T Nation

Could Bodybuilding Be Making You Fat?

He makes some worthy points I believe. There has been tons of convos on this…moreso recently…thoughts?

His overall sentiment is bulking has to stop somewhere.

go to 13:30 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBRRiePOIg

why is he topless?

He makes some fair points, I think drugs have really skewed people’s perception with regards to what is possible. Such a high percentage of sportsmen such as NFL and regular gym rats in your commercial gym are on drugs that alot of people think they can get to 250 natural with abs and if they can’t it is due to them being a “hardgainer” or not having good genetics etc when in reality they are generally comparing themselves to people on steroids and it is not because their genetics are poor.

This is particularly true of those who want to bulk up and be huge - obviously it disregards those who will never go above 140lbs for fear of losing their “abs.” Those who want to “bulk up” to some massive weight are kidding themselves in my opinion, they are carrying alot more fat than they realise and/or will admit to themselves. Generally speaking they got interested in BB to be huge and ripped, they just disregard the lean bit over time and are perpetually pretty fat.

Bulking has to be cycled. I’m currently going to go on a four month bulk just to finally get to 220 (I’m 215)…but it will be a careful and uncareless bulk…what I mean is that I’m only going to push the calories as far as I’m comfortable with. As soon as I see my abs start to disappear, I’ll back off a little bit and adjust training accordingly. Bulking has to have an eb and flow so you don’t wind up sloppy afterwards…but different techniques work for different bodies.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
go to 13:30 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBRRiePOIg[/quote]

With limited equipment he finds a way I guess…lol

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
why is he topless?

[/quote]
Cuz Yolo…

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
why is he topless?

[/quote]
Cuz Yolo…[/quote]

For the same reason people on here are not taken all that seriously if they don’t post pics of themselves (myself included).

“If I look good without my shirt on I know what I’m talking about.”

He looks alright, so he may have some points worth listening to, if you want to look like him.

Edited

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
Bulking has to be cycled. I’m currently going to go on a four month bulk just to finally get to 220 (I’m 215)…but it will be a careful and uncareless bulk…what I mean is that I’m only going to push the calories as far as I’m comfortable with. As soon as I see my abs start to disappear, I’ll back off a little bit and adjust training accordingly. Bulking has to have an eb and flow so you don’t wind up sloppy afterwards…but different techniques work for different bodies. [/quote]

Basically this. I am not sure why anyone thinks any of us have just overate nonstop for several years without going through periods of working on conditioning and even trying to lose a little body fat. Uh, no shit…you get fat if you don’t monitor the results you get and just eat more and more nonstop for years.

It’s a good thing I don’t see anyone here recommending that.

I personally had many periods where I had to decide to either keep gaining and worry about any fat gain later or hold progress. That is what happens when you actually try to LIVE a life, go to school go to work , and whatever other responsibilities you may have.

Sure, in a perfect world, you could make some claim to never go above some specific body fa percentage. Good luck with that if your goals involve making HUGE progress in bodybuilding and your career and personal life separately. Beware of people who have lived as personal trainers when your goals involve more than just the gym.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
why is he topless?
[/quote]

The same reason some of us have pictures of ourselves in our avatars. If you haven’t ever built it, don’t expect people to give you the same credit as those who have.

Likewise, if someone is truly a huge gorging fat ass, this is not quite the same as someone who let their body fat percentage slide for a year or two while they concentrated wholly on making the most gains possible in that time frame.

The ends justify the means. If it builds huge fucking muscles that are bigger than most people in the gym, then it works. That’s all there is to it.

Also, my goal was to be bigger than the guy in that video…so I listened to people who had gotten bigger than the guy in that video and kept it up for years.

You can find tons of guys in their 20’s who try to train hard in the gym. The ones who really have it figured out are the huge fuckers who are in their 40’s and have real careers and never left the gym. They know how to get through the rough times and still make big progress.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Also, my goal was to be bigger than the guy in that video…so I listened to people who had gotten bigger than the guy in that video and kept it up for years.

You can find tons of guys in their 20’s who try to train hard in the gym. The ones who really have it figured out are the huge fuckers who are in their 40’s and have real careers and never left the gym. They know how to get through the rough times and still make big progress.[/quote]

44k posts of the same message, we get it :smiley:

oh, and cheeseburgers make up the other 600

This is how the typical bulking cycle should be set up to avoid this problem.

1. Bulk for 20 years
  2. Doctor says you need to lose weight to avoid heart attack at 50
  3. Cut for 20 years.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

1. Bulk for 20 years
  3. Cut for 20 years.[/quote]

worked real well for Michael Clark Duncan…

Mike Chang def looks the part…one reason why I didn’t stop the video…I had to see what his overall vision was before clicking away…lol

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

1. Bulk for 20 years
  3. Cut for 20 years.[/quote]

worked real well for Michael Clark Duncan…[/quote]

TOO SOON…

You can find tons of guys in their 20’s who try to train hard in the gym. The ones who really have it figured out are the huge fuckers who are in their 40’s and have real careers and never left the gym. They know how to get through the rough times and still make big progress.[/quote]

44k posts of the same message, we get it :D[/quote]

LOL…but one of us got big.

LOL…but only one of us got big.

[/quote]

Fixed if for ya…now there’s more of an emphasis in the statement.
Plus, out of the 44k posts about the same thing everytime I read another one I relearn…does that make sense?

LOL…but one of us got big.

[/quote]

you win this round PX…

LOL I do believe though, that bulking/the bulking attitude has created more fat people who are still fat, rather than muscular physiques like X and such.