T Nation

Count As Cardio?

Hey Guys, i’ve ask this several times but never really got a good answer.

Im workong on getting some abs yet I gotta lose the fat round em first. I know you gotta do cardio to lose the BF so do you think spending 4 hours in the back of a semi trailer 5 days a week loading boxes in 100+ degree heat would count as a cardio workout? I pretty much lift anywhere from 1 to 80 pounds (80-120LBS w/ 2 people) up to 9 feet high. I load bout 4-500 boxes in one hour so im constantly bending over then lefting with legs.

Or should I pursue running with my workouts. I just got a busy schedule so im trying to fit everything in.

Thanks

I would say to go ahead and count that as your cardio.

[quote]highrider wrote:
… do you think spending 4 hours in the back of a semi trailer 5 days a week loading boxes in 100+ degree heat would count as a cardio workout? … from 1 to 80 pounds… up to 9 feet high… bout 4-500 boxes in one hour…[/quote]

Um, yeah.

Interesting… I work as a Server at Rubys diner. In any given shift I spend about 3 - 4 hours walking around. I usually count that as my calories burned by cardio. It really is A LOT of walking… tip your servers well folks, we bust our asses.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Interesting… I work as a Server at Rubys diner. In any given shift I spend about 3 - 4 hours walking around. I usually count that as my calories burned by cardio. It really is A LOT of walking… tip your servers well folks, we bust our asses.[/quote]

True, true.

Thanks guys, just wasnt sure. Im trying to lose my somewhat gut here and didnt know if it’d be a overkill doing HIT or not

Does your heart rate average about 60% of your max beats per minute?

[quote]highrider wrote:

I pretty much lift anywhere from 1 to 80 pounds (80-120LBS w/ 2 people) up to 9 feet high. I load bout 4-500 boxes in one hour so im constantly bending over then lefting with legs.

[/quote]

Pansy. But yeah that should work. Is this a new job / summer job? The reason I ask: if you have already been doing this and still have fat to lose, it may not be sufficient. (Diet?) But if it is a new thing, then you’ll be fine. You should aim to load 1000 boxes per hour by the end of the summer. (j/k)

BFG

It seems like the way you’re going to lose the extra weight is through diet. I’m curious what your lifting routine is like and if you have a difficult time recovering because of all the lifting you’re doing on the job.

[quote]highrider wrote:
I load bout 4-500 boxes in one hour so im constantly bending over then lefting with legs.

[/quote]

Ahh! Keep that spine neutral! Just imagine that you’re doing a deadlift everytime you pick up a box.

You could try incorporating HIIT into your job - load boxes as fast as you can for 30 seconds, slow down for 90 seconds, repeat. If nothing else it might alleivate some of the monotony (I used to work in a warehouse myself so I know how much fun loading containers can be).

Like BFG and Axel mentioned, if you’ve been doing that job for a while, I’d suspect your diet is what is holding you back.

Good luck.

[quote]highrider wrote:
Hey Guys, i’ve ask this several times but never really got a good answer.

Im workong on getting some abs yet I gotta lose the fat round em first. I know you gotta do cardio to lose the BF so do you think spending 4 hours in the back of a semi trailer 5 days a week loading boxes in 100+ degree heat would count as a cardio workout? I pretty much lift anywhere from 1 to 80 pounds (80-120LBS w/ 2 people) up to 9 feet high. I load bout 4-500 boxes in one hour so im constantly bending over then lefting with legs.
Thanks[/quote]

I some of that for two years, although I eventually started loading trucks, and also having nighmares about Zip codes coming down a conveyer belt. Unloading is better because you dont have to think. The problem was that I couldn’t add muscle because I was really stressing my shoulder joints and back. (Plus I didn’t know how to train back then)

Also, I worked the midnight shift 10:00-3:30, then ate a dozen donuts and drank a quart of whole milk and slept for 10-11 hours.

Too bad, if I hadn’t I would probably have gotten pretty ripped back then.