Could I Be Too Mobile to Get Out of the Hole When Squatting Heavy?

So I read this article on tnation the other day: 6 Weeks of Squatting Insanity
This article made me wonder if my hips are TOO lose when squatting. I can comfortably dead lift 455 and box squat 315 for 5x5 (on a very slightly above parallel box.) But when it comes to full depth squats i struggle to do 225 for more than 2 or 3 reps. Ive done a shit ton of mobility work, foam rolling etc for the past 3-4 years. I always squat TOO deep into the hole and cant get it out and lack the strength to not go below parallel it seems. I also have always done high-bar squats and front squats and have done very little low bar, and ive always gone ass to grass because I thought thats what youre supposed to do but am now reconsidering.
Do you think its a possibility that my hips are so loose it weakens me and causes a sticking point in my squats?

Nothing is forcing you to go to the limit of your mobility. You may not get as good a stretch reflex out of the bottom but a wider stance may help you out there.

This is the problem. Some people think this is a competition of how deep you can squat and forget to put weight on the bar.

Every lift is going to have a sticking point one way or another. I would have to see a video but I’m willing to bet that you just aren’t tight enough and lack control.

2 Likes

I personally have to work on cutting depth, especially on heavier weight.

I recommend pausing on your warmups and stay consistent in where you’re pausing.

I do my warm up sets in 3s and 2s.
Example: Working up to 315
Bar - Pause-Pause-No Pause
135 - Pause-Pause-No Pause
185 - Pause-Pause-No Pause
225 - Pause-No Pause
275 - Pause-No Pause
315- Working Set

What angle so you have your feet at? I used to angle out a bit and lose tightness in the hole. Now my feet are straight on and everything feels good again.

I’m very mobile myself so I focus on building tension through my legs and hips on the entire descent. It feels like I’m loading spring and then when I stop pulling myself down I start to just pop up.

I bet you’d get much better feedback if you posted a vid of your squat.

Probably not. It sounds more like you are mobile enough to get into a position you aren’t strong enough to get out of.

So the issue isn’t that you’re too mobile, it’s that you aren’t strong enough.

The solution is either to change your squat so you don’t get into positions you’re too weak to get out of, or get strong enough to get out of those positions.

2 Likes