T Nation

Count Calories From Flameout?

I thought I read an article here on the Nation that the fat calories in Flameout shouldn’t be counted in your daily numbers.If someone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Do 40 calories REALLY matter to you that much, or are you taking 20 of these pills a day?

if it contains calories on the nutritional label, I include it in my calculations.

either way, just be consistent, either count it, or don’t, in the end either way will equal out

[quote]rsg wrote:
Do 40 calories REALLY matter to you that much, or are you taking 20 of these pills a day?[/quote]

I am either going to take the recommended 4 per day or up it to eight to promote my fat loss goal.

I thought I read somewher that the oils in Flameout are absorbed into the body and therefore don’t need to be included in the daily totals.

I take about 20 a day, and I do not count the calories.

I may be cheating on my diet. I think I’ll survive.

I count my fish oil. Then again, I take 11 caps of it, so that’s about 140 calories.

A calorie is a calorie. If you are counting calories then count it

I found the comment that made me ask. It is taken from the article “Fish Oil And Fat Loss,” by Mike Roussell. From top of the second page –

On a calorie restricted diet, what portion of calories should be allocated for “Fish Oil” as so the oxidization of fish oil for energy is minimized? (Assuming that I should allocate fish oil calories).

I don’t count calories from fish oil because most of my clients will take 1-2 serving of Flameout. The fat in that is negligible. But if you are taking in 40g of the actual fish oil then you need to account for it. Polyusaturated fat consumption has high levels has been shown to have an pro-oxidant effect.

This is why most organizations don’t recommend more than 10% of calories from polys. But 10-15% is probably fine.

Now, according to my math, two servings of Flameout contains 104 calories. Seems significant to me.

I am running the numbers for a reformulated diet. It would seem to me that since I am number crunching, I should include the Flameout calories to monitor the effects in a few weeks.

Flameout is FOOD consisting of 100% fat.

You count food right? :wink:

Flameout is fat, and contains calories, so count it if you are counting calories.

Calories are still calories, just because they are from a good sources doesn’t make them free.

[quote]Blashy wrote:

You count food right? :wink: [/quote]

Of course. :slight_smile: That is why I am a little perplexed with Mr. Roussell not including them and saying the fat in FO in negligible.

Also, I thought I read that it is oil that is absorbed into the body – like a lubricant to the joints, hence the no requirement to count the calories in FO, as it is mostly oil.

I wish Mr. Roussell would chim in. I am just trying to understand more clearly.

[quote]gnosis007 wrote:
Blashy wrote:

You count food right? :wink:

Of course. :slight_smile: That is why I am a little perplexed with Mr. Roussell not including them and saying the fat in FO in negligible.

Also, I thought I read that it is oil that is absorbed into the body – like a lubricant to the joints, hence the no requirement to count the calories in FO, as it is mostly oil.

I wish Mr. Roussell would chim in. I am just trying to understand more clearly.[/quote]

No, it does not get absorbed directly into the body. It is digested and absorbed via bile in the small intestine just like all other fat. I can’t say why he wouldn’t count the calories from them, it is still fat containing 9 kcals per gram.

this reminds me of the thread asking if you count the weight of the bar on your lifts…