45lbs and ad to that 45lbs I should count the original 45lbs.

And if it makes your balls feel full to call what you don’t understand or know how to implement gay have at it tons of pros out their who have proved that wrong years ago, but youre far more massive and stronger and accomplished than they are right?

u mad bro?

The immense lack of punctuation in all of those posts really hurt my head.

You definitely win all of the internet battles though.

You made my night Bodyguard.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
u mad bro?[/quote]

haha take that!

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
For you to single out and focus on one mach mentioned in a example of how variable come into play is juvenile would you say if a woman was using the smith and needed to know the differential it was lesbionic?

[/quote]

The Smith Machine is ghey, there, I said it: GHEY!! U mad, brah?

Now that you’re asking, if a woman asked me for the differential (extremely likely scenario, bruh) on the smitty I’d point out that she is now by default lesbionic and must immediately make out with another hot lesbionician. Rubbing each other’s nipples, playing with them until they get hard, blowing on 'em [pfft] [pfft] …