T Nation

Could This be a Pinched Nerve?

I’m not sure that this is where this question belongs, but here goes…

When getting ready to do squats the other day, I felt a very SHARP pain originating in my right armpit and shooting outward to my elbow. It was a kind of burning/stinging pain, similar to a nasty strike to the funny bone! This pain only occurs when attempting to hold my arms back, as in the position to hold the bar across my shoulders.

If I raise my arms up, as if to flex biceps there is no pain. If I keep my fists up but begin lowering my elbows the pain re-appears. It only hurts when this is done and goes away as soon as I release the offending position.

I now have lost some sensation on the underside of my right arm in the lower tricep area. The numbness only applies to my skin, not muscle underneath. I can, however, pinch that skin as hard as I like and feel NOTHING!
Any ideas anyone??

Usually any stinging pains, or not being able to feel something, are both pretty big signs that it has to do with a nerve. Doesn’t sound too bad right now but nerve problems are not something you want to aggravate, I’d suggest taking a few days off lifting, until it feels better. If it doesn’t get better soon, get it checked out

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
Usually any stinging pains, or not being able to feel something, are both pretty big signs that it has to do with a nerve. Doesn’t sound too bad right now but nerve problems are not something you want to aggravate, I’d suggest taking a few days off lifting, until it feels better. If it doesn’t get better soon, get it checked out[/quote]

I agree.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.