T Nation

Could Anything Drive You to Suicide?

i'm depressed as all fuck-balls and contemplate suicide all the time. I don't think I could ever actually go through with it, because I'm too fucking chicken, and the truth is that i really don't want to die. i don't want to die but when your quality of life is ruined, maybe it's just better end yourself.

I don't want to talk about my circumstances, but I'm wondering, is there anything that could drive you to commit suicide?

there's a lot of great stuff in the world to experience... but when you no longer have the ability to appreciate any of it, I can see why some people just prefer to off themselves!

To answer your question: No.

May I suggest seeking some professional help?

i'll pass on the professional "help".... i don't want to rely on toxic mind-altering drugs to be happy. sorry to sound like a scientologist but i really dont want anything to do with a psychiatrist

4est (a member here) lost the use of his legs when he was younger. He's confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life. He's expecting a baby in the coming 8 months.

As bad as you think your life is there are people much worse off than you.

Seek help from some where. Look into support groups. They're a great way to get some much needed help you obviously need.

YOU have to help yourself before anybody else can help you.

by the way i used to think that nothing could ever drive me to suicide.... i thought there was something to be said for doing the best you can with the cards you've been dealt. and i still do. but it's a lot harder to do that than you think before something devastating happens.

I am very sorry you feel that way. Understanding you do not want to talk about your situation it still might be helpfull to know a little more about you.
Suicidal thoughts can come at you when you are young and feel that life has no meaning and value. They can also come at you when you are older and seemingly have tried everything to make life better, yet you failed to do so.

Offering you hope seems pointless because we do not know you or what you have gone through but I would like to say one thing that has helped several friends of my best friend, who deals with men and women contemplating suicide (he is a physician and deals with those who have attempted suicide) and that is:"you will find your life when you start living it for some greater good".

Yes, he is parapharsing a quote from Jesus butmy buddy has seen tremendous turn around in peoples lives when they started getting involved in charities, feeding the homeless, tutoring, being a big brother or sister, community service etc.

I myself am no stranger to the feelings you are experiencing but the answer to your question is no, there is nothing that could lead me to suicide. If all else fails, when all my dreams have turned to nightmares, I can still do good to another human being and help make the world a somewhat better place. And what better reason to live is there?

God Bless you. I hope you will turn things around for yourself.

Marc

Here are about 3500 reasons to stay alive:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=556042

Anyways, suicide is selfish. Why would a perfectly healthy human being want to end his/her life? Seriously, watch the travel channel and realize that there is a world to explore. Watch cnn and realize that there are people who have it far worse than you.

The fact about suicide is that it hurts others far more than your current mood. Have you ever lost someone close to you? Why would you even consider doing that to someone you love? Go to the hospital, you think you have it bad buddy, open your eyes and see the ones who are holding onto every breath, not wanting to give in and you want to piss that away. Pathetic.

Travel, learn a trade, play an instrument, study religion, hang out in the politics forum and debate until your fingers fall off, write a novel, read a novel, lift weights, etc. Do something useful with your time, don't waste valuable minutes feeling sorry for your self. Man up! Take charge of your life.

To paraphrase a great story:

A great king wanted his scholars to provide him with the most important thing they learned. They spent years and filled rooms with books. He said it was too much and wanted them to condense it. They gave him a book. He said it was still too much. After a long debate a phrase was coined:

"This too shall pass."

Now that's inspiration! I couldn't have given a better example.

I always thought that if a situation degraded enough to think about that, a person should just pick up and start a new life somewhere else. Assuming of course that it is not something like losing your legs. And it usually isn't. It is generally a situation or group of relationships.

Instead of stopping your life, you could stop associating with anything that defines your life right now, be it an area, job, family, friends, etc. Then try to build back a life somewhere else where you can get enjoyment out of life. That would be my solution if nothing else made sense.

I'm sure there is something that would make me kill myself, but nothing too realistic. If I knew I would be lonely for the rest of my life, perhaps.

As I've learned in the last week (you can see my post in Sex and the Male Animal if you want), it's easy to fall into depression if your life has been like pie in the sky for a while. When something bad happens and disrupts your happiness, you get depressed.

If you're always depressed, maybe you should try to start looking at the positive things in your life.. we all have them, some people get caught up in stressing about the negatives though.

I can't imagine why a perfectly healthy person would wand to end his/her life. Nothing could get me down if I was perfectly healthy.

How about a therapist? Someone you can talk to confidentially and don't necessarily have to get drugs from. Just let them know that you don't want to take any drugs and it shouldnt be a problem. These people exist for a reason, and they do help.

To answer the original question, I can't think of anything right now that would drive me to suicide.

There is always a reason to push forward. No matter how bad things you always have two ways you can go, choose to keep going down or fight to rise above it.

When good things happen we are to be thankful for them, when bad things happen we learn how to pick ourselves back up.

I don't know what's wrong with you, but I can tell you that no matter what it may be that suicide is not the answer. I've been there all too often in my short time on this earth and things have always gotten better. It never happens the way you expect it to, and you may not even realize it at first, but it will change.

You seize it and fight for it, you will reap what you sow, and it may not come easy.

Life gets rough sometimes, at it may seem as if there is nothing left in it worth fighting for. Trust me though, if you can, that it is worth it even if you cannot see it now. You must have faith, not in God but in the idea that while things may be bad now they were not always, and they will become better in the future.

Hold in there man, you can get through this, whatever it is.

I've had the exact same thought. This guys got physical problems he'd be taking with him.

You need help dude. Even if this is a cry for some attention it needs to be addressed by a proffessional. Talk it out, get it out, figure it out.

B.

no cry for attention..... well maybe just a little bit but the main thing is that i'm trying to see where i stand attitute-wise comapred to others. my abilty to deal with shit.

You stand on top of life with your ability to deal with shit, not under it.

Don't be "the driven" - Drive.

Alpha F

When I hear people say things like suicide is "selfish" or that it's "stupid" I get the impression that the person saying that has never suffered from depression. Being unhappy is not the same thing as being depressed.

Depression has the amazing ability to discount all positives while magnifying all negatives. I know this won't help you to understand it, but when there is nothing positive in the world, and you have no hope, you are indeed in a different state of mind.

I've been there all of twice in my life. However, I could still recognize that there would be people that would be hurt... so I never seriously contemplated suicide, but it did cross my mind to the point that I knew why I would never do it.

Anyway, to the OP, let go of the pride and go seek some help. You don't necessarily have to accept medication, but you should talk to some competent people who can help you get a more realistic look at things.

It takes a lot of time, but things change, especially if you work at making them change. While you might feel hopeless and helpless right now, you need to dig deep, find your foundation, and start building from there. I don't know how else to describe it... so I'm sorry if that sounds cheesy.

Most importantly, change is not always negative, though some negative changes may have happened recently. Don't keep things exactly as they are becuase you don't want to have to face more potential change... and be ready for some things you attempt to not work out the way you want. Look for some things to succeed at until you do so.

If this is your way of dealing with shit, its a really bad way.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with stuff, suicide is a pretty shitty way. Ever heard that it takes a strong person to ask for help? Well, suicide isnt help- its pussying out.

I had a very significant loss in my life years ago, it still affects me today. I have never once spoken to a therapist, psychologist, or whatever. I do speak to friends, family, shit, even strangers. I've been told to speak to therapists, but I dont want to. IMO doing something you dont want to wont help the situation. I do suggest you talk to someone who you consider trustworthy and respectful.

If you've ever lost someone close to you, you realize how much it hurts. I'm 100% sure there is someone in your life that, if you were to commit suicide, would experience extreme amounts of hurt. And like previously stated- thats selfish. A problem like this doesnt just involve you- it involves almost everyone whose ever known you.

No matter how you look at it, you need help. Whether you help yourself, get help from someone or something- you still need help. Its also VERY easy to get this help. I suggest you get it, and next time you think about suicide think about your family, friends, teachers, mentors, and peers.

So wait, let me see if I get this straight... you would rather pass on professional "help" (which, FYI, can be counseling and not taking a prescription drugs) and would rather contemplate suicide? Am I missing something here? I cannot contemplate how any anti-depressant could be "toxic" or "mind-altering" enough to be worse than being dead from taking your own life.