Could This Be a Torn Muscle?

This past Tuesday I was deadlifting really heavy. I had done several pulls, then finally I loaded the bar with 760lb for my last heavy pull of the workout. As soon as I locked it out I felt a “pop” in my left bicep. My left arm was the one with the supinated hand ( I use an under/over grip when I deadlift). My bicep muscle did not retract like it would if it was seperated from the tendon.

The next day, I noticed a little bit of bruising, but my biceps appeared normal with the exception of the bruising and swelling. Now, three days later it doesn’t even hurt much anymore, but I’m completely unable to flex my biceps.

Sounds like a partial tear. I don’t think there’s anything you can really do for it when it’s only a partial.

Thanks for the reply.

If you’d like to do some reading and self education on that particular thing then try the book…The Sports Medicine Bible. Quality info and if you need to rehab it at all then it has protocols in there to follow.

Goodluck with any rehab you need to do on that. Not cool to have that happen to you.

Go in get scheduled for a ultra sound, MRI and other physical evals definately sounds like a Partial tear but it should be diagnosed so that you actually know how severe it is.

I know there is a predisposition on this board for what ever reason, for people to dole out medical advice and diagnosis as well as home remedies etc.

But the bottom line is it is impossible to diagnose a damn thing over the internet let alone give out a reccomendation for treatment for something that cannot be diagnosed over the internet.

Granted what you describe one could throw a good geuss at. If it were my body I would get my self to a competant medical facilty and find out exactly what I did so as to not make matters worse.

Look at it this way if your self diagnosis is wrong or your use of well meaning but missguided advice leads to more complication up to and including rupture, avulsion of the tendon or actual tear of one of the heads of the Bi’s you are gonna be down a lot longer than you would if you simply got it diagnosed and and treadted properly many times these injuries need to have the arm casted to limit movement so the tendon may heal properly’

Not worth the roll of the dice to me, I wish you the best and good luck to you.

P.S. Last year I broke my forearm and was casted for a bout 3 mos’ I was rehabbbed and back up to my regular post injury arm size (Muscle Memory) in about 30 days post cast and to day I am even stronger than before didn’t slow me down a bit it was just kind of a break my body responded like gangbusters after the lay off. So there is a upside to recovery . Hang in there it will be allright in the end.

apply the rice method take a week off drink some beers screw some bitches have dinner at ya mums drink some whisky R.I.C.E rest ice compression elevation

Thank you for the replies. I like to do as much home-remedy type things as possible. I avoid doctors and hospitals at all costs. The only thing they do in the end is prescribe some bullshit anti-inflammatory like Vioxx.

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I like to do as much home-remedy type things as possible. I avoid doctors and hospitals at all costs. The only thing they do in the end is prescribe some bullshit anti-inflammatory like Vioxx.[/quote]

Everyone likes to avoid doctors and hospitals, but if you are wise you’ll know when it is worth overriding this inclination and making sure you do NOT let something potentially serious linger…