Could Something Like This Program Work?

Yea, don’t understand the opinion, that trying to achieve both concurrently isn’t possible or even suboptimal. Most of us here or anywhere really will ever achieve the level of NEEDING to periodize training into specific blocks. Especially, doing this as a hobby. This isn’t far off from just about every other cookie cutter strength program, that has you training several qualities concurrently. If one were following 5/3/1, as Jim wrote to the letter, with jumps, throws and assistance, guess what.?.? You are training multiple energy systems and special strength qualities concurrently. All you are proposing, is main strength movement, with supplemental one session and assistance in a separate session. The most important thing you haven’t mentioned is your progression model. Without a solid plan of progression, you are just whacking off. I think you have too many strength movements that you are trying to improve upon in one session as well. I’m not saying not to push supplemental and assistance, but pushing 2-3 compound movements at a relatively high intensity in one session is probably going to catch up to you pretty quick. I don’t really care for the alternating focus on days 6 and 7 either, but maybe it’s just my programming OCD. Despite not seeming clean and fluid to me personally, there’s plenty, if not too much emphasis placed on stimulation and very little time dedicated to recovery. I would definitely consider using the 6th and 7th day for active recovery. Think high rep banded tricep pulldowns, facepulls, clamshells, monster walks, rolling, stretching, yoga, etc. Look into Mike Zourdos’ implementation of daily undulating periodization, weekly undulating periodization and maybe, even the cube, as what you are trying to set up is closer to that “extreme” end of the spectrum of programming. I personally, do enjoy and make more progress with WUP, than just about any other style of programming I’ve ran in the past. I would just say to focus on recovery a little more, narrow your focus on the strength lifts per session and find a solid plan of progression.

2 Likes

Agreed. Juggling being a powerlifter, an elite endurance swimmer, and a hunger-striker are conflicting goals, but I don’t see what’s so conflicting about being both big and strong.

1 Like

Exactly. I am unaware of any program that completely lacks some manipulation of variability. They all manipulate undulation of intensity, volume, movements, etc. Some, just more emphatically and frequently to your most rigid linear prog. There’s a pretty good JTS article out there, somewhere on the subject, that articulates it alot better, than I can. At 39, I’ve pretty much accepted that I will probably never be an elite anything (other than asshole, maybe) lol, but like you said, goal specific, without a doubt focus should be narrowed, closer to competition imo, but in reality, very few sports are reliant solely on one energy system anyways.

2 Likes

What are your main goals in training? How old are you, how much do you weigh, how long have you been training, and what are your numbers on the main lifts you wish to get stronger on?

2 Likes

go back and bother to read that article -the training template is 6-7 days and very similar to what you posted except with a bunch of tweaks and principles that will actually make it work.

One does not simply dismiss the articles that Badger links

1 Like

What article?

My main goals are size and strenght, im 20, weight 75, bench is 90 kg, squat 95 lg (i know it really sucks) dl 130 kg, weigted chin 32.5 kg added, ohp 55 kg

these aren’t goals dude. This is just common sense when training. Literal goals that you can describe are what I mean. Like saying you wish to squat 300 by May 15th at 185, or wanting to be 205 by June 11th at ~15% bf with semi-visable abs, or growing 1/2 an inch on your arms by March 26th, etc. These are goals. These are what you need to sit down and decide on and think about daily when you train.

As far as what you posted above, as many have said, do what makes you happy. If you wish to be more efficient, get on a proven program like Juggernaut, 5/3/1, Cube, or something of the like. Learn how to program, eat your ass off, and train with a purpose based off the actual goals you create for yourself. At your strength level and weight, you just need to go lift a few times a week and conditioning a few times a week, and eat.

2 Likes