T Nation

Couldn't Finish 5x5 Workout

Was I not ready, sick, or just got my ass kicked?

Up to now I’ve ramped up to a set of “5RM”. Yesterday I did the advanced version of this:

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

I’ve been doing the intermediate version. However yesterday not only was my back completely fried (previous muscle pull years ago from drunken shennanigans, may or may not have a slip disc) after 3 sets but during one I was falling forward for a rep or two.

Now this is the first time I’ve ever done this much volume and using Thibaudeau’s suggestions for warming up I feel I could of finished the sets but I was out of it from this cold.

Am I not ready for this much volume? Is my lower back/core not strong enough? Should I start using a belt?

Only YOU can answer that its YOUR body.

So decide for YOURSELF.

God help you if we all said keep going ! And you then did irrepairable damage to yourself.

See my point ?

#'s please … what are you max’s and what was the weight you were working with?

It kind of sounds like you just felt like quitting so you did. It might have something to do with the cold, but it’s hard to say w/o #'s … and were you squatting when you were falling forward (that’s what I’m assuming it was)?

I’ve never maxed which is why I started this cycle.

Previous week I worked up to a 5rm of 305 subtracting 20 pounds each subsequent set totalling 5 sets (so I started at 205).

This week was

5x225
5x255
5x300
5x300
5x300
Xx300
Xx300

Yes I fell forward as I was coming out of the hole.

Lifter gets hurt…
…lifter takes time off…
…lifter goes through PT…
…lifter continues same bad habits…
…lifter again gets hurt…

See a pattern?

Solution?

1. Don’t do unsupported back work. That means no bent-over rows, no dumbbell rows. Do chest supported dumbbell rows and chest supported T-rows instead. Just don’t arch your back during either.
  2. Form dictates load, form dictates load, form dictates load, form dictates load…got it? Don’t sacrifice good form, technique, or tempo just to get a heavier weight. Egos are for the injured.
  3. Don’t do spinal twisting motions…expecially with flexion. That means no stupid core work like woodchops.
  4. Do exercises that work on spinal/core stabilization. There are 100s of plank variations. Learn them. Do them daily. Google: Bird Dog Progresson. Learn it. Do it daily.

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:
Lifter gets hurt…
…lifter takes time off…
…lifter goes through PT…
…lifter continues same bad habits…
…lifter again gets hurt…

See a pattern?

Solution?

1. Don’t do unsupported back work. That means no bent-over rows, no dumbbell rows. Do chest supported dumbbell rows and chest supported T-rows instead. Just don’t arch your back during either.
  2. Form dictates load, form dictates load, form dictates load, form dictates load…got it? Don’t sacrifice good form, technique, or tempo just to get a heavier weight. Egos are for the injured.
  3. Don’t do spinal twisting motions…expecially with flexion. That means no stupid core work like woodchops.
  4. Do exercises that work on spinal/core stabilization. There are 100s of plank variations. Learn them. Do them daily. Google: Bird Dog Progresson. Learn it. Do it daily.[/quote]

apples oranges much?

Sounds like you started with too high a base weight.

You really needed to know what your 5RM max was before starting, either that or use a 1RM to figure it out. In general, people guess high they never guess light.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Sounds like you started with too high a base weight.

You really needed to know what your 5RM max was before starting, either that or use a 1RM to figure it out. In general, people guess high they never guess light. [/quote]

So I shouldn’t use the weight I did for a 5RM the previous week? I’ve been building that up progressively for the past few months but it was a 1x5 not a 5x5.

doh. just entered in my numbers for my last ramping workout the week prior to starting this 5x5 and I was waaaay to high…70 pounds too high. Same with the deadlift this past saturday eventhough I finished 5x5x350 some sets were sloppy toward the end and this was off by 100. I’m gonna back off till Thursday and then restart with proper weights.