Cottage Cheese vs. Skim Milk

Why is everyone always so down on skim milk but they love cottage cheese? Is there something that it has or doesn’t that I’m missing?

Thanks

Sugars from Milk = Bad

These sugars can only be stored as liver glycogen or fat.

Sugars from milk can only restore liver glycogen? What?

Derek is correct.

Milk sugars (primarily lactose and galactose) cannot be utilized by the body in such a way that they would refill muscle glycogen. Instead, these sugars will be used to fill glycogen stores in the liver.

In this, they are similar to fructose.

Cottage cheese is superior to skim milk because the P:C ratio per serving is about 3:1 (depending on brand) whereas skim milk would be roughly 1:1.

Hope this helps.

Small correction.

The milk sugars are not lactose and galactose. They are lactose which is made up of glucose and galactose.

Generally speaking, few people tolerate lactose very well, outside those of Scandinavian descent.

While milk may be low on the GI, it is in fact rather high on the II (Insulin Index)

Thunder…Wouldn’t the sugars in milk be exactly the same as the sugars in cottage cheese? So the only real benefit (Which is big) is the 3:1 ratio of protein to carbs?

Well said, Thunder; you beat me to the punch. It’s galactose about which you should be cautious.

No one seemed to meantion the fact that there’s 100 cals 15g of protein in 1/2 cup of light cottage cheese 1.5 g fat and 6 g carbs…but in 1/2 cup of skim milk there’s 45 cals, only 4.4g protein 0.25g fat and 7.5 g carbs.

I’m finding that cottage cheese is starting to bloat the hell out of me…also, for some reason I am becoming lactose intolerant. I used to drink the hell out of milk, but it seems since I turned 25 that I got cheaper car insurance and now milk gives me the runs. What’s up with that? Now cottage cheese is bloating my stomach, I’m testing yogurt to see if it bloats me, if so I’m screwed…I love my yogurt.

did you guys read the article on MM in the last issue. It stated that Skin Mike contained 75% Casien Protien and 25% Whey protien. Now I find that intreasting.

In health,

Silas Chen

I hear a lot of people speak of using cottage cheese, in p-f meal combos, maybe I missed a point, but does cottage cheese have a moderate to high GI? And most cottage cheeses I see have around 6g carbs per serving does this mean that if one were to have the cottage cheese in a p-f meal they would have to stick to a half cup, which is the serving? this is important to me, as I am thinking of replacing my last meal of a GROW shake, and cashew butter, to a tasty cottage cheese, cashew butter, whey protein, cinnamon, splenda, ice cream contraption. So with that said will someone please respond.

Thunder’s back! Good times folks, good times.

Janderstein- According to Berardi, P+F meals can include up to 10 grams of carbs, although there would certainly be wiggle room with that 10 gram number depending on the types of carbs you’re eating, (whether or not it spikes insulin levels a lot.) Just a note…I have a 5 grams of carb per 1/2 cup cottage cheese so I think there are some lower carb options.

But your question makes me wonder…what kind of carbs are in cottage cheese? Do they elicit a significant insulin spike…enough to make us worry about combining it in a P+F meal?

Also…how low carb can cottage cheese get? The one janderstein has is 6 grams, the one I have is 5…what about everyone elses? I’ve also noticed that non-fat cottage cheese brands have more carbs then the low fat versions.

chuckie T, thanks for the respond, in response to you, I thought it was 7 g active carbs in a p-f meal, and I have not ey bought the tasty treat, but am looking to do so once I start my new diet. I have seen some cottage cheeses that are as low as 2g per 1/2 cup, however these are the expensive organic type, I am lucky I live in hippy ville california though. In response to the Q you posed on why fat free has more CHO than the later,I believe this is due to the fact that in absense of fat it is pretty bland, therefore they add some more sugar so it is edible, just a hunch.

Thanks for the welcome Brent. It’s good to be contributing again.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/Carbohydrates.html

I don’t know if anyone else will benefit from this link, but I learned something.

fitone: that is true of all cow’s milk…not just skim.