T Nation

Cotto vs Canelo

Cotto vs canelo! Here we go!

Canelo either looks sensational or one dimensional.

I fancied him to win by ko but as it gets closer I'm thinking cotto ud.

It's a great fight. Canelo is the faster puncher, cotto the better boxer. Both great power.

Should be brutal.

There are so many arguments for either side.

Cotto is time tested. A veteran with so many world title and high profile fights; his experience has shown in recent years and seems to have a great chemistry with Roach.
Cotto also has years and years of wear and tear on his body.
With 147 being his best weight, one could argue that he has never fought a full blown middleweight;
(Rodriguez 154, Martinez 158.75, Geale 157,) whilst never coming in above 155 himself.

Alvarez is a bigger, younger, fresher guy. He has looked spectacular at times (Kirkland, Angulo;)
and decisively ordinary against those with and upper echelon skill set (FMJ, Lara.)
His physicality is hugely impressive, but he can find it difficult to locate elusive opponents.
He has a solid chin and good defense too. He looks a goood, good fighter, but I expect we will see more of the “finished product” in this fight.

Cotto can be elusive as evidenced in the Margarito fights and defensively astute as evidenced in the Pacquiao, but his preference and his nature are to be the come forward destroyer that tore through the Light welterweight ranks, and demolished the likes of Quintana, Judah, Foreman, Mayorga and more recently Geale.
Cotto, will be leashed by Freddie Roach, but he will still make this fight exciting.

It is my opinion that Cotto has held the higher level of opposition- through sheer quantity!
But this is the factor that will play against him.
With 44 fights to Canelo’s 47, Cotto has taken the harder road and I think at 155,
against a man 10 years his junior, after all the hard fights and their attrition on his body effect it will be a step too far.
I will be rooting for Cotto, but I don’t think fortune will favour him this time.

Crappiest prize of all time anyway. The real winner of this fight is from Kazakhstan.

great analysis. spot on with canelo. I thought he lost to lara. but ive never seen a fighter run more than lara in that fight so I didn’t care.

boxnations played mosely vs cotto last night. great, great fight. I kinda felt shane did enough for the drawbut still.

BUT canelos already admitted he wont be fighting ggg at 160. says it would be at 155. its laughable. I see him vacating if the wbc don’t allow it.

laras an unlucky dude. 2 undeserved (the williams one is a joke) losses on his record and next to no hype around him.

imo hes probably the 2nd best fighter at 154-160. id back him to beat any1 but ggg.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
I thought he lost to lara. but ive never seen a fighter run more than lara in that fight so I didn’t care.
[/quote]
The Cuban’s are so talented, but I abhor the hit and run, run, run strategy.
No sympathy here.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
boxnations played mosely vs cotto last night. great, great fight. I kinda felt shane did enough for the drawbut still.
[/quote]
I actually thought that fight WAS a draw, had to check it!
I think I had it 6-6.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
BUT canelos already admitted he wont be fighting ggg at 160. says it would be at 155. its laughable. I see him vacating if the wbc don’t allow it. [/quote]
Tbh I blame Cotto (and to a lesser extent FMJ) for bastardising the WBC title here. Catch weights should not be allowed for a title fight.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
laras an unlucky dude. 2 undeserved (the williams one is a joke) losses on his record and next to no hype around him.

imo hes probably the 2nd best fighter at 154-160. id back him to beat any1 but ggg. [/quote]
I’ll have to pay attention more to his fights. I love defensive boxing, but hate running, so have often tuned out - or flat out ignored his bouts.

in the last half an hour I believe cotto has been stripped of the wbc title!!! lol what a farce

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
in the last half an hour I believe cotto has been stripped of the wbc title!!! lol what a farce [/quote]

“the WBC stands for We Be Crooks!” - James Toney 1993

hahaha

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
in the last half an hour I believe cotto has been stripped of the wbc title!!! lol what a farce [/quote]

“the WBC stands for We Be Crooks!” - James Toney 1993

hahaha[/quote]

lol. you seen maravilla? prime example. id forgotten how they shamelessly stripped sergio martinez.

dan rafael reporting its because cotto wont pay the 300k sanctioning fee. i hear hes already paid ggg 800k to step aside for this fight. crazy money.

damn, rewatched canelo vs kirkland. canelo gasses in the second round and admits being tired post fight. but he knocks kirkland into another dimension in the 3rd.

heres the promo from the always excellent gorilla productions.

Good for Cotto standing up to those sanctioning bod crooks! Belts are mostly meaningless nowadays anyways.

I watched the first episode of 24/7 sometime this morning.
As usually is the case is when a ‘good guy’ fights a ‘good guy’ it was that bit dull.
It lacked the antagonist figure that was offered by Mayweather for example.

The only point of interest for me was Canelo playing poker for cash on an airplane;
with Oscar De la Hoya also at the table and theatrically sticking up his middle finger to one of the coaches.
Can’t help but wonder if ODLH is actually a bad influence on his golden goose.

As I mentioned, I’ve only seen the first episode, but I hope it will heat up a little more.
The Mexico / Puerto Rico rivalry should serve to fuel the excitement for what already looks like a good fight in the making.

From our brief glimpses into the respective training camps, Alvarez looks to be employing a high pressure game-plan with plenty of focus on body work. Cotto seems to prefer a more moderate pace with more lateral movement and perhaps more focus on singular head shots.

The build-up may be a tad bland, but the fight will not.

Is Cotto sticking with Roach now? Or is he still swapping out trainers like girls swap out tampons?

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Is Cotto sticking with Roach now? Or is he still swapping out trainers like girls swap out tampons?[/quote]

Sticking with. hes said its the best move of his career.

He said he thinks he knockout mayweather with Freddie in his corner. I don’t agree. And Freddie says all his fighters will ko Floyd. BUT I think cotto genuinely believes it.

There aim is to beat canelo and tempt Floyd for fight 50. not a bad idea but I don’t seem him getting past canelo.

or do I…I don’t know. I cant wait

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:
I watched the first episode of 24/7 sometime this morning.
As usually is the case is when a ‘good guy’ fights a ‘good guy’ it was that bit dull.
It lacked the antagonist figure that was offered by Mayweather for example.

The only point of interest for me was Canelo playing poker for cash on an airplane;
with Oscar De la Hoya also at the table and theatrically sticking up his middle finger to one of the coaches.
Can’t help but wonder if ODLH is actually a bad influence on his golden goose.

As I mentioned, I’ve only seen the first episode, but I hope it will heat up a little more.
The Mexico / Puerto Rico rivalry should serve to fuel the excitement for what already looks like a good fight in the making.

From our brief glimpses into the respective training camps, Alvarez looks to be employing a high pressure game-plan with plenty of focus on body work. Cotto seems to prefer a more moderate pace with more lateral movement and perhaps more focus on singular head shots.

The build-up may be a tad bland, but the fight will not.[/quote]

I agree. I thought the same of golovkin lemeiux head to head though.

Tyson fury has spoiled boxing (or at least me). people can say what they like but hes entertaining.

[quote]CarltonJ wrote:
I agree. I thought the same of golovkin lemeiux head to head though.

Tyson fury has spoiled boxing (or at least me). people can say what they like but hes entertaining. [/quote]
Man, it’s funny. I was talking to a guy that I used to box with; he is an Irish traveller; a ‘gypsy’ I guess.

And he hated Fury and all the attention stuff!

My prediction - if Cotto steps back and uses his jab, he wins this fight. Cotto can box, and if he keeps it long, he’s got a great chance of having his jab create holes in Canelo’s defense he can later exploit. Plus, Canelo is prone to taking rounds off, as he did against Trout, and as Napoleon said, you never interrupt your enemy when he’s making a mistake.

But if he steps in and takes it to him, you could see him take a beating. Cotto is great, but Canelo is bigger, younger, probably faster, and punches just as hard. I would not take this ship-of-the-line approach - going muzzle-to-muzzle and trading broadsides could get him badly hurt.

But I think Cotto will try and box his ears off … Cotto UD-12.

So it stopped short of being an absolute war but it was a good fight. Not foty as billed but very enjoyable.

I thought canelo won quite handsomely. Not 119-109 but maybe 8-4 or 9-3.

His head movement was very good and he didn’t seem to be bothered with cottos power. Leading me to conclude canelo is the bigger hitter by some.

What I think is most note worthy is his hand speed. For a big 154 guy or a medium 160 or whatever weight he his…his hand speed is exceptional. And it’s not pitter patter. It’s genuine hurt shots.

You know, at 155 I think he goes the distance with ggg and fuck, beats him…there I said it.

Na. Maybe not . I dunno ha. Canelos an O.G